|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
2. What does Agnes think Michael has given up?
3. Michael blames Agnes for what transgression of his?
4. Who does Michael say told him that everything in his life would turn out right and that he would have a happy married life?
5. What is Michael doing at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes keep bringing up the fact that she smells gas from the lamps?
2. What is Agnes' reaction when Michael recounts his encounter with their son?
3. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
4. What do both Agnes and Michael agree to do to calm down while waiting for their son to get home?
5. What does Agnes do while Michael is taking their things to the car?
6. What is the source of conflict between Michael and Agnes in the final scene of the play?
7. How does Agnes describe Michael's parenting?
8. Why is Agnes so melancholy at the start of Act 3, Scene 1?
9. In what ways does Michael show he cares for Agnes on their wedding night?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, who does it seem has taken the leadership role in the marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
Essay Topic 3
The "God Is Love" pillow is first introduced as a wedding present to Agnes, who leaves it as a gift for the newlywed couple at the end of the play. Using examples to support your answer, compare and contrast the following:
1) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Agnes throughout the play?
2) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Michael throughout the play?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)