|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What implication does Setsuko make in Noriko's kitchen that offends Ono?
(a) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too strict.
(b) That Ono's ideas had caused Kenji's death.
(c) That Ono had ignored his wife's advice about child-rearing.
(d) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too lax.
2. How does Setsuko think Saito felt about Ono?
(a) Setsuko thinks Saito was an admirer of Ono's work.
(b) Setsuko thinks Saito was rude to Ono.
(c) Setsuko thinks Saito had no idea who Ono was until the marriage negotiations.
(d) Setsuko thinks Saito disapproved of Ono.
3. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
(a) He had too many girlfriends.
(b) He was too busy improving the world.
(c) He never found the right woman.
(d) He was too busy traveling the world.
4. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They wrote slurs about one another.
(b) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
(c) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
(d) They destroyed each other's paintings.
5. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
(a) Ono said the death was tragic and sad.
(b) Ono said Naguchi was very brave and honorable.
(c) Ono said the death was cowardly.
(d) Ono said the death was foolish and wasteful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Ono go to Moriyama's villa?
2. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
3. Why does Ono come to admire Moriyama's treatment of his students?
4. Why is Ono surprised at Setsuko's view of Noriko's marriage negotiation?
5. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
2. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
3. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
4. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
5. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
6. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
7. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
8. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
9. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
10. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)