|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Agnes try to find Michael's poem on their wedding night?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, Michael is deliriously happy and begs Agnes to tell him what?
3. What insult does Agnes tell Michael in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
5. Michael asks Agnes for what before she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michael describe his love for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
3. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
4. What does Michael read to Agnes to help ease her labor pains?
5. How does Agnes describe Michael's parenting?
6. Why does Agnes wish she were dead at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What stirs Michael to have the courage to express his true feelings for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
9. In what ways does Michael show he cares for Agnes on their wedding night?
10. What has Michael tried to persuade Agnes with in order that she might like his book?
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy has a role in the marriage of Agnes and Michael. It motivates Michael and Agnes to act in certain ways. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of jealousy are found in the play?
2) How have the consequences of the jealous actions of Michael and Agnes affected their marriage?
3) Has the author represented jealousy as a positive or negative force? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play there are intense scenes of drama, but also lighthearted instances of humor. Respond to the following with examples to support your essay:
1) When has humor been used in the play?
2) Why are these situations humorous and are they as humorous to Michael and Agnes as they are to the audience?
3) Why is it important to the author and the audience to break up the dramatic scenes of the play with bursts of humor?
Essay Topic 3
Agnes and Michael are parents to a son and daughter, a fact that influences their characters' decisions and actions. Support your essay with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What good parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
2) What bad parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
3) How has becoming parents changed the relationship between Michael and Agnes?
This section contains 2,277 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)