|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agnes is whispering to Michael, what does she see that disgusts her?
2. Near the end of Act 2, Scene 1, why is Michael so upset?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes taunts Michael with what fact?
4. When Agnes goes to the dressing room and returns, what item does she bring with her in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, who does it seem has taken the leadership role in the marriage?
2. Why does Agnes taunt Michael with the idea that she might have had an affair?
3. Why does Agnes wish she were dead at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What has Michael tried to persuade Agnes with in order that she might like his book?
5. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
6. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
7. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What is the source of conflict between Michael and Agnes in the final scene of the play?
9. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
10. What does Michael say about his daughter's choice of husband and how has he dealt with the upcoming wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Michael is portrayed as a man who reforms his life for the love of his wife and family. Analyze his character with supporting examples and answer the following:
1) How has the character of Michael changed from his wedding night to the moving day at the end of the play?
2) Is Michael shown to truly be in love with Agnes throughout the play?
3) How has fatherhood affected Michael's character in relation to his marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Agnes goes through many changes throughout the play. Beginning with her wedding night and ending with her gift at the end of the play, analyze Agnes' character by answering the following:
1) How is Agnes represented in her youth compared to her older years?
2) How has motherhood changed Agnes?
3) What ways have Agnes' religious beliefs influenced her decisions in life?
4) Is Agnes' character capable of acting selfishly? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,289 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)