|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
2. What does Matsuda's neighbor boy do each day?
3. Which of Sugimura's plans does Ono believe is "eccentric"?
4. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
5. What does Matsuda say about his own present-day perspective on life during his last conversation with Ono?
Essay Topic 1
What do you see as Ishiguro's overarching theme in this story? Why did he write it? What is he trying to teach, and to whom? Consider the fact that the book was published first in English.
Essay Topic 2
Ono expresses the belief that his confession of guilt about his war activities rescued the miai from discomfort, and made relaxed social interaction possible. Do you think other characters would have the same opinion? Would things look different from another perspective? Tell the story of the miai from Noriko's point of view.
Essay Topic 3
What do you make of the fact that Ono's paintings are not on display even in his own home, and that he will not show them even to his own grandson? What does it tell you that Ono will not draw or paint with Ichiro, although he encourages the boy to draw? What does it tell you that at the end of the story he tells Matsuda that he is painting again? Analyze what Ono's art work means to him in the context of these facts.
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)