|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the speaker in the "East Coker"'s fifth part claim becomes stranger as man grows older?
(b) His love.
(c) The truth.
(d) The world.
2. To what agony do the "Whisper of running streams" and "The laughter in the garden" point, according to Part III of "East Coker"?
(a) Autumn and winter.
(b) Freedom and responsibility.
(c) Death and birth.
(d) Love and loss.
3. What is happening to "the hills and the trees, the distant panorama / And the bold imposing facade" in "East Coker"'s second part?
(a) They are being rolled away.
(b) They are being disintegrated.
(c) They are being covered up.
(d) They are being devoured.
4. With what are the "tattered arras" woven in Part I of "East Coker"?
(a) A silent motto.
(b) A field-mouse.
(c) Luminescent thread.
(d) Disconsolate eyes.
5. What is disturbed on the bowl of rose-leaves, as mentioned in the first part of "Burnt Norton"?
(b) Time future.
(d) The bird.
6. Into what world does the speaker mention descending in the third part of "Burnt Norton"?
(a) The world of ineffable sound.
(b) The world of perpetual solitude.
(c) The world of lachrymose souls.
(d) The world without man.
7. What does the speaker, in Part I of "East Coker" state that his auditor can hear in the open field on a summer midnight?
8. In Part II of "East Coker," against what does the "Scorpion" fight?
(a) The Stars.
(c) The Moon.
(d) The Sun.
9. What, towards the end of "Burnt Norton"'s first part, rose quietly out of the water that came from sunlight?
(a) The lotos.
(b) The bird.
(c) The cloud.
10. The speaker states in the third part of "East Coker" that "In order to arrive at what you do not know / You must go by a way which is the way of" what?
11. The first part of "Burnt Norton" says that footfalls echo in what?
(a) The memory.
(b) The bowl of rose-leaves.
(c) Time future.
(d) The rose-garden.
12. The speaker states that a new world and the old are made what in Part II of "Burnt Norton"?
(d) Spiritually imbued.
13. The first line of Part III of "Burnt Norton" states that "here is a place of" what?
(d) Time future.
14. What, in the first line of "Burnt Norton," Part IV, are "time and the bell" said to have buried?
(a) The day.
(b) The truth.
(c) The sun.
(d) The night.
15. What did the speaker say to his soul twice in Part III of "East Coker"?
(a) You are dead.
(b) Be still.
(c) Let us go.
(d) Where art thou?
Short Answer Questions
1. The speaker states, in the first part of "Burnt Norton," that what "might have been" is a(n) what?
2. What month is mentioned in the first line of the second part of "East Coker"?
3. To whose funeral(s) do they all, in "East Coker," Part III, go?
4. Under what are all of the dancers gone, according to the last line of Part II of "East Coker"?
5. What does the speaker state is eternally present in Part I of "Burnt Norton"?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)