|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michael wishes he was lying where in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) On the beach.
(b) The cradle.
(c) In a new bed.
(d) In Agnes' arms.
2. What does Agnes tuck into bed with Michael when he is not feeling well?
(a) A teddy bear.
(b) The clean laundry.
(c) The "God Is Love" pillow.
(d) A heated water bottle.
3. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) There are no linens on the bed.
(b) Only one side of the bed is made, the other is messy.
(c) The bed is neatly made.
(d) There is a hand embroidered quilt on the bed.
4. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
(a) The sound she makes when she yawns.
(b) How she sneezes when she brushes her hair.
(c) How she gets cold feet and scratches her stomach in her sleep.
(d) The way she folds laundry.
5. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
(a) She wishes she were dead.
(b) She wishes she could get divorced.
(c) She wishes Michael would love her.
(d) She wishes she would have more children.
6. Why does Agnes stop Michael from calling the doctor?
(a) Michael wants to call the doctor for himself, but should only call when Agnes needs care.
(b) Agnes does not trust the doctor and wants to find a new one.
(c) Michael wants to call the doctor to help with his headaches.
(d) Agnes thinks the doctor's bill will be too expensive.
7. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
(a) Agnes' father.
(b) Michael's sister.
(c) Agnes' mother.
(d) Michael's mother.
8. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A rocking chair.
(b) Another bed.
(c) A dining set.
(d) A bassinet.
9. Why is Agnes mad that Michael is wearing a nightshirt?
(a) Her father had worn pajamas for years.
(b) Michael was supposed to get dressed to go to dinner.
(c) She had not given him permission to change clothes.
(d) Michael said he would never wear a nightshirt.
10. What moment does Michael claim to have shared with Agnes before?
(a) Her sitting there, and him kneeling before her in a rented tuxedo.
(b) Her crying over the state of his top hat.
(c) Saying their vows at their wedding.
(d) Seeing her dressed up in her wedding gown, in the lamplight.
11. In Act 1, Scene 1, what scent does Michael tell Agnes is on his breath?
(a) Wedding cake.
(d) Cigar smoke.
12. What clothing are Michael and Agnes wearing in the very beginning of the play?
(a) Michael is in a tuxedo, Agnes is in a wedding gown.
(b) Michael is wearing jeans, Agnes is in a black dress.
(c) Michael is wearing shorts, Agnes is in a polka dot skirt.
(d) Michael is dressed casually, Agnes is in a nightgown.
13. In Act 2, Scene 1, what has changed about the decor in the room since the last scene?
(a) The room has not changed at all.
(b) The room has sparse decoration.
(c) The room is really messy.
(d) The room is richly decorated
14. About how much time has passed in the setting of Act 1, Scene 2 since the previous scene?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
15. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Micheal tell Agnes it is befitting of her to be crying?
(a) She is a bad wife and he hates her.
(b) Her youth is over.
(c) She is extremely happy.
(d) Women are sensitive and always cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes think Michael has given up?
2. Michael said he has tried to persuade Agnes with servants, dresses, paintings and money so that she would do what?
3. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
4. What is Agnes carrying into the room when she is first seen in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)