|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
2. What is a miai?
3. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
4. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
5. What has changed in the city between 1948 and 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
2. How does Taro behave during the miai?
3. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
4. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
5. Why is it unlikely that the Miyakes withdrew from marriage negotiations because they felt inferior?
6. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
7. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
8. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
9. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
10. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
Essay Topic 2
Young Miyake tells Ono what he believes is "the greatest cowardice of all." Later, Ono explains what he believes to be the greatest cowardice. Analyze the similarities and differences between their points of view. Do these stated opinions influence Ono? If so, how? Is cowardice or courage a matter of importance to him?
Essay Topic 3
What difference do you see in the way Ono interacts with his daughters and his grandson and the way Noriko describes his earlier behavior as a father? Do you trust her description? Do you think he has changed? Analyze Ono's development as a father based on his daughters' responses to him.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)