|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Agnes react to Michael's confession of his true feelings at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) She gets angry and storms out.
(b) She is annoyed and does not believe him.
(c) She is afraid that he is having an affair.
(d) She laughs and cries at the same time.
2. Why does Michael go into the cellar?
(a) In order to make sure there is no one down there.
(b) To check for some wine to drink.
(c) To see if there is anything overlooked.
(d) He wants to exercise on the stairs.
3. What makes Michael so angry in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) His daughter is eloping.
(b) His novel has gotten bad reviews.
(c) His son has not come home from a party.
(d) He thinks Agnes is having an affair.
4. What is Michael first seen doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Storming through the door.
(b) Drinking bourbon.
(c) Folding laundry.
(d) Sleeping in bed.
5. What does Michael accuse Agnes of in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Being an alcoholic.
(c) Being too lenient with their son.
(d) Disciplining their son too much.
6. What does Michael bring back from the cellar?
(a) A bottle of champagne.
(b) An old family photo album.
(c) A crate of wine.
(d) A dead rodent.
7. Where does Michael put the bottle of champagne?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In his suitcase.
(c) On his side of the bed.
(d) In his son's room.
8. Who does Michael say makes him sing?
(a) The young poet.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His fans.
9. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) Late night.
(c) After dinner.
10. In Act 2, Scene 2, about how much time has passed since the last scene?
(a) A few days.
(b) One year.
(c) A few months.
(d) Seven years.
11. What does Michael tell his son in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Get to bed.
(c) Good night.
(d) Good morning.
12. What is Michael doing when he is first seen in the last scene?
(a) Writing at his desk.
(b) Sleeping in bed.
(c) Packing a suitcase.
(d) Shaving in the mirror.
13. What is on the walls of the room in the last scene?
(a) A fresh coat of paint.
(b) Family portraits.
(c) Framed paintings.
(d) Discolored spots on the wallpaper.
14. In Act 3, Scene 1, Agnes is saddened when she thinks about what?
(a) That she looks horrible in her dress.
(b) The idea of divorce for her and Michael.
(c) How much she misses her parents.
(d) The fact that Michael does not need her anymore.
15. What happens after Michael leaves in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) He never returns.
(b) He returns, bringing his son in the room.
(c) He quickly returns and is distracted.
(d) He returns with a platter of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Agnes describe Michael's fathering?
2. Who does Agnes and Michael's son seem to be taking after?
3. What is different about the fourposter bed in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What does Michael say he got a different message and reaction from than Agnes on his wedding night?
5. What position does Michael get into after telling Agnes about what their son was wearing?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)