Act 1, Scene 1
• It is the wedding night of Agnes and Michael.
• The night is awkward between the new husband and wife, as neither know how to act.
• Michael makes clumsy advances on Agnes, who rebukes him repeatedly with any distraction she can think of.
• Michael tells Agnes that he believes they met in a former life.
• Michael tells Agnes that a gypsy foretold a long and happy marriage for him.
• The "God Is Love" pillow is on the fourposter bed, adding another level of uncomfortableness to the evening.
• The couple is overwhelmed by the day.
• Agnes uses distractions to get close to Michael in bed, smelling the champagne on his breath.
• The scene closes with the couple embracing.
Act 1, Scene 2
• A year has passed since the wedding night, and there is a bassinet in the room.
• Agnes is very pregnant.
• Michael is having pains of self-pity, being scared...
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)