|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What monstrous force(s) were born into modern times at the expense of a relationship with the natural world?
2. After what point may a shaman have access to a superhuman plane?
3. What do the dancing shamans have in their hands and sticking out of their bodies?
4. What is the modern incarnation of the Shaman?
5. Which mushroom will take the projection of male or female energy with equal ease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two active chemical compounds in the Fly Agaric mushroom?
2. What two group activities acted to draw the hunter gatherer and tribal people closer together that modern civilization disdains?
3. In what ways is the shaman a remote ancestor of the poet and the artist?
4. What is shamanism?
5. What is Tasili n Ajjer famous for?
6. What factor influenced the fall of the female deity as well as the separation of humans from the environment?
7. Why does cattle being a major motif in the Soma cult make little sense if Wasson is right?
8. What has happened to communication techniques throughout evolution?
9. What does John Pfeiffer observe about Upper Paleolithic art?
10. What happened to the potential of ibogaine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss alcohol consumption. How is it one of the most prevalent substances to induce intoxication on the market? What characteristic lends it it's stability in the consumerist marketplace? What is the problem with prolonged consumption?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss shamanic ritualized use of mushrooms. Should it be classified as a religion and therefore practicable by all? Why or why not? According to McKenna, what sort of 'divine experience' is possible on indole hallucinogens? Is this the worship of a false idol? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss narcotic tourism. Do you think this is a practice that should be acceptable? Why or why not? Should people be allowed to consume a narcotic in another country, despite it being illegal in their home country? Defend your position with at least three main arguments and refute an argument against yours.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)