|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object(s) does Michael use to call for Agnes?
(a) A horn.
(b) A whistle.
(c) Pots and pans.
(d) An oversized dinner bell.
2. What does Agnes think Michael has given up?
(a) His smoking habit.
(b) His looks and charm.
(c) The only person who has always loved him.
(d) The children.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes taunts Michael with what fact?
(a) She might be pregnant again.
(b) She has spent all their savings.
(c) She is heiress to a mass fortune.
(d) She might have had an affair.
4. Michael describes himself as a "male animal" that has done what?
(a) His duty and should be dismissed.
(b) Found his mate for life.
(c) Cheated on Agnes.
(d) Fallen ill and must be taken to the hospital.
5. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
(a) Take the child to a new home.
(b) Give the child to her parents.
(c) Keep the child and get divorced.
(d) Raise the child as her own sibling.
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Michael leaves and shuts the door, Agnes does what?
(a) Open the door and tells him to come back.
(b) Laugh hysterically.
(c) Follow after him out the door.
(d) Lie in bed and cries.
7. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
(a) There is still laundry drying outside.
(b) Michael has not received his paycheck yet.
(c) She wants her mother to be present for the birth.
(d) She is not ready to be a mother.
8. Michael blames Agnes for what transgression of his?
(a) Spending their savings.
(b) Causing him to spill a drink on his favorite shirt.
(c) Causing him to find comfort in another woman.
(d) Firing his favorite servant.
9. Why does Agnes stop Michael from calling the doctor?
(a) Michael wants to call the doctor for himself, but should only call when Agnes needs care.
(b) Michael wants to call the doctor to help with his headaches.
(c) Agnes thinks the doctor's bill will be too expensive.
(d) Agnes does not trust the doctor and wants to find a new one.
10. What is Agnes' reply when Michael says that he has started writing a new book?
(a) She is excited and happy.
(b) She will throw it away.
(c) She is jealous and angry.
(d) She will read it tomorrow.
11. What is Agnes carrying into the room when she is first seen in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Dinner trays.
(b) The family cat.
(c) A newborn baby.
(d) A pile of clean laundry.
12. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
(a) The sound she makes when she yawns.
(b) How she sneezes when she brushes her hair.
(c) How she gets cold feet and scratches her stomach in her sleep.
(d) The way she folds laundry.
13. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
(b) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(c) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(d) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
14. In his sullen mood in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Michael compare his relationship to Agnes to?
(a) A fish and a shark.
(b) A drone and queen bee.
(c) The sky and the earth.
(d) A royal king and queen.
15. In Act 2, Scene 1, about how much time has passed since the previous scene?
(a) Ten years.
(b) A month.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) A week.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, what scent does Michael tell Agnes is on his breath?
2. When does Michael first comfort Agnes in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
4. Agnes describes Michael in what way when she is mad at him?
5. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)