|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moriyama declare himself unsatisfied with his early work?
2. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
3. When Ono and Matsuda examine their lives, what do they see, according to Matsuda?
4. What does the neighbor boy do when Matsuda speaks to him?
5. What goal had Ono and Matsuda shared in the old days?
Essay Topic 1
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
Essay Topic 2
Naguchi is a character we never meet directly. Ono explains the musician's suicide to his grandson, Ichiro. There are some differences between this conversation and the opinions Ono expresses when Miyake tells Ono that his employer committed suicide and that Miyake finds the action admirable. Has Ono changed? If so, what has changed him?
Essay Topic 3
The Bridge of Hesitation is an important symbol in this story and Ono says that he spends a great deal of time there. What does the bridge represent? Are there various possible meanings? Consider the fact that in the midst of the destruction of much of the area, the bridge remained.
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)