Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
3. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
5. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
2. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
4. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
6. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
7. Why is Agnes joking about taking her baby to a home, or orphanage, when talking to Michael?
8. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
9. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
10. What is the setting of the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
There are only two characters with a speaking part in the play, but the fourposter bed can be interpreted as a third character. Using examples to support your response, write an essay answering the following:
1) What ways does the fourposter bed resemble a third character on the stage?
2) How does the fourposter bed influence the events in the marriage between Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the giving of the fourposter bed to the newlywed couple as a conclusion of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The ups and downs of Agnes and Michael's marriage is illustrated throughout the play. Using supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Does the author portray an enduring marriage as something positive or negative?
2) What characteristics are a husband and wife supposed to learn in order to have a successful marriage, according to the play?
3) Is the marriage of Agnes and Michael realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)