|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through East Coker.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The speaker states in the third part of "East Coker" that "In order to arrive at what you do not know / You must go by a way which is the way of" what?
2. By what are "Men and bits of paper" whirled about in "Burnt Norton," Part III?
(a) The cold wind.
(b) The eddies of time.
(c) The gyre of history.
(d) The vacillation of spirit.
3. In the fifth part of "East Coker" the speaker claims that there is only the fight to do what?
(a) Revitalize the human race.
(b) Recover what has been lost.
(c) Renew what has grown stale.
(d) Distance oneself from failure.
4. The speaker questions whether or not who had "deceived us / Or deceived themselves" in Part II of "East Coker"?
(a) The quiet-voiced elders.
(b) The ethereally moving lights.
(c) The smiling-eyed ancients.
(d) The soft-spoken whispers.
5. What does the speaker in the "East Coker"'s fifth part claim becomes stranger as man grows older?
(b) The truth.
(c) The world.
(d) His love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to "the hills and the trees, the distant panorama / And the bold imposing facade" in "East Coker"'s second part?
2. By what is the "sultry light" absorbed in Part I of "East Coker"?
3. What is the last phrase of Part I of "East Coker"?
4. "Old timber" goes to what, in Part I of "East Coker"?
5. With what does the "periphrastic study in a worn-out poetical fashion" leave one to wrestle, as stated in the second part of "East Coker"'?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)