|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
2. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
3. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
4. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
5. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
2. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
3. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
4. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
5. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
6. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
7. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
8. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
9. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
10. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference do you see in the way Ono interacts with his daughters and his grandson and the way Noriko describes his earlier behavior as a father? Do you trust her description? Do you think he has changed? Analyze Ono's development as a father based on his daughters' responses to him.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities of Noriko and Setsuko based on their conversation and behavior. Remember that Ono comments on the character of the two girls. Do your observations agree with his?
Essay Topic 3
What do you see as Ishiguro's overarching theme in this story? Why did he write it? What is he trying to teach, and to whom? Consider the fact that the book was published first in English.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)