|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
3. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
5. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes feel so betrayed by Michael?
2. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do Michael and Agnes do as they are waiting for a car to come pick them up in the final scene?
4. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
6. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
7. Why is Agnes joking about taking her baby to a home, or orphanage, when talking to Michael?
8. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
9. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
10. What is the setting of the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
There are several examples of foreshadowing in the play. Michael and Agnes' son seems to take after his father, while Agnes' threat of an affair on her end almost becomes fulfilled. Using examples, respond to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing are used in the play?
2) What impact does this have on the relationship between Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
The "God Is Love" pillow is first introduced as a wedding present to Agnes, who leaves it as a gift for the newlywed couple at the end of the play. Using examples to support your answer, compare and contrast the following:
1) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Agnes throughout the play?
2) What does the "God Is Love" pillow mean to Michael throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
There are only two characters with a speaking part in the play, but the fourposter bed can be interpreted as a third character. Using examples to support your response, write an essay answering the following:
1) What ways does the fourposter bed resemble a third character on the stage?
2) How does the fourposter bed influence the events in the marriage between Agnes and Michael?
3) What is the significance of the giving of the fourposter bed to the newlywed couple as a conclusion of the play?
This section contains 2,225 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)