|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, The Same Holy Cause.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When discussing various war memoirs, McPherson mentions that Union artilleryman John Billings wrote which of the following?
(a) Hard Marching Every Day.
(b) On the Altar of Freedom.
(c) The Rebel Yell and the Yankee Hurrah.
(d) Hard Tack and Coffee.
2. In the discussion of a Louisiana cavalry sergeant who'd been the headmaster of a boys' school prior to enlisting, by what battle does the soldier cite Yankee hatred as his reason to fight?
(c) Pleasant Hill.
3. During the discussion of "short-timers" psychology in the Union army, what was the name of the rule that prevented this phenomenon in the Confederate army?
(a) Congress of Confederates.
(b) Southern Congress.
(c) Richmond Congress.
(d) Richmond Confederacy.
4. In "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty," which immigrant group drew the clearest parallels between the fight for the Union and the fight for liberty in their home country?
(a) Italian Americans.
(b) Irish Americans.
(c) Russian Americans.
(d) German Americans.
5. According to "Chapter 4: If I Flinched I Was Ruined," the ultimate test of leadership was what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 7: On the Altar of my Country," how did soldiers frequently misspell the word "altar"?
2. Which soldier in the 103rd Ohio denounced the Emancipation Proclamation in letters to family from January to March of 1863?
3. In the explanation of the Rebel Yell, McPherson quotes a soldier from which state who had said he would never yell during battle, but had anyway?
4. In 1863, a thirty-three year old private in the 2nd Ohio Cavalry wrote that his side must win, lest the march of Liberty be held back by all BUT WHICH of these?
5. Which most notorious massacre of black prisoners happened on April 12, 1864?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)