|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
(a) Rich paintings.
(b) Framed manuscripts of Michael's work.
(c) Pictures of the children.
(d) Embroidered country quilts.
2. What does Agnes hold in her hand that she has taken from her wedding cake?
(a) A miniature groom decoration.
(b) A piece of fruit.
(c) A rose.
(d) A candle.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Michael leaves and shuts the door, Agnes does what?
(a) Open the door and tells him to come back.
(b) Follow after him out the door.
(c) Laugh hysterically.
(d) Lie in bed and cries.
4. When Agnes locks herself in the bathroom on her wedding night, what does she take with her?
(a) Michael's clothes.
(b) A piece of wedding cake.
(c) Her suitcase.
(d) Her favorite book.
5. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
(a) She is not ready to be a mother.
(b) Michael has not received his paycheck yet.
(c) She wants her mother to be present for the birth.
(d) There is still laundry drying outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes tells Michael that he has sold his soul for what?
2. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
4. Why does Agnes stop Michael from calling the doctor?
5. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes have a rose in her hand?
2. Describe the mood of Agnes during her wedding night.
3. What mood is Agnes in when she first enters in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. How is the relationship between Agnes and Michael at the very end of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. How do the words embroidered on the pillow affect the wedding night of Agnes and Michael?
6. What message does Agnes want to tell the young couple by leaving the "God Is Love" pillow on the bed for them?
7. Why is Agnes joking about taking her baby to a home, or orphanage, when talking to Michael?
8. What does Michael turn around and do as he is about to leave to fetch the doctor?
9. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
10. What is the nature of the young poet's poem and who is it apparently dedicated to?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)