|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
2. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
3. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
4. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
5. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
2. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
3. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
4. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
5. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
6. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
7. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
8. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
9. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
10. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
First, Shintaro calls Ono a traitor. Second, we learn about the artwork that has made him call his friend a traitor. Third, we learn of Matsuda's persuasive conversation that induced Ono to change his painting style, and fourth, we learn that the work resulted in his expulsion from Moriyama's tutelage. Analyze the way the clarity of the story is affected by this type of organization. Why do you think Ishiguro chose not to tell is story in simple chronological order? What effect does dealing with time in this way have on you as a reader?
Essay Topic 2
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
Essay Topic 3
Ono expresses the belief that his confession of guilt about his war activities rescued the miai from discomfort, and made relaxed social interaction possible. Do you think other characters would have the same opinion? Would things look different from another perspective? Tell the story of the miai from Noriko's point of view.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)