|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing various war memoirs, McPherson mentions that Union artilleryman John Billings wrote which of the following?
(a) Hard Tack and Coffee.
(b) On the Altar of Freedom.
(c) The Rebel Yell and the Yankee Hurrah.
(d) Hard Marching Every Day.
2. During the discussion of leadership, which of the following Generals had a very different reputation at Gettysburg than he had earlier at Malvern Hill?
(a) General James Thomas.
(b) General Willis Gorman.
(c) General Mercer Tomlinson.
(d) General Lewis Armistead.
3. During the discussion of "short-timers" psychology in the Union army, what was the name of the rule that prevented this phenomenon in the Confederate army?
(a) Southern Congress.
(b) Congress of Confederates.
(c) Richmond Confederacy.
(d) Richmond Congress.
4. By 1863, McPherson states, trouble and sorrow in the dis-United States was almost beyond calculation, as the war had claimed how many lives?
5. In his discussion of his ancestor, Jesse Beecher, McPherson says that in 1862 Beecher enlisted with the 112th New York at what age?
6. When the 7th Vermont was called forward in June 1862, which of the following regiments pouted while Vermont celebrated?
(a) 14th Vermont.
(b) 2nd Ohio.
(c) 9th Pennsylvania.
(d) 12th Connecticut.
7. After a Texas soldier wrote his wife in 1863 that he hoped a friend would shoot him if ever he showed the "white feather," he was killed during which of these battles?
(a) Pleasant Hill.
(b) Sewell's Point.
(c) Stones River.
(d) Fort Donelson.
8. During the discussion of leadership, a captain in the 1st North Carolina told his daughter ___________ that he would not be a tree dodger.
9. During the story of Sarah Rosetta Wakeman, what is the name of the battle in which she fought?
(a) Pleasant Hill.
(b) Middle Creek.
(c) New Bern.
(d) Fort Macon.
10. In his discussion of those soldiers who were not so heroic, McPherson mentions that these men were referred to as all BUT WHICH of the following?
11. In May 1861, a lieutenant in a Pennsylvania regiment wrote he would not enlist for a period longer than ________, unless his country needed him, in which case he'd enlist for life.
(a) 3 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
12. During the Bristoe campaign, from which state was the sergeant who disobeyed a surgeon's order to go to the hospital because he was afraid of the suspicion attached?
13. When McPherson and his cousin visit the four Civil War battlefields near Fredericksburg, Virginia, he notes that it is the day after which of the following holidays?
(c) Labor Day.
14. After the battle of Seven Pines, a captain from which state wrote that he was fine as long as there was battle but that afterward he was quite sick for a few days?
(c) North Carolina.
15. During the Seven Days battles, the 83rd Pennsylvania suffered what percentage of casualties?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the discussion of alcohol abuse in some regiments, from which state was the sergeant who wrote that the captains were rum suckers?
2. In his discussion of duty, what does McPherson say Confederate soldiers are more likely to speak of?
3. In 1864, an officer in which regiment wrote of a successful attack on Confederate lines, defending the Weldon Railroad near Petersburg?
4. When discussing various war memoirs, McPherson mentions that John Haley of Maine wrote which of the following?
5. After the story from the soldier who experienced the glaze of war during the battle at Gaines Mill, McPherson notes that another term for this phenomenon is what?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)