|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What object(s) does Michael use to call for Agnes?
3. Why does Michael claim he is kneeling before Agnes?
4. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
5. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of the play, does it seem as if Agnes and Michael truly love each other?
2. Why are there so many sudden changes of subject in the conversation of Agnes and Michael on their wedding night?
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship?
4. What does Michael get from the cellar and what are his and Agnes' original plans for it?
5. What does Michael say about his daughter's choice of husband and how has he dealt with the upcoming wedding?
6. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
7. What is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
8. Why does Michael roughly grab Agnes' arm and then kiss her in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
10. How is the relationship between Agnes and Michael at the very end of Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
Each act in the play closes with an embrace between Michael and Agnes. This display of repetition is a literary device used by the author. Respond using examples to support your answer.
1) Does the embrace at the end of each scene always come from the same emotion, such as relief, love or compassion?
2) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the relationship of Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the repetition of the familiar embrace to the audience of the play?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)