|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matsuda think the two men should not blame themselves for their earlier actions?
2. What had Ono completed the same week he received the award?
3. How do the art students treat Sasaki when he changes his style?
4. What happened to Moriyama after Ono left his school?
5. Why does Matsuda envy Ono?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
2. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
3. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
4. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
5. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
6. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
7. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
8. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
9. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
10. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishiguro devotes a great deal of description to the physical venues of Ono's city. Take the point of view of a reporter who is visiting the city to report on its postwar condition in 1948. As a reporter, what would you say about the parks? The homes? The pleasure district? If you returned in 1950, what would you report? Have there been significant changes? In your second paragraph, take the point of view of the same reporter returning after two years to observe the physical differences. What is still there? What is gone? What is there that wasn't before?
Essay Topic 2
What difference do you see in the way Ono interacts with his daughters and his grandson and the way Noriko describes his earlier behavior as a father? Do you trust her description? Do you think he has changed? Analyze Ono's development as a father based on his daughters' responses to him.
Essay Topic 3
First, Shintaro calls Ono a traitor. Second, we learn about the artwork that has made him call his friend a traitor. Third, we learn of Matsuda's persuasive conversation that induced Ono to change his painting style, and fourth, we learn that the work resulted in his expulsion from Moriyama's tutelage. Analyze the way the clarity of the story is affected by this type of organization. Why do you think Ishiguro chose not to tell is story in simple chronological order? What effect does dealing with time in this way have on you as a reader?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)