|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael bring back from the cellar?
(a) An old family photo album.
(b) A crate of wine.
(c) A dead rodent.
(d) A bottle of champagne.
2. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
(a) Because Michael sincerely likes the poet's work.
(b) To show that he is better than every other writer.
(c) To prove something to Agnes.
(d) Because he is trying to steal the poet's work.
3. Michael tell Agnes he would have made a run for it on the first night of their marriage had he not been wearing what?
(a) His top hat.
(b) His wedding tuxedo.
(c) Uncomfortable shoes.
(d) Woolen underwear.
4. Who is the young poet's work dedicated to?
(a) Agnes and Michael's son.
(d) Agnes and Michael's daughter.
5. Why does Agnes care about what the young poet does?
(a) The poet is her best friend.
(b) She is excited about upcoming authors.
(c) The poet is her son-in-law.
(d) She is happy that he takes interest in her.
6. What is the status of the relationship of Agnes and Michael at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) They decide to be better parents and shake hands.
(b) They reconcile and embrace.
(c) They are angry and both leave the room.
(d) They fail to see each others' point of view and are uneasy.
7. What type of poetry is the young poet's work?
(b) Children's rhymes.
8. How does Agnes describe Michael's fathering?
(a) Exactly like that of her own father.
(b) Completely ignorant and inexcusable.
(c) Good and proper.
(d) Occasianal fits of hysteria.
9. What does Agnes seem to be feeling in relationship to her daughter?
(a) Selfish anger.
(b) Empty Nest Syndrome.
(c) Uneasiness and lack of control.
(d) Joy and best wishes.
10. What does Agnes describe herself as being all her life?
(a) Happy and content.
(b) Lonely and sad.
(c) An adolescent with a longing heart.
(d) Someone's mother and wife.
11. Where has Michael found the bourbon bottle?
(a) In his son's drawer.
(b) In the servant's quarters.
(c) Under the fourposter bed.
(d) In Agnes' wardrobe.
12. Why is Michael so angry about the bourbon bottle?
(a) He thinks the family cannot afford to be buying bourbon.
(b) Agnes has been hiding it in secret.
(c) His seventeen-year-old son has been hiding the bottle.
(d) He has banned alcohol in the house.
13. What happens after Michael leaves in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) He returns with a platter of food.
(b) He returns, bringing his son in the room.
(c) He never returns.
(d) He quickly returns and is distracted.
14. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
(a) No, Michael calls him a nit wit.
(b) No, Michael calls him poor.
(c) Yes, Michael thinks he is wealthy.
(d) Yes, Michael descibes him as perfect.
15. What is different about the fourposter bed in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The curtains are more conservative.
(b) There are no bed linens.
(c) The curtains are more elaborate.
(d) It has been dismantled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael ask Agnes about the bedclothes in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What does Agnes ask Michael after she finds out what he said to their son?
3. How do Agnes and Michael know of the young poet?
4. Who does Agnes and Michael's son seem to be taking after?
5. What does Michael tell Agnes he first thought when he saw the "God Is Love" pillow?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)