|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
(a) Pictures of the children.
(b) Rich paintings.
(c) Embroidered country quilts.
(d) Framed manuscripts of Michael's work.
2. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
(a) Agnes' father.
(b) Michael's sister.
(c) Agnes' mother.
(d) Michael's mother.
3. What is the time period of the play in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Why does Agnes take the side of the bed away from the door?
(a) She normally sleeps on that side and would feel uncomfortable anywhere else.
(b) She wants Michael to answer the door in case somebody knocks.
(c) She is supersticious about the side of the bed.
(d) Michael had already taken his side and she is following along.
5. What has changed about the fourposter bed in Act 2 from Act 1?
(a) The fourposter is no longer in the room.
(b) The fourposter is broken in half.
(c) The fourposter is bare and has no blankets or sheets on it.
(d) The fourposter is now draped with rich curtains.
6. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
(b) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
(c) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
(d) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
7. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Micheal tell Agnes it is befitting of her to be crying?
(a) Her youth is over.
(b) She is extremely happy.
(c) Women are sensitive and always cry.
(d) She is a bad wife and he hates her.
8. What does Michael tell Agnes that he has crawled and begged her for?
(a) More money.
(b) A request for Agnes to write her own novel.
(c) More children.
(d) Understanding and warmth.
9. As Michael goes to leave for the doctor, he turns around and does what?
(a) Starts arguing with Agnes.
(b) Fetches his new manuscript to take with him.
(c) Moves the bassinet close to Agnes.
(d) Kisses Agnes many times.
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, what is Michael's selfish concern?
(a) He is hungry and wants to eat right away.
(b) He feels insignificant compared to the coming baby.
(c) He needs to finish writing his book.
(d) He thinks the doctor will not tend to him.
11. Michael blames Agnes for what transgression of his?
(a) Causing him to spill a drink on his favorite shirt.
(b) Spending their savings.
(c) Firing his favorite servant.
(d) Causing him to find comfort in another woman.
12. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Agnes do when she is on the bed?
(a) Goes to sleep.
(b) Cries in bed.
(c) Embraces Michael.
(d) Kicks Michael.
13. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
(a) She wishes she would have more children.
(b) She wishes she could get divorced.
(c) She wishes Michael would love her.
(d) She wishes she were dead.
14. Michael said he has tried to persuade Agnes with servants, dresses, paintings and money so that she would do what?
(a) Be happy.
(b) Ask for favor from her parents.
(c) Go on a trip with him.
(d) Not hate his book.
15. What is Michael complaining of at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(b) The brightness of the sunlight.
(c) Intense pain.
(d) Too much noise.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michael finally go for the doctor?
2. Agnes describes Michael in what way when she is mad at him?
3. Why is Agnes upset over Michael taking off her shoes?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
5. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)