|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Sugimura's plans does Ono believe is "eccentric"?
2. Why doesn't Ono go to Moriyama's villa?
3. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
4. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
5. How do the art students treat Sasaki when he changes his style?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
2. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
3. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
4. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
5. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
6. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
7. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
8. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
9. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
10. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you make of the fact that Ono's paintings are not on display even in his own home, and that he will not show them even to his own grandson? What does it tell you that Ono will not draw or paint with Ichiro, although he encourages the boy to draw? What does it tell you that at the end of the story he tells Matsuda that he is painting again? Analyze what Ono's art work means to him in the context of these facts.
Essay Topic 2
We learn about Suichi's character through what he instructs Setsuko, what he wants for Ichiro, and the way he behaves when Kenji's ashes are brought home. Describe this young man based on textual evidence. Ono expresses the belief that Suichi has been "embittered." What embittered him?
Essay Topic 3
The constancy of change is a theme in this novel. Select a secondary character such as Shintaro, Matsuda, or Kuroda and analyze the changes they undergo as the story progresses.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)