|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty," which immigrant group drew the clearest parallels between the fight for the Union and the fight for liberty in their home country?
2. After the burning at Chambersburg, what disease broke out in the prison camp at Charleston?
3. By 1864, when a captain in the 5th Alabama wrote of the burning of Chambersburg, how much money did he say soldiers demanded from their victims' houses?
4. In 1862, after two friends had been killed in an ambush in the Shenandoah Valley, a soldier from which state wrote "we are to take no prisoners after this"?
5. In "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty," how does McPherson say Southern whites preferred to term "slavery"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 9: Slavery Must be Cleaned Out," what convinced non-abolitionist Union soldiers that slavery was an evil that must be stopped?
2. Describe the information and political education level maintained by soldiers in "Chapter 7: On the Altar of My Country."
3. At the close of "Chapter 12: The Same Holy Cause," what final lessons does McPherson hope readers take from the book?
4. In the discussion of revenge, why does McPherson say that the Confederate army was more motivated by hatred and revenge than the Union?
5. In the discussion of vengeance, what disturbing instructions did some soldiers send in letters home to their wives?
6. In Lincoln's discussions of democracy, what fear did he express if the South should be allowed to secede?
7. When McPherson discusses the extra incentive Confederate soldiers had to keep fighting, what does he say about the Northern opinion of Southern soldiers?
8. In the discussion of the mail service, why was it more difficult for the Confederate army to maintain efficient mail service than it was for the Union army?
9. Under what conditions were black soldiers allowed to join the Confederate army during the final year of the Civil War?
10. What can be considered ironic about the Confederate fascination with liberty, as discussed in "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the effect of the French concept of "rage militaire" during the Civil War with once instance of the same phenomenon in more modern times. In what ways has the effect of this phenomenon on society changed over time? In what ways is the effect the same? Include supporting quotes and information from the text and outside research as necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Civil War soldiers' reactions to fear in their first few battles and the accompanying desire to prove themselves as courageous individuals. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using all available references to officers of both armies, compare and contrast Union and Confederate officers. In what ways did their talents and methodologies differ? Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)