|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
(a) Embroidered country quilts.
(b) Pictures of the children.
(c) Framed manuscripts of Michael's work.
(d) Rich paintings.
2. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
(b) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(c) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(d) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
3. Who does Michael say told him that everything in his life would turn out right and that he would have a happy married life?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) A stranger that morning.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His mother.
4. When Michael grabs Agnes' arm in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens immediately?
(a) He kisses her hand.
(b) He dances with her.
(c) He twists her arm behind her back.
(d) He throws her onto the bed.
5. What does Agnes think Michael has given up?
(a) His looks and charm.
(b) The children.
(c) His smoking habit.
(d) The only person who has always loved him.
6. When Agnes starts having labor pains, what is the first thing Michael does?
(a) Faint onto the fourposter bed.
(b) Go into the bathroom to shave.
(c) Frantically rush to get dressed for the doctor.
(d) Complain about Agnes' timing.
7. What is Michael doing at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Shaving in the mirror.
(b) Sleeping in bed.
(c) Writing in a notebook.
(d) Entering through the door.
8. What does Michael tell Agnes that he has crawled and begged her for?
(a) More money.
(b) More children.
(c) A request for Agnes to write her own novel.
(d) Understanding and warmth.
9. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
(a) Call a cab.
(b) Read his novel to her.
(c) Make dinner.
(d) Help her into bed.
10. Michael said he has tried to persuade Agnes with servants, dresses, paintings and money so that she would do what?
(a) Not hate his book.
(b) Go on a trip with him.
(c) Ask for favor from her parents.
(d) Be happy.
11. What reason does Agnes give that Michael was the life of the party?
(a) He had cute little stories.
(b) He could not stop giggling.
(c) His clothing was fabulous.
(d) His cologne was special.
12. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
(a) She wishes she could get divorced.
(b) She wishes Michael would love her.
(c) She wishes she were dead.
(d) She wishes she would have more children.
13. When Michael and Agnes are first seen, what are they doing?
(a) They are arguing over breakfast.
(b) Agnes is leading Michael into the room.
(c) They are holding hands.
(d) Michael is carrying Agnes.
14. At the very end of Act 1, Scene 1, what do Michael and Agnes do?
(a) Fall asleep in bed.
(b) Laugh and kiss.
(c) Argue and part ways.
(d) Embrace in bed.
15. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
(a) "Sweet Dreams."
(b) "God is Love."
(c) "God Bless."
(d) "Newly Married."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Agnes try to find Michael's poem on their wedding night?
2. As Agnes undresses on her wedding night, she gets distracted and comments about what?
3. When Agnes first enters the room in Act 2, what does she do?
4. Agnes tells Michael that he has sold his soul for what?
5. What does Michael read to Agnes at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)