|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
(a) She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
(b) He loved her at first sight.
(c) They had met in a former existence.
(d) She reminded him of his mother.
2. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
(b) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
(c) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
(d) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Agnes do when she is on the bed?
(a) Cries in bed.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Kicks Michael.
(d) Embraces Michael.
4. What is Michael complaining of at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Intense pain.
(b) Too much noise.
(c) The brightness of the sunlight.
(d) Lack of sleep.
5. Why does Agnes take the side of the bed away from the door?
(a) She is supersticious about the side of the bed.
(b) Michael had already taken his side and she is following along.
(c) She normally sleeps on that side and would feel uncomfortable anywhere else.
(d) She wants Michael to answer the door in case somebody knocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, about how much time has passed since the previous scene?
2. When Agnes goes to the dressing room and returns, what item does she bring with her in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. When Agnes is in bed she swears she is comfortable, but then immediately changes her mind, saying what?
4. When does Michael first comfort Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
2. What is Agnes' reaction when Michael recounts his encounter with their son?
3. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Michael turn around and do as he is about to leave to fetch the doctor?
6. Why does Agnes taunt Michael with the idea that she might have had an affair?
7. What has Michael tried to persuade Agnes with in order that she might like his book?
8. What does Agnes realize about the bourbon after Michael takes a swig of it?
9. How does Michael act in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
10. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)