|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Micheal tell Agnes it is befitting of her to be crying?
(a) Women are sensitive and always cry.
(b) She is a bad wife and he hates her.
(c) Her youth is over.
(d) She is extremely happy.
2. Near the end of Act 2, Scene 1, why is Michael so upset?
(a) He knows that he has spent all his savings.
(b) He still wants but cannot have acceptance from Agnes' parents.
(c) He heard that Agnes had a miscarriage.
(d) He is thinking that Agnes might have had an affair.
3. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Another bed.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A dining set.
(d) A bassinet.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes asks Michael to do what for her?
(a) Help her into bed.
(b) Call a cab.
(c) Make dinner.
(d) Read his novel to her.
5. Why does Agnes stop Michael from calling the doctor?
(a) Agnes thinks the doctor's bill will be too expensive.
(b) Agnes does not trust the doctor and wants to find a new one.
(c) Michael wants to call the doctor to help with his headaches.
(d) Michael wants to call the doctor for himself, but should only call when Agnes needs care.
6. Where does Agnes try to find Michael's poem on their wedding night?
(a) Under the bed.
(b) In the pillowcase.
(c) In the trunk.
(d) In his pockets.
7. In Act 1, Scene 1, Michael is deliriously happy and begs Agnes to tell him what?
(a) That she is happy too.
(b) That she wants to marry him.
(c) That she will go on vacation with him.
(d) That she will help him write a poem.
8. Michael tells Agnes what shocking confession?
(a) He won a fortune gambling.
(b) He is bankrupt.
(c) He is having an affair.
(d) He is an orphan.
9. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
(a) Raise the child as her own sibling.
(b) Take the child to a new home.
(c) Give the child to her parents.
(d) Keep the child and get divorced.
10. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
(a) Agnes' mother.
(b) Michael's sister.
(c) Agnes' father.
(d) Michael's mother.
11. What does Michael read to Agnes at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The daily newspaper.
(c) His favorite childrens book.
(d) The new book he has started to write.
12. When does Michael finally go for the doctor?
(a) After eating dinner.
(b) After Agnes' labor pains continue for a while.
(c) After Agnes' mother arrives.
(d) After fetching the laundry from outside.
13. In his sullen mood in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Michael compare his relationship to Agnes to?
(a) A drone and queen bee.
(b) The sky and the earth.
(c) A royal king and queen.
(d) A fish and a shark.
14. When Agnes goes to the dressing room and returns, what item does she bring with her in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) Her wedding gown.
(c) The "God Is Love" pillow.
(d) Her hand mirror.
15. What does Michael change into after Agnes retreats to the bathroom on their wedding night?
(a) A suit with a top hat and bowtie.
(b) Just his nightshirt.
(c) His jeans and a sweater.
(d) His nightshirt, nightcap, coat and trousers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agnes is having labor pains, what does she remind Michael about?
2. When Agnes locks herself in the bathroom on her wedding night, what does she take with her?
3. Why does Michael claim he is kneeling before Agnes?
4. What smell keeps worrying Agnes in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What clothing are Michael and Agnes wearing in the very beginning of the play?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)