|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Agnes sits on the bed in Act 2, Scene 1, she repeatedly says what?
(a) She wishes she would have more children.
(b) She wishes she were dead.
(c) She wishes Michael would love her.
(d) She wishes she could get divorced.
2. At the very end of Act 1, Scene 1, what do Michael and Agnes do?
(a) Argue and part ways.
(b) Fall asleep in bed.
(c) Laugh and kiss.
(d) Embrace in bed.
3. When Agnes is in bed she swears she is comfortable, but then immediately changes her mind, saying what?
(a) She is hungry and her stomach hurts.
(b) She is too hot and can smell gas.
(c) She is tipsy from the champagne.
(d) She has a headache from a busy day.
4. Agnes describes Michael in what way when she is mad at him?
5. Michael says that Agnes has changed from a "princess" to a what?
6. Michael blames Agnes for what transgression of his?
(a) Causing him to find comfort in another woman.
(b) Firing his favorite servant.
(c) Causing him to spill a drink on his favorite shirt.
(d) Spending their savings.
7. When Agnes starts having labor pains, what is the first thing Michael does?
(a) Faint onto the fourposter bed.
(b) Frantically rush to get dressed for the doctor.
(c) Go into the bathroom to shave.
(d) Complain about Agnes' timing.
8. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
(a) They had met in a former existence.
(b) She reminded him of his mother.
(c) She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
(d) He loved her at first sight.
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, Agnes proclaims that she does not care about what fact?
(a) If she ever sees Michael or the children again.
(b) If she never sees her parents again.
(c) If the servants hear them fighting or not.
(d) If she never has another child.
10. What is hanging on the walls in Act 2?
(a) Embroidered country quilts.
(b) Rich paintings.
(c) Framed manuscripts of Michael's work.
(d) Pictures of the children.
11. Michael said he has tried to persuade Agnes with servants, dresses, paintings and money so that she would do what?
(a) Go on a trip with him.
(b) Not hate his book.
(c) Ask for favor from her parents.
(d) Be happy.
12. Michael tells Agnes what shocking confession?
(a) He is an orphan.
(b) He is bankrupt.
(c) He won a fortune gambling.
(d) He is having an affair.
13. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
(a) "Sweet Dreams."
(b) "God is Love."
(c) "God Bless."
(d) "Newly Married."
14. As Michael goes to leave for the doctor, he turns around and does what?
(a) Fetches his new manuscript to take with him.
(b) Moves the bassinet close to Agnes.
(c) Kisses Agnes many times.
(d) Starts arguing with Agnes.
15. What does Agnes determine is wrong with Michael at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He is suffering from migraines.
(b) He has the flu.
(c) He is having sympathy labor pains.
(d) He has not eaten, and needs to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Agnes trying to prove by standing on one leg?
2. Agnes tells Michael that he has sold his soul for what?
3. What object(s) does Michael use to call for Agnes?
4. While Agnes and Michael are in bed on their wedding night, why does Michael lean in to Agnes?
5. What does Michael tell Agnes that he has crawled and begged her for?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)