|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
2. What does Ono like best about the house?
3. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
4. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
5. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
2. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
3. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
4. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
5. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
6. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
7. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
8. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
9. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
10. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
First, Shintaro calls Ono a traitor. Second, we learn about the artwork that has made him call his friend a traitor. Third, we learn of Matsuda's persuasive conversation that induced Ono to change his painting style, and fourth, we learn that the work resulted in his expulsion from Moriyama's tutelage. Analyze the way the clarity of the story is affected by this type of organization. Why do you think Ishiguro chose not to tell is story in simple chronological order? What effect does dealing with time in this way have on you as a reader?
Essay Topic 2
There are several places in this story where a character's speech does not reflect their actual opinions. Setsuko's conversations with her father are examples. Select and analyze a scene where you are able to establish that what is being said is not genuine. How do you know? How is the writer able to convey that double message to you as a reader?
Essay Topic 3
What difference do you see in the way Ono interacts with his daughters and his grandson and the way Noriko describes his earlier behavior as a father? Do you trust her description? Do you think he has changed? Analyze Ono's development as a father based on his daughters' responses to him.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)