|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, The Same Holy Cause.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a Quaker captain in the 5th New Jersey was threatened to be turned out of his faith if he did not resign, he found he could not leave and was later killed in which battle?
(b) Bull Run.
(c) Second Manassas.
(d) Pleasant Hill.
2. When discussing Southern motives for fighting, McPherson mentions a farmer in the 26th Tennessee who said that all BUT WHICH of the following were at stake?
3. While discussing differing interpretations of liberty from North and South, McPherson quotes a Texas cavalryman with Forrest who wrote that the issue was all BUT WHICH of these?
4. During the discussion of leadership, a captain in the 1st North Carolina told his daughter ___________ that he would not be a tree dodger.
5. When McPherson says that grousing about war has long been a soldier's privilege, he notes an officer from which state who wrote that these "soldiers will fight like bull dogs"?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the discussion of primary group cohesion, McPherson says it has existed since time immemorial but was studied during World War II in all BUT WHICH of these soldiers?
2. In 1864, an officer in which regiment wrote of a successful attack on Confederate lines, defending the Weldon Railroad near Petersburg?
3. In the discussion of the "fighting drunk" terminology, Confederate soldiers were accused of an unlikely combination of whiskey and what?
4. After the battle of Antietam a soldier in the 21st Mississippi wrote his parents that he wanted to collect what Yankee body part for his sister, Anna?
5. As McPherson begins to describe the training regimen kept by soldiers, he quotes a young man from Indiana who wrote what relative, complaining a soldier "is not his own man"?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)