|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
(a) She wishes she were dead.
(b) She wishes she could get divorced.
(c) She wishes Michael would love her.
(d) She wishes she would have more children.
2. What is Michael doing at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Sleeping in bed.
(b) Writing in a notebook.
(c) Shaving in the mirror.
(d) Entering through the door.
3. After Michael puts on his coat to leave in Act 1, Scene 2, what is the next thing he does?
(a) Call for help.
(b) Go outside to get the laundry.
(c) Kiss Agnes.
(d) Take off the coat again.
4. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(b) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(c) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
(d) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
5. What is the time period of the play in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
2. What does Agnes believe Michael has prepared for their wedding night?
3. As Michael goes to leave for the doctor, he turns around and does what?
4. What moment does Michael claim to have shared with Agnes before?
5. What does Agnes determine is wrong with Michael at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fourposter bed have importance in Michael's life before even meeting Agnes?
2. What message does Michael say he got when he first saw the "God Is Love" pillow on his wedding night?
3. Why does Michael think it is a bad idea to leave the "God Is Love" pillow behind?
4. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
5. What stirs Michael to have the courage to express his true feelings for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
6. What does Michael say about his daughter's choice of husband and how has he dealt with the upcoming wedding?
7. What is the shift in Michael's actions and treatment toward Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. How do the words embroidered on the pillow affect the wedding night of Agnes and Michael?
9. What has Michael tried to persuade Agnes with in order that she might like his book?
10. Why does Michael roughly grab Agnes' arm and then kiss her in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)