|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Michael and Agnes' son been doing with his medicine?
(a) Dutifully taking it.
(b) Hiding it in the bourbon bottle.
(c) Selling it to the poor.
(d) Tricking his sister into taking it.
2. Why does Michael go into the cellar?
(a) To see if there is anything overlooked.
(b) To check for some wine to drink.
(c) In order to make sure there is no one down there.
(d) He wants to exercise on the stairs.
3. How does Agnes describe this day to Michael in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The first day of their vacation.
(b) The start of a better life.
(c) The first day of their divorce.
(d) The end of their marriage.
4. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
(a) Writing at his desk.
(b) Sleeping in bed.
(c) Packing a suitcase.
(d) Shaving in the mirror.
5. What does Michael say his son was wearing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) No shoes or socks.
(b) A top hat.
(d) A nightshirt.
6. How many children do Michael and Agnes have?
7. What description does Michael compare himself to at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) A dog in the doghouse.
(b) A frog in a pond.
(c) A cat in a tree.
(d) A fish is the ocean.
8. Agnes says she is leaving the "God Is Love" pillow for who?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her daughter,
(c) The young man.
(d) The young woman.
9. It is apparent that what event is happening in the room at the end of the play?
(a) The tenants are moving out.
(b) There is a party going on.
(c) It has become a children's room.
(d) Redecorating is taking place.
10. Michael comes face to face with what fact about his son?
(a) That his son is an alcoholic.
(b) That his son is a young man.
(c) That his son is a womanizer.
(d) That his son is stealing from him.
11. How does Agnes describe the fourposter bed in the last scene?
(a) The bed had a nice history.
(b) She wishes she could get rid of the bed.
(c) The bed was a bad financial investment.
(d) The bed only has bad memories for her.
12. What does Michael tell Agnes he first thought when he saw the "God Is Love" pillow?
(a) He was trapped in a world of women.
(b) He felt encouraged.
(c) He would never be alone again.
(d) He hated Agnes.
13. How is Agnes and Michael's relationship at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Full of jealousy and anger.
(b) Torn apart by different parenting methods.
(c) On the brink of divorce.
(d) United in love and parenthood.
14. Why does Agnes hug Michael in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She is comforting him.
(b) She misses him.
(c) She is trying to control him.
(d) She is cold.
15. How does Act 3, Scene 2 conclude?
(a) Michael and Agnes fall asleep in bed.
(b) Michael and Agnes' children enter and everyone hugs.
(c) Agnes is left in tears as Michael leaves the room.
(d) Michael carries Agnes out of the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what are Agnes' feelings toward the young poet?
2. Why does Agnes say that she and Michael cannot drink champagne?
3. What does Agnes plan to do with the "God Is Love" pillow in the end of the play?
4. What is on the walls of the room in the last scene?
5. What does Michael do with the foil from the champagne bottle?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)