|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michael says to Agnes that he "married a princess" but wakes up to what?
(a) An even prettier princess.
(b) A widow.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A wife, a friend.
2. Why is Agnes upset over Michael taking off her shoes?
(a) Her feet hurt from dancing at their wedding.
(b) She is very ticklish.
(c) He keeps kissing her feet and it makes her uncomfortable.
(d) He is making rude comments about her feet.
3. When does Michael first comfort Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) After she has labor pains.
(b) After Agnes confesses how much she loves Michael.
(c) After Agnes brings in the folded laundry.
(d) After the baby is born.
4. What does Agnes think Michael has given up?
(a) The only person who has always loved him.
(b) His looks and charm.
(c) His smoking habit.
(d) The children.
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, what scent does Michael tell Agnes is on his breath?
(a) Cigar smoke.
(b) Wedding cake.
6. When Agnes is having labor pains, what does she remind Michael about?
(a) The way to sing her favorite lullaby.
(b) They still have time before the baby is born.
(c) She forgot to turn off the oven.
(d) He needs to finish writing his book.
7. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
(a) Framed manuscripts of Michael's work.
(b) Embroidered country quilts.
(c) Pictures of the children.
(d) Rich paintings.
8. What is Agnes' reply when Michael says that he has started writing a new book?
(a) She is jealous and angry.
(b) She is excited and happy.
(c) She will throw it away.
(d) She will read it tomorrow.
9. What is Michael complaining of at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Intense pain.
(b) Lack of sleep.
(c) Too much noise.
(d) The brightness of the sunlight.
10. How does Act 2, Scene 1 conclude?
(a) Michael has left Agnes crying on the bed.
(b) Michael and Agnes embrace.
(c) Agnes reveals that she is pregnant.
(d) Agnes has left Michael for another man.
11. What is the time period of the play in Act 1, Scene 1?
12. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes taunts Michael with what fact?
(a) She has spent all their savings.
(b) She might be pregnant again.
(c) She is heiress to a mass fortune.
(d) She might have had an affair.
13. In Act 1, Scene 1, Michael is deliriously happy and begs Agnes to tell him what?
(a) That she wants to marry him.
(b) That she will go on vacation with him.
(c) That she is happy too.
(d) That she will help him write a poem.
14. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she has never seen a man naked before.
(c) That she lied to him about her age.
(d) That she has been married once before.
15. About how much time has passed in the setting of Act 1, Scene 2 since the previous scene?
(a) Five years.
(b) A week.
(c) A month.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes tells Michael in Act 1, Scene 2 that he has changed into a what?
2. When Agnes locks herself in the bathroom on her wedding night, what does she take with her?
3. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, Agnes proclaims that she does not care about what fact?
5. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)