|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the discussion of the issues that arose from the Emancipation Proclamation, McPherson says that it sparked a moral crisis in the Union armies during the winter of what year(s)?
2. While talking about the Emancipation Proclamation's effect on Union morale, McPherson says that, in comparison to enlisted men, what percentage of officers supported emancipation?
3. In "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty," how does McPherson say Southern whites preferred to term "slavery"?
(a) Southern rights.
(b) Southern way of life.
(c) Southern ingenuity.
(d) Southern institutions.
4. During the discussion of what sustained soldiers during the Civil War, which of the following played a large part in maintaining morale?
5. During the discussion of what sustained soldiers during the Civil War, what does McPherson say was a dominant theme in the letters home?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the discussion of the psychological and physiological issues soldiers faced in 1864, a private in the 100th Pennsylvania wrote that he slept one night out of how many?
2. As "Chapter 11: Vengeance Will be Our Motto" opens, which is an essential component, according to McPherson, of the masculine code of honor?
3. When talking about the frustrations of Union soldiers in the last two years of the war, what amount do readers learn drafted men could pay to acquire a substitute?
4. After the burning at Chambersburg, what disease broke out in the prison camp at Charleston?
5. After discussing how the language of soldiers in letters home is cliche today, McPherson says that which writer noted that World War I made words like "glory" mock-heroic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the discussion of post-traumatic stress disorder, how likely does McPherson consider the possibility that many regiments suffered from this now well-acknowledged psychological issue?
2. In the discussion of revenge, why does McPherson say that the Confederate army was more motivated by hatred and revenge than the Union?
3. McPherson denies, in the discussion of liberty, that Southern soldiers were obsessed with slavery. What statistical evidence does he supply to support this?
4. What difference did class and education make in terms of support when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation?
5. When McPherson discusses the extra incentive Confederate soldiers had to keep fighting, what does he say about the Northern opinion of Southern soldiers?
6. How did Northern soldiers initially respond when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation?
7. Explain the massacres of black soldiers, as discussed in "Chapter 11: Vengeance Will be Our Motto."
8. Why, in the discussion of the mail service, does McPherson say that efficient mail delivery was so important?
9. What types of letters did Confederate soldiers begin sending home toward the end of "Chapter 11: Vengeance Will be Our Motto"?
10. In the discussion of the mail service, why was it more difficult for the Confederate army to maintain efficient mail service than it was for the Union army?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)