Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
3. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
5. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
2. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
4. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
6. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
7. Why is Agnes joking about taking her baby to a home, or orphanage, when talking to Michael?
8. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
9. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
10. What is the setting of the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
The sudden emergence into the realm of wealth is a life changing occurrence, and it affects the lives of Agnes and Michael. Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) How does the wealth and success of Michael's novel affect the lives and relationship of Michael and Agnes?
2) How do Agnes and Michael adapt to their new found wealth?
3) Does the author portray wealth to be a good or bad influence in people's lives?
Essay Topic 2
There are only two characters with a speaking part in the play, but the fourposter bed can be interpreted as a third character. Using examples to support your response, write an essay answering the following:
1) What ways does the fourposter bed resemble a third character on the stage?
2) How does the fourposter bed influence the events in the marriage between Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the giving of the fourposter bed to the newlywed couple as a conclusion of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is a successful author who seeks approval of his work from his wife Agnes. Crass words from a young poet woo Agnes and bring jealousy from Michael, leading to the strengthening of the couple's marriage. Please respond with examples to the following:
1) In what ways does Michael's profession as author influence his relationship with Agnes?
2) How does Agnes' response to the written works of the young poet and the works of her husband affect her marriage?
3) Does the author seem to be using his life as an inspiration for the play?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)