|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Agnes carrying into the room when she is first seen in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Dinner trays.
(b) The family cat.
(c) A newborn baby.
(d) A pile of clean laundry.
2. What does Agnes throw at Michael when they have a fight in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The dinner bell.
(b) Her shoe.
(c) His book.
(d) The "God Is Love" pillow.
3. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
(a) "God is Love."
(b) "Sweet Dreams."
(c) "God Bless."
(d) "Newly Married."
4. When Michael goes to the washstand on his wedding night, what does he do?
(a) Brush his teeth.
(b) Wash his right ear.
(c) Comb his hair.
(d) Shave his face.
5. What is Michael complaining of at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(b) Too much noise.
(c) The brightness of the sunlight.
(d) Intense pain.
6. When Michael and Agnes are first seen, what are they doing?
(a) They are holding hands.
(b) Agnes is leading Michael into the room.
(c) Michael is carrying Agnes.
(d) They are arguing over breakfast.
7. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
(b) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
(c) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
(d) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
8. What does Agnes hold in her hand that she has taken from her wedding cake?
(a) A candle.
(b) A miniature groom decoration.
(c) A piece of fruit.
(d) A rose.
9. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
(a) Agnes' mother.
(b) Agnes' father.
(c) Michael's sister.
(d) Michael's mother.
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, about how much time has passed since the previous scene?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) A week.
(c) Ten years.
(d) A month.
11. After Michael puts on his coat to leave in Act 1, Scene 2, what is the next thing he does?
(a) Call for help.
(b) Take off the coat again.
(c) Kiss Agnes.
(d) Go outside to get the laundry.
12. What smell keeps worrying Agnes in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Smoke from the fireplace.
(b) Gas from the lamps.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Cigarette smoke.
13. What is different about Agnes from the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1 to Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She has cut her hair very short.
(b) She now walks with crutches.
(c) She is now very pregnant.
(d) She has gained a lot of weight.
14. When Agnes locks herself in the bathroom on her wedding night, what does she take with her?
(a) A piece of wedding cake.
(b) Michael's clothes.
(c) Her favorite book.
(d) Her suitcase.
15. At the very end of Act 1, Scene 1, what do Michael and Agnes do?
(a) Fall asleep in bed.
(b) Embrace in bed.
(c) Laugh and kiss.
(d) Argue and part ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, Agnes proclaims that she does not care about what fact?
2. When Agnes is whispering to Michael, what does she see that disgusts her?
3. What does Michael read to Agnes at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. As Agnes undresses on her wedding night, she gets distracted and comments about what?
5. Agnes tells Michael in Act 1, Scene 2 that he has changed into a what?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)