|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes taunts Michael with what fact?
(a) She might have had an affair.
(b) She has spent all their savings.
(c) She is heiress to a mass fortune.
(d) She might be pregnant again.
2. What is different about Agnes from the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1 to Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She has cut her hair very short.
(b) She is now very pregnant.
(c) She now walks with crutches.
(d) She has gained a lot of weight.
3. When Agnes first enters the room in Act 2, what does she do?
(a) Slam the door.
(b) Spin and twirl in happiness.
(c) Sneeze repeatedly.
(d) Fall down and cry.
4. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
(a) Michael's mother.
(b) Agnes' mother.
(c) Michael's sister.
(d) Agnes' father.
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what is Michael's selfish concern?
(a) He thinks the doctor will not tend to him.
(b) He feels insignificant compared to the coming baby.
(c) He needs to finish writing his book.
(d) He is hungry and wants to eat right away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
3. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
4. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
5. When does Michael finally go for the doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes realize about the bourbon after Michael takes a swig of it?
2. Why are there so many sudden changes of subject in the conversation of Agnes and Michael on their wedding night?
3. What mood is Agnes in when she first enters in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
6. What does Michael get from the cellar and what are his and Agnes' original plans for it?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, who does it seem has taken the leadership role in the marriage?
8. How do Agnes' feelings differ toward the writings of Michael and the writings of the young poet?
9. What does Michael say about his daughter's choice of husband and how has he dealt with the upcoming wedding?
10. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)