|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1864, when a captain in the 5th Alabama wrote of the burning of Chambersburg, how much money did he say soldiers demanded from their victims' houses?
2. As "Chapter 11: Vengeance Will be Our Motto" ends, McPherson says that no army broke until the Army of Tennessee after which of the following battles in 1864?
(a) Spring Hill.
(c) Fort Fisher.
(d) King's Hill.
3. When talking about how some soldiers' wives felt they had greater responsibility to their families than the founding fathers, a lieutenant from which regiment received letters from his wife complaining about raising three children without him?
(a) 23rd New Jersey.
(b) 4th Illinois.
(c) 16th Arkansas.
(d) 41st Ohio.
4. While talking about the difficulties wives left behind faced, McPherson mentions a sergeant in the 21st Ohio whose wife had written that "your country's cause is my cause." What was her name?
5. From which state was the private who wrote in January 1862, after speaking to a slave whose husband had been beaten, that he was convinced of the "cruelty and inhumanity of the system"?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1862, soldiers from which state felt a redoubled commitment to the war effort when large portions of their home state fell to the "insolent invader"?
2. The November 8, 1865, diary entry of a sergeant in the 8th Ohio cavalry noted that how many members of his regiment had voted for Lincoln, as opposed to sixteen votes for McClellan?
3. According to "Chapter 9: Slavery Must be Cleaned Out," what fraction of Union soldiers came from Democratic backgrounds?
4. In the discussion of the Emancipation Proclamation, McPherson says that in his sample of Union soldiers, what percentage favored emancipation through the spring of 1863?
5. After the battle of Antietam, the colonel of the 20th Massachusetts disappeared and was later found wandering without food or water and without having changed clothes for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what conditions were black soldiers allowed to join the Confederate army during the final year of the Civil War?
2. Why, in the discussion of the mail service, does McPherson say that efficient mail delivery was so important?
3. Why are there no letters from black Union soldiers, according to "Chapter 9: Slavery Must be Cleaned Out"?
4. When McPherson discusses the extra incentive Confederate soldiers had to keep fighting, what does he say about the Northern opinion of Southern soldiers?
5. What types of letters did Confederate soldiers begin sending home toward the end of "Chapter 11: Vengeance Will be Our Motto"?
6. Explain the phenomenon of "dry rot," as discussed in "Chapter 10: We Know That We Are Supported at Home."
7. In Lincoln's discussions of democracy, what fear did he express if the South should be allowed to secede?
8. In what way did the Confederate soldiers identify with the Founding Fathers in the discussion of the concept of liberty?
9. What can be considered ironic about the Confederate fascination with liberty, as discussed in "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty"?
10. In "Chapter 9: Slavery Must be Cleaned Out," what convinced non-abolitionist Union soldiers that slavery was an evil that must be stopped?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)