|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
(a) The clean laundry.
(b) A heated water bottle.
(c) A teddy bear.
(d) The "God Is Love" pillow.
2. Why does Agnes stop Michael from calling the doctor?
(a) Agnes thinks the doctor's bill will be too expensive.
(b) Michael wants to call the doctor for himself, but should only call when Agnes needs care.
(c) Agnes does not trust the doctor and wants to find a new one.
(d) Michael wants to call the doctor to help with his headaches.
3. Michael blames Agnes for what transgression of his?
(a) Causing him to spill a drink on his favorite shirt.
(b) Spending their savings.
(c) Firing his favorite servant.
(d) Causing him to find comfort in another woman.
4. When Agnes starts having labor pains, what is the first thing Michael does?
(a) Complain about Agnes' timing.
(b) Go into the bathroom to shave.
(c) Frantically rush to get dressed for the doctor.
(d) Faint onto the fourposter bed.
5. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
(a) Pictures of the children.
(b) Framed manuscripts of Michael's work.
(c) Embroidered country quilts.
(d) Rich paintings.
6. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
(a) That she is a bit tipsy from champagne.
(b) That her legs are weak.
(c) That she is a wonderful dancer.
(d) That she has terrific balance.
7. What is Michael doing at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Writing in a notebook.
(b) Sleeping in bed.
(c) Entering through the door.
(d) Shaving in the mirror.
8. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In a new bed.
(c) In Agnes' arms.
(d) The cradle.
9. When Agnes is in bed she swears she is comfortable, but then immediately changes her mind, saying what?
(a) She is too hot and can smell gas.
(b) She is hungry and her stomach hurts.
(c) She has a headache from a busy day.
(d) She is tipsy from the champagne.
10. When Agnes locks herself in the bathroom on her wedding night, what does she take with her?
(a) A piece of wedding cake.
(b) Michael's clothes.
(c) Her suitcase.
(d) Her favorite book.
11. What does Michael tell Agnes that he has crawled and begged her for?
(a) Understanding and warmth.
(b) More children.
(c) A request for Agnes to write her own novel.
(d) More money.
12. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
(b) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
(c) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
(d) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
13. What clothing are Michael and Agnes wearing in the very beginning of the play?
(a) Michael is in a tuxedo, Agnes is in a wedding gown.
(b) Michael is dressed casually, Agnes is in a nightgown.
(c) Michael is wearing shorts, Agnes is in a polka dot skirt.
(d) Michael is wearing jeans, Agnes is in a black dress.
14. Michael says that Agnes has changed from a "princess" to a what?
15. What does Michael read to Agnes at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The Bible.
(b) His favorite childrens book.
(c) The daily newspaper.
(d) The new book he has started to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, Michael is deliriously happy and begs Agnes to tell him what?
2. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
3. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
4. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
5. Why does Michael claim he is kneeling before Agnes?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)