|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, On the Altar of My Country.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the battle of Chancellorville, a lieutenant in the 17th Connecticut wrote home that the captain had resigned and gone home; what was the captain's name?
(a) Captain Marks.
(b) Captain Lucy.
(c) Captain Thomas.
(d) Captain Sully.
2. When the 7th Vermont was called forward in June 1862, which of the following regiments pouted while Vermont celebrated?
(a) 9th Pennsylvania.
(b) 2nd Ohio.
(c) 14th Vermont.
(d) 12th Connecticut.
3. In May 1864 the 7th New York was delighted to be ordered into action; they were less excited nine months later after having lost how many men?
4. Which of the following Generals retrieved his character during the Battle of Fair Oaks?
(a) General James Thomas.
(b) General Lewis Armistead.
(c) General Willis Gorman.
(d) General Mercer Tomlinson.
5. When discussing the mark of honor, which of the following did Civil War soldiers most wish to avoid?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the discussion of the conflict between love of family and love of country, McPherson quotes an Alabama soldier as saying he worried for his wife if they failed. What was his wife's name?
2. As McPherson discusses the officer in the 4th Alabama, who was determined to fight a "black republican" leader, he reveals that leader is what relation to him?
3. During the Seven Days battles, the 83rd Pennsylvania suffered what percentage of casualties?
4. In the story of James and John Welsh, McPherson says that John--who enlisted with the 27th Virginia--was killed during which of the following battles?
5. When talking about the relationships between enlisted men and their officers, McPherson notes a major from which state who visited his sick and wounded soldiers every day?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)