|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan say was her father's name?
2. What name does Cruso give to his shelter?
(a) The fort.
(b) The castle.
(c) Camp Cruso.
(d) Camp Charlotte.
3. Why does Cruso tell Susan he has not tried to record his memories?
(a) He doesn't think anyone will ever read it.
(b) He cannot write.
(c) Forgetting is the greatest blessing of the island.
(d) He hasn't forgetten anything worth remembering.
4. What is the meal that Susan enjoys after the ship first arrives on the island?
(a) Cheese and fruit.
(b) Biscuits, cheese and ale.
(c) Pork, biscuits and wine.
(d) An apple, cheese and wine.
5. How does the woman who swims ashore feel when she is with the person who first greets her?
(a) That she must get better to protect the person.
(b) Safe and protected.
(c) At home.
(d) Uncomfortable and unsafe.
6. Where does Susan sleep on her first night on the island?
(a) On a hammock.
(b) On a bed of grass.
(c) In Cruso's bed.
(d) On a woven mat.
7. Where do Cruso and Friday sleep, when Susan first meets them?
(a) In hammocks made of vines.
(b) Cruso on a bed and Friday on a mat.
(c) Cruso on a bottom bunk, Friday on the top.
(d) On the earth.
8. How does the captain react to Susan's story?
(a) He expresses guilt over her predicament.
(b) He seems doubtful of much of her account.
(c) He expresses admiration for her strength and faith.
(d) He encourages her to write her story.
9. Why does Susan say she would consider getting pregnant by Cruso?
(a) To avoid being left alone on the island with Friday.
(b) She craves the closeness of a man.
(c) He is a handsome and strong man.
(d) It may be her only chance to have a child.
10. Why does Susan crawl into bed with Cruso when he is ill?
(a) To escape the night chill of the island.
(b) To warm his body.
(c) To feel close to another human being.
(d) To calm his bad dreams.
11. What message does Susan try to convey to Friday at the end of Part One?
(a) That Cruso is dead.
(b) That she will protect him.
(c) That she is with child.
(d) That she will meet him in his cabin.
12. What does Cruso say will act as a statement of his time on the island?
(a) The relationships he forms while there.
(b) A simple grave with a cross of stones.
(c) The terraces.
(d) The shelter.
13. What best describes Cruso's shelter when Susan first sees it?
(a) An impressive shed made of timber, knots and vines.
(b) A shanty of sail cloth, vines and leaves.
(c) A shelter of poles and thatched reeds.
(d) A cave transformed by fire and animal pelts.
14. How does Cruso refer to the ailment he gets shortly after Susan's arrival?
(a) As woman-induced disease.
(b) As a bad heart come back to haunt him.
(c) As an old fever.
(d) As past deeds transformed to ill health.
15. Why does the woman in the beginning of the story say she slips over the side of the boat and swims to shore?
(a) To escape the other occupant of the boat.
(b) To get to a person on shore.
(c) She cannot row any further.
(d) The boat is leaking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan learn about Friday when he ignores her request to bring more wood in Part One?
2. What does Susan watch Friday do when she first sees him paddle out onto the bay?
3. How does Susan describe the rhythm of the wind and rain on the island in Part One?
4. Why was Susan traveling to Bahia?
5. What does Susan bring back to camp after disobeying Cruso on her third day on the island?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)