|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agnes is having labor pains, what does she remind Michael about?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, Agnes proclaims that she does not care about what fact?
3. What is Michael doing at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
5. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
2. Why does Agnes have a rose in her hand?
3. Why did Michael react the way he did when he encountered his son returning home?
4. What is the shift in Michael's actions and treatment toward Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Why does Michael roughly grab Agnes' arm and then kiss her in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. What is it that Agnes taunts Michael with in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. Describe the mood of Agnes during her wedding night.
8. What is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
9. Why is Michael so scared of the birth of the baby?
10. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
Agnes and Michael are portrayed as characters who embody the labels of male and female. Support you answer with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) In what ways does Agnes exemplify femininity?
2) In what ways does Michael exemplify masculinity?
3) What are the positives and negatives associated with femininity and masculinity as presented by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Agnes and Michael are parents to a son and daughter, a fact that influences their characters' decisions and actions. Support your essay with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What good parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
2) What bad parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
3) How has becoming parents changed the relationship between Michael and Agnes?
This section contains 2,225 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)