Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Shintaro applying for?
2. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
3. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
4. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
5. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
2. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
3. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
4. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
5. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
6. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
7. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
8. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
9. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
10. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities of Noriko and Setsuko based on their conversation and behavior. Remember that Ono comments on the character of the two girls. Do your observations agree with his?
Essay Topic 2
What do you see as Ishiguro's overarching theme in this story? Why did he write it? What is he trying to teach, and to whom? Consider the fact that the book was published first in English.
Essay Topic 3
We meet Taro Saito only briefly in this story, and yet Ishiguro establishes a clear personality for him through his actions and conversation. What do you know about Taro? How do you learn it? Analyze this character based on the information you have.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)