|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
2. Which of the sisters is older?
3. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
4. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
5. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
2. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
3. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
4. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
5. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
6. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
7. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
8. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
9. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
10. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naguchi is a character we never meet directly. Ono explains the musician's suicide to his grandson, Ichiro. There are some differences between this conversation and the opinions Ono expresses when Miyake tells Ono that his employer committed suicide and that Miyake finds the action admirable. Has Ono changed? If so, what has changed him?
Essay Topic 2
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of Noriko and Setsuko based on their conversation and behavior. Remember that Ono comments on the character of the two girls. Do your observations agree with his?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)