|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes taunts Michael with what fact?
(a) She has spent all their savings.
(b) She might have had an affair.
(c) She might be pregnant again.
(d) She is heiress to a mass fortune.
2. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The bed is neatly made.
(b) Only one side of the bed is made, the other is messy.
(c) There is a hand embroidered quilt on the bed.
(d) There are no linens on the bed.
3. What is different about Agnes from the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1 to Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She now walks with crutches.
(b) She is now very pregnant.
(c) She has cut her hair very short.
(d) She has gained a lot of weight.
4. What insult does Agnes tell Michael in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) He had bad breath.
(b) He is a hack writer.
(c) She no longer sees him as her husband.
(d) She has never loved him.
5. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
(a) There is still laundry drying outside.
(b) She wants her mother to be present for the birth.
(c) Michael has not received his paycheck yet.
(d) She is not ready to be a mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agnes is in bed she swears she is comfortable, but then immediately changes her mind, saying what?
2. What does Agnes throw at Michael when they have a fight in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Why is Agnes upset over Michael taking off her shoes?
4. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Agnes do when she is on the bed?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Micheal tell Agnes it is befitting of her to be crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michael say he is in love with another woman?
2. What unites Agnes and Michael in the attitude toward their son's behavior?
3. Why did Michael react the way he did when he encountered his son returning home?
4. What is it that Agnes taunts Michael with in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is the setting of the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
6. What is the conflict at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What is the source of conflict between Michael and Agnes in the final scene of the play?
8. What is it that Agnes wants to do in relation to her marriage on the day of her daughter's wedding?
9. What is Agnes' reaction to the declaration of Michael's true feelings towards her on the day of her daughter's wedding?
10. What is Michael's gift to the new couple and where does he leave it?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)