|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Elizabeth Barrett's mother die?
2. Who came and beat Flush when he attacked Mr. Browning in the hallway in Chapter Three?
(a) Miss Blagden.
(b) Miss Mitford.
(c) Mrs. Jameson.
(d) Miss Wilson.
3. What made the biggest impression on Flush when he was taken to Elizabeth Barrett's home in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
(a) The sights.
(b) The sounds.
(c) The furniture.
(d) The smells.
4. By what nickname was Elizabeth Barrett known to her family?
5. Where was Elizabeth Barrett born?
(a) County Durham, England.
(b) County Oxford, England.
(c) County Suffolk, England.
(d) County Devonshire, England.
6. Who is described as a lady with "a very light complexion -- pale, lucid, eyes; thin colorless lips . . . a nose and chin projective without breadth"?
(a) Miss Wilson.
(b) Mary Graham Clarke.
(c) Mrs. Jameson.
7. What did Miss Barrett mistakenly think of Flush as when he looked in the mirror in Chapter 2?
(a) A child.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A prince.
(d) A philosopher.
8. On what day did Flush make his second attack on Mr. Browning?
(a) January 1.
(b) July 21.
(c) April 3.
(d) December 26.
9. What, in reality, did Flush see himself as when he looked in the mirror?
(a) An aristocrat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A companion.
(d) A servant.
10. Whom did Miss Barrett ask "He is worth loving, is he not?"
(a) Mr. Landor.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mr. Kenyon.
(d) Mr. Horne.
11. As a puppy, Flush lived on a farm named ___________.
(a) Enchanted Knoll.
(b) Three Mile Cross.
(c) Rutherford Ranch.
(d) Windmere Estate.
12. As centuries passed, the Spaniel evolved into how many different branches?
13. What verb means to argue or reason with, especially in order to dissuade from an action or intention?
14. Miss Barrett's life was the life of ____________, according to the author in Chapter Three: "The Hooded Man."
(a) "A monkey in a tree."
(b) "A tiger on the savannah."
(c) "A bird in its cage."
(d) "A fish in a tank."
15. What is an alcoholic herbal preparation containing approximately 10% powdered opium by weight?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, the author writes that Mr. Browning's _________ was "perhaps the sharpest thorn that pressed into Flush's side"?
2. When Mr. Browning first came to visit, the author writes, "What was horrible to Flush, as they talked, was his______________."
3. Miss Browning wrote that Flush was of what school?
4. Of what did Flush ask, "Were these not the signals of freedom?"
5. Miss Barrett asked Flush if he believed _________ was alive in Chapter Three: "The Hooded Man."
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)