|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
2. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
3. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
4. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
5. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taro behave during the miai?
2. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
3. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
4. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
5. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
6. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
7. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
8. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
9. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
10. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities of Noriko and Setsuko based on their conversation and behavior. Remember that Ono comments on the character of the two girls. Do your observations agree with his?
Essay Topic 2
The constancy of change is a theme in this novel. Select a secondary character such as Shintaro, Matsuda, or Kuroda and analyze the changes they undergo as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 3
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)