|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Friday speak to Susan?
(a) Out of his respect for women.
(b) He is shy.
(c) He has no tongue.
(d) Cruso has told him not to.
2. What does Susan say was her father's name?
3. How does Cruso respond to leaving on the ship?
(a) He loses hope and dies.
(b) His spirits improve with regular meals.
(c) He sleeps for three days.
(d) He cries with Friday.
4. How does Susan react to Cruso's explanations of the laws of the island?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She laughs at his laws.
(c) With growing respect.
(d) With dissatisfaction.
5. Who falls ill in Part One, after Susan has been on the island for one year?
(d) Friday and Cruso.
6. What tool does Cruso first give to Susan?
(a) A writing utensil.
(b) A clay cooking bowl.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A fish bone needle.
7. How does Susan respond to Friday's actions when she first sees him paddle out onto the bay?
(a) She feels a tendernes akin to love.
(b) She is excited at the possibility of escape.
(c) She is angry that he has not provided more food.
(d) She realizes he has a soul or spirit.
8. Who sinks into a depression after Susan's arrival on the island?
9. Why does Cruso tell Susan he has not tried to record his memories?
(a) He doesn't think anyone will ever read it.
(b) He hasn't forgetten anything worth remembering.
(c) Forgetting is the greatest blessing of the island.
(d) He cannot write.
10. What does Cruso tell Susan about punishing Friday?
(a) There is never a need for punishment.
(b) Occasional punishment keeps him in line.
(c) Only a man can punish another man.
(d) Ignoring Friday is the worst punishment.
11. What does Susan believe that being on the island is?
(a) A trial from God to test her faith.
(b) Of the three castaways, this is most difficult for Cruso.
(c) A punishment.
(d) A chance at redemption.
12. Why does the woman in the beginning of the story say she slips over the side of the boat and swims to shore?
(a) The boat is leaking.
(b) To escape the other occupant of the boat.
(c) To get to a person on shore.
(d) She cannot row any further.
13. How does Susan describe the food on the island?
(a) Readily available and luscious.
(b) Scarce and very monotonous.
(c) Bland, plant based, and grisly.
(d) Strange and exotic.
14. What does Susan bring back to camp after disobeying Cruso on her third day on the island?
(c) Root vegetables.
(d) Wood to build a raft.
15. What does Susan do on her third day on the island after she disobeys Cruso?
(a) Goes to the beach.
(c) Mends his sock.
(d) Writes memories on bark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cruso say he never tried to build a boat?
2. What does the woman ask for when she first swims ashore?
3. What does Susan learn about Friday when he ignores her request to bring more wood in Part One?
4. What does Susan watch Friday do when she first sees him paddle out onto the bay?
5. Why does Susan say that Cruso wants to remain on the island?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)