|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
2. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
3. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
4. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
5. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
2. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
3. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
4. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
5. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
6. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
7. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
8. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
9. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
10. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twice in the story, authority figures burned Ono's paintings. Compare the two situations. Did they have the same purpose? Were they trying to help the young man or hurt him? How do you know? Use textual evidence to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Naguchi is a character we never meet directly. Ono explains the musician's suicide to his grandson, Ichiro. There are some differences between this conversation and the opinions Ono expresses when Miyake tells Ono that his employer committed suicide and that Miyake finds the action admirable. Has Ono changed? If so, what has changed him?
Essay Topic 3
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)