|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
2. Why is Agnes upset over Michael taking off her shoes?
3. What reason does Agnes give that Michael was the life of the party?
4. What does Agnes throw at Michael when she is mad at him in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Agnes' reaction when Michael recounts his encounter with their son?
2. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
4. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
5. Why are there so many sudden changes of subject in the conversation of Agnes and Michael on their wedding night?
6. How does Michael describe his love for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. What is the setting of the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
8. In the beginning of the play, does it seem as if Agnes and Michael truly love each other?
9. How does Act 3, Scene 1 conclude relating to Agnes and Michael's relationship?
10. How does Agnes describe Michael's parenting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Agnes goes through many changes throughout the play. Beginning with her wedding night and ending with her gift at the end of the play, analyze Agnes' character by answering the following:
1) How is Agnes represented in her youth compared to her older years?
2) How has motherhood changed Agnes?
3) What ways have Agnes' religious beliefs influenced her decisions in life?
4) Is Agnes' character capable of acting selfishly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Michael is portrayed as a man who reforms his life for the love of his wife and family. Analyze his character with supporting examples and answer the following:
1) How has the character of Michael changed from his wedding night to the moving day at the end of the play?
2) Is Michael shown to truly be in love with Agnes throughout the play?
3) How has fatherhood affected Michael's character in relation to his marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Michael confesses that Agnes has changed from the princess he married to his closest friend. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) In what ways does Michael treat Agnes as a friend?
2) Does Agnes feel the same way toward Michael?
3) How does this strong friendship influence the marriage between Michael and Agnes?
This section contains 2,227 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)