Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Shintaro applying for?
2. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
3. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
4. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
5. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
2. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
3. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
4. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
5. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
6. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
7. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
8. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
9. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
10. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
Essay Topic 1
Ishiguro devotes a great deal of description to the physical venues of Ono's city. Take the point of view of a reporter who is visiting the city to report on its postwar condition in 1948. As a reporter, what would you say about the parks? The homes? The pleasure district? If you returned in 1950, what would you report? Have there been significant changes? In your second paragraph, take the point of view of the same reporter returning after two years to observe the physical differences. What is still there? What is gone? What is there that wasn't before?
Essay Topic 2
We learn about Suichi's character through what he instructs Setsuko, what he wants for Ichiro, and the way he behaves when Kenji's ashes are brought home. Describe this young man based on textual evidence. Ono expresses the belief that Suichi has been "embittered." What embittered him?
Essay Topic 3
The constancy of change is a theme in this novel. Select a secondary character such as Shintaro, Matsuda, or Kuroda and analyze the changes they undergo as the story progresses.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)