|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
2. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
3. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
4. What remains of Sugimura's planned Kawabe Park?
5. Who does Matsuda claim has been blamed for Japan's downfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
2. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
3. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
4. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
5. Why didn't Moriyama applaud his student's maturing talent as an artist?
6. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
7. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
8. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
9. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
10. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several places in this story where a character's speech does not reflect their actual opinions. Setsuko's conversations with her father are examples. Select and analyze a scene where you are able to establish that what is being said is not genuine. How do you know? How is the writer able to convey that double message to you as a reader?
Essay Topic 2
Twice in the story, authority figures burned Ono's paintings. Compare the two situations. Did they have the same purpose? Were they trying to help the young man or hurt him? How do you know? Use textual evidence to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What difference do you see in the way Ono interacts with his daughters and his grandson and the way Noriko describes his earlier behavior as a father? Do you trust her description? Do you think he has changed? Analyze Ono's development as a father based on his daughters' responses to him.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)