|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meal that Susan enjoys after the ship first arrives on the island?
(a) Biscuits, cheese and ale.
(b) Cheese and fruit.
(c) Pork, biscuits and wine.
(d) An apple, cheese and wine.
2. Who invites Susan to his cabin?
(b) The captain.
(c) Jim Preston.
(d) The first mate.
3. What does Susan do when she wakes to find Cruso's hand exploring her body after she has crawled into bed with him?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Encourages him.
(d) Jumps out of the bed.
4. What does Cruso tell Susan about the laws of the island?
(a) "The only law is to do what I say."
(b) "The only law is we will work for our bread."
(c) "There are no laws."
(d) "The laws are meant for the protection of us all."
5. What happens when a ship arrives on the island?
(a) Cruso is put in handcuffs.
(b) Friday is shot.
(c) Friday runs away.
(d) The captain recognizes Susan.
6. Why does Cruso tell Susan he has not tried to record his memories?
(a) Forgetting is the greatest blessing of the island.
(b) He cannot write.
(c) He doesn't think anyone will ever read it.
(d) He hasn't forgetten anything worth remembering.
7. How does Susan end up on the island?
(a) There is an outbreak of illness on her ship and she escapes.
(b) Her ship is attacked by pirates and she escapes.
(c) She is kidnapped by a crew member from whom she escapes.
(d) There is mutiny on her ship and she is cast away.
8. How does Cruso react to the arrival of a ship on the island?
(a) He fights the men who try to get him to board.
(b) He sits without emotion.
(c) He cries tears of joy and relief.
(d) He is scared and tries to run away.
9. Where does Susan sleep on her first night on the island?
(a) On a bed of grass.
(b) On a hammock.
(c) In Cruso's bed.
(d) On a woven mat.
10. Why do Friday's feet bleed in Part One?
(a) Cuts from the coral reef.
(b) Bites from fleas and insects.
(c) Cuts from thorns.
(d) Some strange virus.
11. How does Susan respond to Friday's actions when she first sees him paddle out onto the bay?
(a) She feels a tendernes akin to love.
(b) She is angry that he has not provided more food.
(c) She realizes he has a soul or spirit.
(d) She is excited at the possibility of escape.
12. What tool does Cruso first give to Susan?
(a) A writing utensil.
(b) A clay cooking bowl.
(c) A fish bone needle.
(d) A hammer.
13. What does Cruso say will act as a statement of his time on the island?
(a) The shelter.
(b) A simple grave with a cross of stones.
(c) The terraces.
(d) The relationships he forms while there.
14. How long is Cruso ill, in Part One?
(a) 48 hours.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 30 cycles of the sun.
(d) 1 week.
15. How does the captain react to Susan's story?
(a) He seems doubtful of much of her account.
(b) He expresses guilt over her predicament.
(c) He expresses admiration for her strength and faith.
(d) He encourages her to write her story.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan react to Cruso's explanations of the laws of the island?
2. Where do Cruso and Friday sleep, when Susan first meets them?
3. Where does Susan see Friday working when she awakens her first morning on the island?
4. How does Susan say that Cruso came to be stranded, in Part One?
5. Why was Susan traveling to Bahia?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)