|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Michael goes to leave for the doctor, he turns around and does what?
2. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
3. What object(s) does Michael use to call for Agnes?
4. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
5. When Michael grabs Agnes' arm in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens immediately?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michael say he is in love with another woman?
2. What is the setting at the beginning of the play?
3. Why does Agnes keep bringing up the fact that she smells gas from the lamps?
4. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
5. What is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
6. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
7. What has Michael tried to persuade Agnes with in order that she might like his book?
8. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
9. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
10. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes and Michael are portrayed as characters who embody the labels of male and female. Support you answer with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) In what ways does Agnes exemplify femininity?
2) In what ways does Michael exemplify masculinity?
3) What are the positives and negatives associated with femininity and masculinity as presented by the author?
Essay Topic 2
The "God Is Love" pillow is first introduced as a wedding present to Agnes, who leaves it as a gift for the newlywed couple at the end of the play. Using examples to support your answer, compare and contrast the following:
1) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Agnes throughout the play?
2) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Michael throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy has a role in the marriage of Agnes and Michael. It motivates Michael and Agnes to act in certain ways. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of jealousy are found in the play?
2) How have the consequences of the jealous actions of Michael and Agnes affected their marriage?
3) Has the author represented jealousy as a positive or negative force? Why?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)