|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What attribute(s) of Agnes does Michael proclaim to love?
(a) How she sneezes when she brushes her hair.
(b) The way she folds laundry.
(c) The sound she makes when she yawns.
(d) How she gets cold feet and scratches her stomach in her sleep.
2. What has been added to the scenery in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A rocking chair.
(b) A bassinet.
(c) A dining set.
(d) Another bed.
3. When Agnes locks herself in the bathroom on her wedding night, what does she take with her?
(a) Her suitcase.
(b) A piece of wedding cake.
(c) Her favorite book.
(d) Michael's clothes.
4. Why does Agnes take the side of the bed away from the door?
(a) She normally sleeps on that side and would feel uncomfortable anywhere else.
(b) Michael had already taken his side and she is following along.
(c) She wants Michael to answer the door in case somebody knocks.
(d) She is supersticious about the side of the bed.
5. Michael blames Agnes for what transgression of his?
(a) Spending their savings.
(b) Firing his favorite servant.
(c) Causing him to find comfort in another woman.
(d) Causing him to spill a drink on his favorite shirt.
6. How does Act 2, Scene 1 conclude?
(a) Agnes reveals that she is pregnant.
(b) Michael and Agnes embrace.
(c) Agnes has left Michael for another man.
(d) Michael has left Agnes crying on the bed.
7. Michael said he has tried to persuade Agnes with servants, dresses, paintings and money so that she would do what?
(a) Ask for favor from her parents.
(b) Not hate his book.
(c) Be happy.
(d) Go on a trip with him.
8. Why does Michael say that his love has changed for Agnes in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because he is in love with his work.
(b) Because he no longer cares for anyone anymore.
(c) Because he is in love with another woman.
(d) Because she has become ugly and he can no longer look at her.
9. What is special about the condition of the linens on the fourposter bed in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The bed is neatly made.
(b) There is a hand embroidered quilt on the bed.
(c) There are no linens on the bed.
(d) Only one side of the bed is made, the other is messy.
10. While Agnes and Michael are in bed on their wedding night, why does Michael lean in to Agnes?
(a) So he can get a closer look at her eyes.
(b) So she can smell his breath for herself.
(c) So he can kiss her on the lips.
(d) So she can help him button his shirt.
11. What does Agnes say she will do with the new baby if Michael is unhappy?
(a) Give the child to her parents.
(b) Raise the child as her own sibling.
(c) Keep the child and get divorced.
(d) Take the child to a new home.
12. After Michael puts on his coat to leave in Act 1, Scene 2, what is the next thing he does?
(a) Kiss Agnes.
(b) Take off the coat again.
(c) Go outside to get the laundry.
(d) Call for help.
13. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
(a) Michael has not received his paycheck yet.
(b) She wants her mother to be present for the birth.
(c) She is not ready to be a mother.
(d) There is still laundry drying outside.
14. Michael asks Agnes for what before she dies?
(a) Her bank account number.
(b) Another child.
(c) A hug and a kiss.
(d) To see her eyes one last time.
15. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
(a) That she has terrific balance.
(b) That her legs are weak.
(c) That she is a bit tipsy from champagne.
(d) That she is a wonderful dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Micheal tell Agnes it is befitting of her to be crying?
2. In the closing moments of Act 1, Scene 2, what is the status of Agnes and Michael?
3. Why does Michael claim he is kneeling before Agnes?
4. Michael describes himself as a "male animal" that has done what?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1 Agnes taunts Michael with what fact?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)