|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Cruso, is true of Friday?
(a) He was the spiritual leader of his people.
(b) He is a genius.
(c) He is a former cannibal.
(d) He is a medicine man.
2. Where was Susan traveling when her boat ran into trouble?
3. What message does Susan try to convey to Friday at the end of Part One?
(a) That she is with child.
(b) That she will protect him.
(c) That Cruso is dead.
(d) That she will meet him in his cabin.
4. Who carries the person who steps on a thorn in Part One?
(a) An animal.
(b) The unnamed boy.
5. Who steps on a thorn in the first section of the story?
(a) The unnamed boy.
6. Who was in the rowboat with Susan?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Her lover.
(c) The captain.
(d) A slave.
7. Why does Cruso tell Susan he has not tried to record his memories?
(a) He cannot write.
(b) He hasn't forgetten anything worth remembering.
(c) He doesn't think anyone will ever read it.
(d) Forgetting is the greatest blessing of the island.
8. What name does Cruso give to his shelter?
(a) Camp Charlotte.
(b) The fort.
(c) Camp Cruso.
(d) The castle.
9. What do Cruso and Friday work on everyday, when Susan first arrives on the island?
(a) Making tools.
(b) Improvements to the shelter.
(c) The terraces.
(d) The crop field.
10. How does Susan describe the food on the island?
(a) Bland, plant based, and grisly.
(b) Strange and exotic.
(c) Readily available and luscious.
(d) Scarce and very monotonous.
11. Why doesn't Friday speak to Susan?
(a) Out of his respect for women.
(b) Cruso has told him not to.
(c) He is shy.
(d) He has no tongue.
12. What does Cruso grow near his shelter?
(c) Sweet peppers.
13. Why does Susan say she would consider getting pregnant by Cruso?
(a) She craves the closeness of a man.
(b) He is a handsome and strong man.
(c) To avoid being left alone on the island with Friday.
(d) It may be her only chance to have a child.
14. Why was Susan traveling to Bahia?
(a) To join her husband.
(b) To look for her daughter.
(c) To become a missionary.
(d) To teach.
15. How does the captain react to Susan's story?
(a) He expresses admiration for her strength and faith.
(b) He seems doubtful of much of her account.
(c) He expresses guilt over her predicament.
(d) He encourages her to write her story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan do on her third day on the island after she disobeys Cruso?
2. What is the name of the ship that rescues Susan and the others?
3. How does Cruso respond to leaving on the ship?
4. How does Susan disobey Cruso on her third day on the island?
5. Why does the woman in the beginning of the story say she slips over the side of the boat and swims to shore?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)