|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Micheal tell Agnes it is befitting of her to be crying?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, when Michael knocks on the door, what is Agnes doing?
3. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
5. Agnes describes Michael in what way when she is mad at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael set out to do when his son comes home, and what really happens?
2. What is Agnes' description of Michael's new found fame as an author?
3. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
4. What is the setting at the beginning of the play?
5. What is the shift in Michael's actions and treatment toward Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. Why is Michael so scared of the birth of the baby?
7. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
8. Why does Agnes wish she were dead at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Why did Michael react the way he did when he encountered his son returning home?
10. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any two scenes from the play. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the love between Michael and Agnes using supporting examples. Be sure to address the following:
1) How do Agnes and Michael express their love to one another?
2) Has their love matured between these scenes?
3) What influences the confession of their love to each other in each scene?
Essay Topic 2
Michael confesses that Agnes has changed from the princess he married to his closest friend. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) In what ways does Michael treat Agnes as a friend?
2) Does Agnes feel the same way toward Michael?
3) How does this strong friendship influence the marriage between Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play there are intense scenes of drama, but also lighthearted instances of humor. Respond to the following with examples to support your essay:
1) When has humor been used in the play?
2) Why are these situations humorous and are they as humorous to Michael and Agnes as they are to the audience?
3) Why is it important to the author and the audience to break up the dramatic scenes of the play with bursts of humor?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)