|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through East Coker.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what agony do the "Whisper of running streams" and "The laughter in the garden" point, according to Part III of "East Coker"?
(a) Love and loss.
(b) Freedom and responsibility.
(c) Death and birth.
(d) Autumn and winter.
2. To whose funeral(s) do they all, in "East Coker," Part III, go?
(a) The petty contractors'.
(b) The Director's.
(d) Their own.
3. What does the speaker of East Coker parallel with "death" in the final lines of Part I of "East Coker"?
4. Of what growing terror does the speaker mention seeing in the deepening "mental emptiness," in Part III of "East Coker"?
(a) Of being alone with oneself.
(b) Of starving to death.
(c) Of having no one to talk to.
(d) Of having nothing to think about.
5. The pattern of what, according to the speaker's meditation in Part V of "East Coker," becomes more complicated?
(a) Dead and living.
(b) Truth and falsity.
(c) Speaking and hearing.
(d) Reality and appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. The speaker claims in Part V of "East Coker" that what "is most nearly itself / When here and now cease to matter"?
2. What is happening to "the hills and the trees, the distant panorama / And the bold imposing facade" in "East Coker"'s second part?
3. If "we" in Part IV of "East Coker" do well in the whole earth, as "our hospital," of what shall we die?
4. Time past and time future are said to "Allow but a little" what near the end of Part II of "Burnt Norton"?
5. The speaker says that "each venture / Is a new" what in Part V of "East Coker"?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)