|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
2. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
3. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
4. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
5. How does Ono view Shintaro's childlike attitude about the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
2. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
3. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
4. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
5. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
6. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
7. How does Taro behave during the miai?
8. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
9. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
10. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
Essay Topic 1
Ono recalls a rumor that Sugimura built a long corridor in his house to distance himself from his parents. Analyze Ono's relationship with his own father and with his two mentors, Takeda and Moriyama. Consider also that his daughters have moved at a distance from him, visiting only once a year. What do you think Ishiguro is telling his readers about parent-child relationships? Do you agree with his ideas?
Essay Topic 2
There are several places in this story where a character's speech does not reflect their actual opinions. Setsuko's conversations with her father are examples. Select and analyze a scene where you are able to establish that what is being said is not genuine. How do you know? How is the writer able to convey that double message to you as a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of Noriko and Setsuko based on their conversation and behavior. Remember that Ono comments on the character of the two girls. Do your observations agree with his?
This section contains 1,895 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)