|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michael say that his love has changed for Agnes in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because he is in love with his work.
(b) Because he no longer cares for anyone anymore.
(c) Because she has become ugly and he can no longer look at her.
(d) Because he is in love with another woman.
2. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
(a) A teddy bear.
(b) A heated water bottle.
(c) The clean laundry.
(d) The "God Is Love" pillow.
3. Why is Agnes mad that Michael is wearing a nightshirt?
(a) Michael was supposed to get dressed to go to dinner.
(b) She had not given him permission to change clothes.
(c) Michael said he would never wear a nightshirt.
(d) Her father had worn pajamas for years.
4. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(b) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(c) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
(d) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
5. While Agnes and Michael are in bed on their wedding night, why does Michael lean in to Agnes?
(a) So he can kiss her on the lips.
(b) So she can smell his breath for herself.
(c) So she can help him button his shirt.
(d) So he can get a closer look at her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Agnes try to find Michael's poem on their wedding night?
2. When does Michael finally go for the doctor?
3. Who does Michael say told him that everything in his life would turn out right and that he would have a happy married life?
4. What does Agnes believe Michael has prepared for their wedding night?
5. Michael said he has tried to persuade Agnes with servants, dresses, paintings and money so that she would do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
2. What is the shift in Michael's actions and treatment toward Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Why does Michael say he is in love with another woman?
4. Why does Michael complain that he is feeling horrible pains in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What unites Agnes and Michael in the attitude toward their son's behavior?
6. What is the purpose of the fourposter bed in the first scene?
7. What stirs Michael to have the courage to express his true feelings for Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. In Act 1, Scene 2, who does it seem has taken the leadership role in the marriage?
9. In the beginning of the play, does it seem as if Agnes and Michael truly love each other?
10. How do the words embroidered on the pillow affect the wedding night of Agnes and Michael?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)