|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
2. Agnes tells Michael that he has sold his soul for what?
3. When does Michael first comfort Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Michael say that his love has changed for Agnes in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. In the closing moments of Act 1, Scene 2, what is the status of Agnes and Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michael act in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What faults in parenting do Agnes and Michael depict for each other?
3. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
4. Why does Michael roughly grab Agnes' arm and then kiss her in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. How does Agnes describe Michael's parenting?
6. What is the status of Michael and Agnes' relationship at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
7. Why is Michael so scared of the birth of the baby?
8. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
9. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, who does it seem has taken the leadership role in the marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and the need to feel wanted greatly affects the relationship between Michael and Agnes throughout their marriage. Use examples from the play to support your response to the following:
1) When has Agnes felt the need to be wanted and what was her reaction to this feeling?
2) When has Michael felt the need of compassion and what was his reaction to this feeling?
3) By the end of the play, is the problem of the need for compassion solved in the marriage of Agnes and Michael?
Essay Topic 2
Agnes and Michael are parents to a son and daughter, a fact that influences their characters' decisions and actions. Support your essay with examples from the play and respond to the following:
1) What good parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
2) What bad parental characteristics are Agnes and Michael shown to have?
3) How has becoming parents changed the relationship between Michael and Agnes?
Essay Topic 3
Michael confesses that Agnes has changed from the princess he married to his closest friend. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) In what ways does Michael treat Agnes as a friend?
2) Does Agnes feel the same way toward Michael?
3) How does this strong friendship influence the marriage between Michael and Agnes?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)