|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to an individual in a state of ecstasy, according to Gordon Wasson?
(a) The individual is intoxicated.
(b) All of these.
(c) The soul is denigrated.
(d) The soul is scooped from the body.
2. What did the author find appalling?
(a) That religion was a construct to eliminate the truth of shamanism.
(b) That the shamanic world was more real than our own.
(c) That the shamanic world offered truth and the real world offered lies.
(d) The shamanic world could be accessed by anyone, but no one had believed in it.
3. Where might this form of civilization began?
(d) None of these.
4. What female deities persisted in the patriarchal society?
(a) The cult of Kali.
(b) The divine Parusha.
(c) All of these.
(d) The cult of Mary.
5. What two groups of scientists have analyzed shamanism?
(a) Anthropologists and Psychologists.
(b) Psychologists and Neurologists.
(c) Neurologists and Anthropologists.
(d) Neurologists and Sociologists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eastern philosophy call the dissolution of the ego?
2. What has been agreed on regarding Soma?
3. What substances did the author use?
4. What is the connection between the loss of connection to nature and humanity?
5. What was prominent on all images depicting the father of the Goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would a culture that shifted back to being plant based be beneficial to today's culture?
2. What two group activities acted to draw the hunter gatherer and tribal people closer together that modern civilization disdains?
3. What did the Natufian culture bring to Palestine?
4. What psychological shift left European civilization at a disadvantage?
5. Why are the numbered paragraphs so important to humanity?
6. In what ways is the shaman a remote ancestor of the poet and the artist?
7. What was noted physiologically with the evolution of language?
8. What factor influenced the fall of the female deity as well as the separation of humans from the environment?
9. In what regard do most Westerners hold magic and those that claim to be practitioners of it?
10. What is the difference between a dominator society and a partnership society?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)