|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agnes is having labor pains, what does she remind Michael about?
2. What reason does Agnes give that Michael was the life of the party?
3. What does Michael read to Agnes at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. When does Michael finally go for the doctor?
5. What is the time period of the play in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes have a rose in her hand?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship?
3. What is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
4. How does Michael act in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What unites Agnes and Michael in the attitude toward their son's behavior?
6. What does Agnes realize about the bourbon after Michael takes a swig of it?
7. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
8. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
9. What does Michael set out to do when his son comes home, and what really happens?
10. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Infidelity is an event that can ruin a marriage or bring spouses together. Michael confesses his infidelity to Agnes in the play, and the result is a closeness in their relationship for the couple. Using examples to support your answer, respond to the following:
1) What reasons does Michael give for why he cheated on Agnes? Are these reasons validated for Michael? For Agnes?
2) How do Michael and Agnes overcome infidelity and strengthen their relationship?
3) Does Michael's infidelity have a lasting affect on Agnes?
3) Does the author portray infidelity as something that is easily overcome in a marriage?
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 3
The ups and downs of Agnes and Michael's marriage is illustrated throughout the play. Using supporting examples, answer the following:
1) Does the author portray an enduring marriage as something positive or negative?
2) What characteristics are a husband and wife supposed to learn in order to have a successful marriage, according to the play?
3) Is the marriage of Agnes and Michael realistically portrayed? Why or why not?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)