|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes tells Michael in Act 1, Scene 2 that he has changed into a what?
2. When Michael grabs Agnes' arm in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens immediately?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, about how much time has passed since the previous scene?
4. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
5. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michael say he is in love with another woman?
2. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
3. Why is Agnes so melancholy at the start of Act 3, Scene 1?
4. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship?
5. What mood is Agnes in when she first enters in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. How do the words embroidered on the pillow affect the wedding night of Agnes and Michael?
7. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
8. Why does Michael think it is a bad idea to leave the "God Is Love" pillow behind?
9. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
10. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is clear that Agnes and Michael are in love on their wedding night, there is still a strong sense of uneasiness being alone with each other. Compare the couple's wedding night with the morning of their move to a new apartment in the last scene.
1) What has changed between Agnes and Michael in their relationship?
2) How do they act toward each other in each situation?
3) What, if anything, has remained the same?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 3
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)