|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The speaker's interlocutor in Part II of "Little Gidding" says that "next year's words await another" what?
2. According to the speaker of "Little Gidding," history may be either freedom or what?
(b) The future.
3. What is said in Part III of "The Dry Salvages" to be "no healer"?
4. The third part of "Little Gidding" says that Sin is what?
5. The speaker says in the first part of "Little Gidding" that "what you thought you came for / Is only a" what?
6. Which of the following are the passengers on the train, not said to be settled, in Part III of "The Dry Salvages"?
(a) Business letters.
7. The hedgerow is said in Part I of "Little Gidding" to be "blanched for an hour with transitory blossom" of what?
(a) Celestial tears.
8. The speaker states in "Little Gidding"'s first part that "you are here... Where prayer has been valid" to do what?
(a) Instruct yourself.
(c) Carry report.
9. The speaker asserts in Part I of "The Dry Salvages" that the sea has many what?
(a) Tragedies and failings.
(b) Gods and voices.
(c) Truths and half-truths.
(d) Stories and whispers.
10. According to the speaker, the brown god's rhythm "was present in the nursery bedroom, / In the rank ailanthus of" the dooryard of what month?
11. What is the "it" in "The Dry Salvages," Part II's final clause, "is what it always was"?
(a) The halcyon day.
(b) The sudden fury.
(d) The ragged rock.
12. The interlocutor of Part II of "Little Gidding" states that the "Fullfed beast shall kick " what?
(a) The societal structure.
(b) The vile trough.
(c) The underfed man.
(d) The empty pail.
13. "But to apprehend / The point of intersection of the timeless / With time, is an occupation for" whom according to Part V of "The Dry Salvages"?
(a) The common man.
(b) The philosopher.
(c) The saint.
(d) The mystic.
14. Into what are the "tongues of flame" said to be enfolded in the last lines of the poem, found in "Little Gidding"?
(a) The soul of all souls.
(b) The rose.
(c) The crowned knot of fire.
(d) The Beatific Vision.
15. The last two lines of Part IV of "Little Gidding" state that "We only live, only suspire / Consumed by either" what or what?
(a) Truth or lies.
(b) Love or hate.
(c) Water or fire.
(d) Fire or fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what are the "children in the apple-tree... heard, half-heard" in the last part of "Little Gidding"?
2. History is said, in Part V of "Little Gidding," to be a pattern of what?
3. It is said in Part II of "The Dry Salvages" that man cannot think of "a future that is not liable / Like the past, to have no" what?
4. The speaker of Part III of "The Dry Salvages" states that there is a voice descanting what?
5. What is heard under "the oppression of the silent fog" in the first part of "The Dry Salvages"?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)