|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the status of the relationship of Agnes and Michael at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) They decide to be better parents and shake hands.
(b) They reconcile and embrace.
(c) They are angry and both leave the room.
(d) They fail to see each others' point of view and are uneasy.
2. Where does Michael put the "God Is Love" pillow?
(a) In the suitcase.
(b) On Agnes' side of the bed.
(c) In the trashcan.
(d) Underneath the bed.
3. Agnes says she is leaving the "God Is Love" pillow for who?
(a) The young woman.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her daughter,
(d) The young man.
4. How does Agnes describe this day to Michael in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The end of their marriage.
(b) The first day of their vacation.
(c) The start of a better life.
(d) The first day of their divorce.
5. What does Agnes describe herself as being all her life?
(a) Someone's mother and wife.
(b) Happy and content.
(c) Lonely and sad.
(d) An adolescent with a longing heart.
6. What is on the walls of the room in the last scene?
(a) Discolored spots on the wallpaper.
(b) A fresh coat of paint.
(c) Family portraits.
(d) Framed paintings.
7. Why does Agnes care about what the young poet does?
(a) She is happy that he takes interest in her.
(b) The poet is her best friend.
(c) She is excited about upcoming authors.
(d) The poet is her son-in-law.
8. What does Agnes clearly express that she does not want in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) To be happy.
(b) Her daughter to be happy.
(c) A trip.
9. What description does Michael compare himself to at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) A dog in the doghouse.
(b) A fish is the ocean.
(c) A cat in a tree.
(d) A frog in a pond.
10. What is Agnes' reaction after Michael finishes reading the young poet's work?
11. How does Agnes react to Michael's confession of his true feelings at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) She is afraid that he is having an affair.
(b) She gets angry and storms out.
(c) She laughs and cries at the same time.
(d) She is annoyed and does not believe him.
12. Why does Michael ask to reread the young poet's works a second time?
(a) Because he is trying to steal the poet's work.
(b) To prove something to Agnes.
(c) To show that he is better than every other writer.
(d) Because Michael sincerely likes the poet's work.
13. What has Michael and Agnes' son been doing with his medicine?
(a) Tricking his sister into taking it.
(b) Hiding it in the bourbon bottle.
(c) Selling it to the poor.
(d) Dutifully taking it.
14. What does Michael leave to do in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Call the doctor for his sick son.
(b) Go and search for his son.
(c) Fetch something to eat.
(d) Administer punishment to his son.
15. In Act 3, Scene 1, Agnes is saddened when she thinks about what?
(a) The fact that Michael does not need her anymore.
(b) That she looks horrible in her dress.
(c) The idea of divorce for her and Michael.
(d) How much she misses her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of poetry is the young poet's work?
2. What does Michael accuse Agnes of in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What is Agnes holding in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What does Agnes seem to be feeling in relationship to her daughter?
5. Why is Michael so angry about the bourbon bottle?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)