|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
2. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
3. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
4. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
5. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
2. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
3. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
4. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
5. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
6. How does Taro behave during the miai?
7. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
8. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
9. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
10. Why is it unlikely that the Miyakes withdrew from marriage negotiations because they felt inferior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
First, Shintaro calls Ono a traitor. Second, we learn about the artwork that has made him call his friend a traitor. Third, we learn of Matsuda's persuasive conversation that induced Ono to change his painting style, and fourth, we learn that the work resulted in his expulsion from Moriyama's tutelage. Analyze the way the clarity of the story is affected by this type of organization. Why do you think Ishiguro chose not to tell is story in simple chronological order? What effect does dealing with time in this way have on you as a reader?
Essay Topic 2
The constancy of change is a theme in this novel. Select a secondary character such as Shintaro, Matsuda, or Kuroda and analyze the changes they undergo as the story progresses.
Essay Topic 3
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)