|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motivates Michael to declare his true feelings to Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The crass words of the young poet.
(b) The anger in Agnes' eyes.
(c) His memories of an early love.
(d) A letter of fan mail that he just read.
2. What does Michael leave to do in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Administer punishment to his son.
(b) Fetch something to eat.
(c) Go and search for his son.
(d) Call the doctor for his sick son.
3. What has Michael and Agnes' son been doing with his medicine?
(a) Tricking his sister into taking it.
(b) Hiding it in the bourbon bottle.
(c) Dutifully taking it.
(d) Selling it to the poor.
4. Where is Agnes in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Entering through the door.
(b) Seated at her dressing table.
(c) In bed sleeping.
(d) Searching for something on the floor.
5. What age are Agnes and Michael in Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) In their twenties.
(d) Almost middle age.
6. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
(a) Because he is trying to steal the poet's work.
(b) Because Michael sincerely likes the poet's work.
(c) To show that he is better than every other writer.
(d) To prove something to Agnes.
7. Why does Michael tell Agnes she should cheer up in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He has had to pretend to be happy, so she should too.
(b) She looks beautiful to him and that he loves her.
(c) Their daughter is marrying a wonderful man and they should be happy.
(d) He has just sold his manuscript and they will have more money.
8. What does Agnes seem to be feeling in relationship to her daughter?
(a) Empty Nest Syndrome.
(b) Uneasiness and lack of control.
(c) Joy and best wishes.
(d) Selfish anger.
9. What type of poetry is the young poet's work?
(d) Children's rhymes.
10. What does Agnes say she wants to do for the young couple?
(a) Give the couple money so they can start a new life.
(b) Let the couple know that marriage is not pleasant.
(c) Give the couple all new furniture and clothes.
(d) Let the couple know that she and Michael had been happy.
11. Why has Agnes become angry with her son?
(a) Her son has been picking on his sister.
(b) Her son is failing in school.
(c) Her son has been talking back.
(d) Her son has been tricking her about his medicine.
12. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
(b) Late night.
(d) After dinner.
13. What does Agnes ask Michael after she finds out what he said to their son?
(a) How much does he love her?
(b) What time is it?
(c) Why did he only say that?
(d) What was their son wearing?
14. What is Michael first seen doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Storming through the door.
(b) Drinking bourbon.
(c) Sleeping in bed.
(d) Folding laundry.
15. What is Michael's reaction after reading the young poet's work?
(b) Brought to tears of sadness.
(d) Jealous of how good it is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Michael so angry about the bourbon bottle?
2. What do Agnes and Michael decide not to do in the last scene?
3. What does Agnes accuse Michael of in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What event is happening that day in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What does Agnes say she does not want to argue about in the last scene?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)