|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. In the closing moments of Act 1, Scene 2, what is the status of Agnes and Michael?
3. What is Agnes carrying into the room when she is first seen in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael's gift to the new couple and where does he leave it?
2. What is the setting at the beginning of the play?
3. Why does Agnes taunt Michael with the idea that she might have had an affair?
4. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
5. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
6. What is the source of conflict between Michael and Agnes in the final scene of the play?
7. What is it that Agnes taunts Michael with in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
9. What does Agnes realize about the bourbon after Michael takes a swig of it?
10. What unites Agnes and Michael in the attitude toward their son's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael confesses that Agnes has changed from the princess he married to his closest friend. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) In what ways does Michael treat Agnes as a friend?
2) Does Agnes feel the same way toward Michael?
3) How does this strong friendship influence the marriage between Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 2
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
Essay Topic 3
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)