|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which individual was one of the highest-ranking Jewish officials during the war, who denounced the Emancipation Proclamation to his wife in January 1863?
(a) General James Vernon.
(b) Colonel Marcus Speigel.
(c) Private Chauncey Welton.
(d) Captain Clement L. Vallandigham.
2. In the discussion of a Louisiana cavalry sergeant who'd been the headmaster of a boys' school prior to enlisting, by what battle does the soldier cite Yankee hatred as his reason to fight?
(d) Pleasant Hill.
3. After the battle of Antietam a soldier in the 21st Mississippi wrote his parents that he wanted to collect what Yankee body part for his sister, Anna?
(c) Ear lobes.
4. Right before the battle of Gettysburg, a lieutenant in the 53rd Georgia wrote to his wife, that Pennsylvania was the greatest country he'd ever seen; what was his wife's name?
5. When discussing the assertions of patriotism as a motivation for fighting, what percentage of the 429 Confederate letters and diaries used as sources affirmed this motivation?
6. After the three month Peninsula campaign, a Pennsylvania private wrote that he had lived on how many crackers from Thursday through Monday?
7. In 1862, after two friends had been killed in an ambush in the Shenandoah Valley, a soldier from which state wrote "we are to take no prisoners after this"?
(c) New Jersey.
8. In the discussion of the psychological and physiological issues soldiers faced in 1864, a private in the 100th Pennsylvania wrote that he slept one night out of how many?
9. As McPherson explains Southern bitterness toward the North, from which state was the soldier who wrote in June 1863 that he felt his regiment should take horses, burn houses, and cause chaos?
(a) North Carolina.
10. As "Chapter 12: The Same Holy Cause" opens, McPherson says that Civil War soldiers never heard of all BUT WHICH of the following terms?
(b) Psychiatric casualties.
(c) Battle fatigue.
(d) Shell shock.
11. As "Chapter 10: We Know That We are Supported at Home" opens, which of the following is NOT one of the main sources of combat motivation?
(c) Group cohesion.
12. A forty year old captain of the 18th Massachusetts wrote his wife in August 1862 that he'd rather fight for years than for his sons to continue it. In what battle was he killed four months later?
(b) Malvern Hill.
(c) Bull Run.
13. When a sergeant in the 8th Georgia wrote to his family in 1863 that he would willingly sacrifice his life upon the altar of his country, readers learn that he did so in which battle?
(a) Second Manassas.
(d) Bull Run.
14. In "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty," which immigrant group drew the clearest parallels between the fight for the Union and the fight for liberty in their home country?
(a) Irish Americans.
(b) Russian Americans.
(c) German Americans.
(d) Italian Americans.
15. Which soldier in the 103rd Ohio denounced the Emancipation Proclamation in letters to family from January to March of 1863?
(a) Captain Clement L. Vallandigham.
(b) General James Vernon.
(c) Private Chauncey Welton.
(d) Colonel Marcus Speigel.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the discussion of what sustained soldiers during the Civil War, which of the following played a large part in maintaining morale?
2. Which individual won the nomination for governor of Ohio on an antiwar platform in June 1863?
3. While talking about the Emancipation Proclamation's effect on Union morale, McPherson says that, in comparison to enlisted men, what percentage of officers supported emancipation?
4. From which state was the major whose letter home during the summer of 1862 contained the line "slavery must be cleaned out," from which the title of the chapter was inspired?
5. In the discussion of Southern bitterness toward the North, from which state was the corporal who wrote it would be best "if the whole Yankee race could be swept from the face of the earth"?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)