|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes hold in her hand that she has taken from her wedding cake?
2. As Agnes undresses on her wedding night, she gets distracted and comments about what?
3. What is Michael complaining of at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
5. Michael tells Agnes what shocking confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michael roughly grab Agnes' arm and then kiss her in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
3. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
4. Why is Michael so scared of the birth of the baby?
5. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
6. What does Agnes realize about the bourbon after Michael takes a swig of it?
7. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
8. What does Michael say about his daughter's choice of husband and how has he dealt with the upcoming wedding?
9. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Michael is portrayed as a man who reforms his life for the love of his wife and family. Analyze his character with supporting examples and answer the following:
1) How has the character of Michael changed from his wedding night to the moving day at the end of the play?
2) Is Michael shown to truly be in love with Agnes throughout the play?
3) How has fatherhood affected Michael's character in relation to his marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any two scenes from the play. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the love between Michael and Agnes using supporting examples. Be sure to address the following:
1) How do Agnes and Michael express their love to one another?
2) Has their love matured between these scenes?
3) What influences the confession of their love to each other in each scene?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)