|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Agnes do when she is on the bed?
3. In the closing moments of Act 1, Scene 2, what is the status of Agnes and Michael?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, Michael is deliriously happy and begs Agnes to tell him what?
5. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 3, Scene 1 conclude relating to Agnes and Michael's relationship?
2. Why does Agnes have a rose in her hand?
3. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
4. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
5. What is the author saying about Agnes' character when she is more concerned about the laundry outside than her labor pains?
6. How does Michael describe his love for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. What message does Michael say he got when he first saw the "God Is Love" pillow on his wedding night?
8. What is Agnes' reaction when Michael recounts his encounter with their son?
9. Why is Agnes joking about taking her baby to a home, or orphanage, when talking to Michael?
10. How do the words embroidered on the pillow affect the wedding night of Agnes and Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Agnes goes through many changes throughout the play. Beginning with her wedding night and ending with her gift at the end of the play, analyze Agnes' character by answering the following:
1) How is Agnes represented in her youth compared to her older years?
2) How has motherhood changed Agnes?
3) What ways have Agnes' religious beliefs influenced her decisions in life?
4) Is Agnes' character capable of acting selfishly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The "God Is Love" pillow is first introduced as a wedding present to Agnes, who leaves it as a gift for the newlywed couple at the end of the play. Using examples to support your answer, compare and contrast the following:
1) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Agnes throughout the play?
2) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Michael throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Agnes and Michael are parents to a son and daughter, a fact that influences their characters' decisions and actions. Support your essay with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What good parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
2) What bad parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
3) How has becoming parents changed the relationship between Michael and Agnes?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)