|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, when Michael knocks on the door, what is Agnes doing?
(a) Combing her hair.
(c) Weeping in bed.
(d) Taking off her evening gloves.
2. When does Michael first comfort Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) After Agnes confesses how much she loves Michael.
(b) After Agnes brings in the folded laundry.
(c) After she has labor pains.
(d) After the baby is born.
3. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Another bed.
(b) A dining set.
(c) A rocking chair.
(d) A bassinet.
4. When Michael grabs Agnes' arm in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens immediately?
(a) He twists her arm behind her back.
(b) He kisses her hand.
(c) He dances with her.
(d) He throws her onto the bed.
5. What does Agnes hold in her hand that she has taken from her wedding cake?
(a) A candle.
(b) A piece of fruit.
(c) A miniature groom decoration.
(d) A rose.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
2. When Michael and Agnes are first seen, what are they doing?
3. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
4. In his sullen mood in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Michael compare his relationship to Agnes to?
5. When Agnes is having labor pains, what does she remind Michael about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes taunt Michael with the idea that she might have had an affair?
2. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Why is it important that Michael tells Agnes how much he loves the fact she has cold feet, hiccups and scratches her stomach in her sleep?
4. What does Michael turn around and do as he is about to leave to fetch the doctor?
5. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
6. Describe the mood of Agnes during her wedding night.
7. What stirs Michael to have the courage to express his true feelings for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. How does Act 3, Scene 1 conclude relating to Agnes and Michael's relationship?
9. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
10. What is the shift in Michael's actions and treatment toward Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)