|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Michael finally go for the doctor?
(a) After Agnes' labor pains continue for a while.
(b) After Agnes' mother arrives.
(c) After eating dinner.
(d) After fetching the laundry from outside.
2. Michael says that Agnes has changed from a "princess" to a what?
3. When Michael goes to the washstand on his wedding night, what does he do?
(a) Brush his teeth.
(b) Wash his right ear.
(c) Shave his face.
(d) Comb his hair.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, when Michael knocks on the door, what is Agnes doing?
(a) Weeping in bed.
(b) Combing her hair.
(d) Taking off her evening gloves.
5. How does Act 2, Scene 1 conclude?
(a) Michael and Agnes embrace.
(b) Michael has left Agnes crying on the bed.
(c) Agnes has left Michael for another man.
(d) Agnes reveals that she is pregnant.
6. In his sullen mood in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Michael compare his relationship to Agnes to?
(a) A drone and queen bee.
(b) The sky and the earth.
(c) A fish and a shark.
(d) A royal king and queen.
7. Agnes tells Michael that he has sold his soul for what?
(a) Influence in society.
(b) Her life.
(c) Success of his book.
(d) Good looks.
8. What smell keeps worrying Agnes in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The ocean.
(b) Gas from the lamps.
(c) Smoke from the fireplace.
(d) Cigarette smoke.
9. Michael says to Agnes that he "married a princess" but wakes up to what?
(a) A widow.
(b) An even prettier princess.
(c) A wife, a friend.
(d) A daughter.
10. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
(b) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(c) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(d) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
11. What is the time period of the play in Act 1, Scene 1?
12. What is Michael complaining of at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Too much noise.
(b) Lack of sleep.
(c) Intense pain.
(d) The brightness of the sunlight.
13. When Agnes first enters the room in Act 2, what does she do?
(a) Sneeze repeatedly.
(b) Slam the door.
(c) Fall down and cry.
(d) Spin and twirl in happiness.
14. Michael asks Agnes for what before she dies?
(a) A hug and a kiss.
(b) Another child.
(c) Her bank account number.
(d) To see her eyes one last time.
15. What does Agnes hold in her hand that she has taken from her wedding cake?
(a) A miniature groom decoration.
(b) A candle.
(c) A rose.
(d) A piece of fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what has changed about the decor in the room since the last scene?
2. Why is Agnes upset over Michael taking off her shoes?
3. What moment does Michael claim to have shared with Agnes before?
4. In the closing moments of Act 1, Scene 2, what is the status of Agnes and Michael?
5. Michael tells Agnes what shocking confession?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)