|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the chapter, what kind of vehicle is the assassin using?
2. What is in Bond's flask?
3. Von Hammerstein counts down for the gunmen in what language?
4. Who tells Bond about the gypsy camp?
5. How does M know the Havelocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting of Phillip Masters and Rhoda Llewellyn.
2. Who saves Bond? And how?
3. Besides murdering her parents, what else do Von Hammerstein and his goons do to threaten Judy?
4. After killing the first spy, what gets Bond into trouble when he tries to deal with the others?
5. Why does Bond remark that he would rather fly slowly and comfortably than fast and uncosseted?
6. Describe Major Gonzales.
7. What is the Law of the Quantum of Solace?
8. Describe Echo Lake.
9. What does M mean when he says that every man in the fleet knows what to do except the commanding admiral?
10. Describe the place Bond discovers the spies to be hiding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In FOR YOUR EYES ONLY Bond exhibits luxurious and refined tastes in respect to drinking, women, and commercial air travel, to name a few. How might Bond's career as a licensed killer be directly and indirectly related to his cultivation of these tastes? Discuss citing at least three specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Fleming frequently relies on foreshadowing in FOR YOUR EYES ONLY to build suspense. Find three examples of this device in the novel and demonstrate how each works to involve the reader more deeply in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout FOR YOUR EYES ONLY James Bond struggles with the appropriateness of killing. Explore three instances of this conflict. When does Bond feel killing is appropriate and/or justified? When does he feel it is not? Do you agree or disagree?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)