|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Dry Salvages.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goes in and out of "unwholesome lungs" in Part III of "Burnt Norton"?
(d) Whispered prayers.
2. How many years "largely wasted, the years of l'entre deux guerres," does the speaker mention having passed in Part V of "East Coker"?
3. What is the last phrase of Part I of "East Coker"?
(a) The dawn wind.
(b) I am here.
(c) In my end.
(d) In my beginning.
4. By what are "Men and bits of paper" whirled about in "Burnt Norton," Part III?
(a) The cold wind.
(b) The vacillation of spirit.
(c) The eddies of time.
(d) The gyre of history.
5. What must there not be in the way wherein one goes in order to get "there," according to the speaker of Part III of "East Coker"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The speaker states in the third part of "East Coker" that "In order to arrive at what you do not know / You must go by a way which is the way of" what?
2. Into what did the characters of "Burnt Norton"'s first part look towards the end?
3. "Our own past is covered," says the speaker of Part II of "The Dry Salvages," "by the currents of" what?
4. What does the speaker of East Coker parallel with "death" in the final lines of Part I of "East Coker"?
5. In addition to the life of the present individual and his peers, the speaker says in Part II of "The Dry Salvages" that "the past experience revived in the meaning / Is not the experience of one life only," but of whom?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)