|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
2. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
3. How often does Ono visit Matsuda after re-establishing contact with him?
4. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
5. What does Ono tell Ichiro about why men drink sake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
2. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
3. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
4. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
5. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
6. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
7. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
8. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
9. What European influences distinguished Moriyama's work from Utamaro's?
10. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twice in the story, authority figures burned Ono's paintings. Compare the two situations. Did they have the same purpose? Were they trying to help the young man or hurt him? How do you know? Use textual evidence to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Young Miyake tells Ono what he believes is "the greatest cowardice of all." Later, Ono explains what he believes to be the greatest cowardice. Analyze the similarities and differences between their points of view. Do these stated opinions influence Ono? If so, how? Is cowardice or courage a matter of importance to him?
Essay Topic 3
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)