|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Agnes describe the couple moving in?
(a) Poor and sad.
(b) Nice and young.
(c) Young and rich.
(d) Rude and arrogant.
2. Why does Michael tell Agnes she should cheer up in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He has had to pretend to be happy, so she should too.
(b) He has just sold his manuscript and they will have more money.
(c) Their daughter is marrying a wonderful man and they should be happy.
(d) She looks beautiful to him and that he loves her.
3. What does Agnes accuse Michael of in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Favoring their daughter.
(c) Not working hard enough.
(d) Spending too much money.
4. What motivates Michael to declare his true feelings to Agnes in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The anger in Agnes' eyes.
(b) The crass words of the young poet.
(c) His memories of an early love.
(d) A letter of fan mail that he just read.
5. What does Michael leave to do in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Call the doctor for his sick son.
(b) Fetch something to eat.
(c) Administer punishment to his son.
(d) Go and search for his son.
6. Why is Michael so angry about the bourbon bottle?
(a) His seventeen-year-old son has been hiding the bottle.
(b) He thinks the family cannot afford to be buying bourbon.
(c) He has banned alcohol in the house.
(d) Agnes has been hiding it in secret.
7. What does Michael do with the foil from the champagne bottle?
(a) Hide it under the bed linens.
(b) Keep it in his pocket.
(c) Give it to Agnes.
(d) Throw it away.
8. What has Michael and Agnes' son been doing with his medicine?
(a) Dutifully taking it.
(b) Selling it to the poor.
(c) Hiding it in the bourbon bottle.
(d) Tricking his sister into taking it.
9. What does Agnes plan to do with the "God Is Love" pillow in the end of the play?
(a) Take it with her.
(b) Give it to her daughter.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Leave it on the bed.
10. In Act 3, Scene 2, what is the only thing that remains in the room from previous scenes?
(a) The fourposter.
(b) Table and chairs.
(c) Dresser drawers.
(d) A vanity mirror.
11. Why does Agnes hug Michael in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She is trying to control him.
(b) She is comforting him.
(c) She is cold.
(d) She misses him.
12. Where has Michael found the bourbon bottle?
(a) In the servant's quarters.
(b) In his son's drawer.
(c) Under the fourposter bed.
(d) In Agnes' wardrobe.
13. How does Agnes react to Michael's confession of his true feelings at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) She is afraid that he is having an affair.
(b) She is annoyed and does not believe him.
(c) She gets angry and storms out.
(d) She laughs and cries at the same time.
14. What is the first thing that Michael and Agnes agree about in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Concern over their financial issues.
(b) Concern over the fact their son has not come home.
(c) The description of the taste of the bourbon.
(d) The fact that they are both tired and need rest.
15. What does Michael say his son was wearing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) A nightshirt.
(b) A top hat.
(d) No shoes or socks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Agnes and Michael's relationship at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Who does Agnes really love, proven in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Is Michael happy with his daughter's choice of husband, and how does he address his son-in-law?
4. What is Michael's reaction after reading the young poet's work?
5. What is Agnes' response when she hears what Michael tells their son?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)