|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
3. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
5. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
2. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
4. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
6. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
7. Why is Agnes joking about taking her baby to a home, or orphanage, when talking to Michael?
8. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
9. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
10. What is the setting of the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Agnes and Michael are parents to a son and daughter, a fact that influences their characters' decisions and actions. Support your essay with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What good parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
2) What bad parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
3) How has becoming parents changed the relationship between Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any two scenes from the play. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the love between Michael and Agnes using supporting examples. Be sure to address the following:
1) How do Agnes and Michael express their love to one another?
2) Has their love matured between these scenes?
3) What influences the confession of their love to each other in each scene?
This section contains 2,225 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)