|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
2. Michael tells Agnes what shocking confession?
3. What is different about Agnes from the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1 to Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. As Agnes undresses on her wedding night, she gets distracted and comments about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
2. How is the relationship between Agnes and Michael at the very end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
4. How does Act 3, Scene 1 conclude relating to Agnes and Michael's relationship?
5. In what ways does Michael show he cares for Agnes on their wedding night?
6. Why did Michael react the way he did when he encountered his son returning home?
7. What is Agnes' description of Michael's new found fame as an author?
8. Why are there so many sudden changes of subject in the conversation of Agnes and Michael on their wedding night?
9. What does Michael get from the cellar and what are his and Agnes' original plans for it?
10. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Agnes goes through many changes throughout the play. Beginning with her wedding night and ending with her gift at the end of the play, analyze Agnes' character by answering the following:
1) How is Agnes represented in her youth compared to her older years?
2) How has motherhood changed Agnes?
3) What ways have Agnes' religious beliefs influenced her decisions in life?
4) Is Agnes' character capable of acting selfishly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play there are intense scenes of drama, but also lighthearted instances of humor. Respond to the following with examples to support your essay:
1) When has humor been used in the play?
2) Why are these situations humorous and are they as humorous to Michael and Agnes as they are to the audience?
3) Why is it important to the author and the audience to break up the dramatic scenes of the play with bursts of humor?
Essay Topic 3
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
This section contains 2,240 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)