|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael asks Agnes for what before she dies?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, what scent does Michael tell Agnes is on his breath?
3. What has changed about the fourposter bed in Act 2 from Act 1?
4. Michael describes himself as a "male animal" that has done what?
5. What insult does Agnes tell Michael in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
2. How do Agnes' feelings differ toward the writings of Michael and the writings of the young poet?
3. What has Michael tried to persuade Agnes with in order that she might like his book?
4. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
5. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
6. How does Michael act in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
7. What does Michael get from the cellar and what are his and Agnes' original plans for it?
8. What unites Agnes and Michael in the attitude toward their son's behavior?
9. What is the nature of the young poet's poem and who is it apparently dedicated to?
10. What is the setting at the beginning of the play?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Michael is portrayed as a man who reforms his life for the love of his wife and family. Analyze his character with supporting examples and answer the following:
1) How has the character of Michael changed from his wedding night to the moving day at the end of the play?
2) Is Michael shown to truly be in love with Agnes throughout the play?
3) How has fatherhood affected Michael's character in relation to his marriage?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Michael and Agnes leave gifts for the newlywed couple moving in. Michael leaves a gift of a bottle of champagne while Agnes leaves the "God Is Love" pillow. Use examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What do the individual gifts represent to the characters of Michael and Agnes?
2) What message are Michael and Agnes trying to deliver to the newlyweds?
3) What is the significance of the combined gift of the fourposter bed as given by both Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 3
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
This section contains 2,247 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)