|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near the end of Act 2, Scene 1, why is Michael so upset?
(a) He heard that Agnes had a miscarriage.
(b) He still wants but cannot have acceptance from Agnes' parents.
(c) He is thinking that Agnes might have had an affair.
(d) He knows that he has spent all his savings.
2. What is the time period of the play in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what is Michael's selfish concern?
(a) He thinks the doctor will not tend to him.
(b) He feels insignificant compared to the coming baby.
(c) He is hungry and wants to eat right away.
(d) He needs to finish writing his book.
4. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
(a) Michael's sister.
(b) Michael's mother.
(c) Agnes' father.
(d) Agnes' mother.
5. Michael asks Agnes for what before she dies?
(a) Her bank account number.
(b) To see her eyes one last time.
(c) Another child.
(d) A hug and a kiss.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes take the side of the bed away from the door?
2. Agnes describes Michael in what way when she is mad at him?
3. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
4. When Agnes goes to the dressing room and returns, what item does she bring with her in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, Michael is deliriously happy and begs Agnes to tell him what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the young poet's poem and who is it apparently dedicated to?
2. Describe the mood of Agnes during her wedding night.
3. What mood is Agnes in when she first enters in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Why are there so many sudden changes of subject in the conversation of Agnes and Michael on their wedding night?
5. Why does Agnes keep bringing up the fact that she smells gas from the lamps?
6. What message does Michael say he got when he first saw the "God Is Love" pillow on his wedding night?
7. What does Michael say about his daughter's choice of husband and how has he dealt with the upcoming wedding?
8. How does Michael act in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What is it that Agnes taunts Michael with in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What stirs Michael to have the courage to express his true feelings for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)