|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
(a) Painting houses.
(b) Painting magazine illustrations.
(c) Painting advertisements.
(d) Painting patriotic posters.
2. When did Saito first meet Ono?
(a) Sixteen years ago.
(b) Two years ago.
(c) The week before the miai.
(d) At the miai.
3. Why does Ono quit painting for such a long time?
(a) He felt he was untalented.
(b) He had been forbidden to paint.
(c) He was disillusioned.
(d) He had lost his touch.
4. What is found where Mrs. Kawakami's and the Migi-Hidari once stood?
(a) A restaurant and an office building.
(b) A theater and a restaurant.
(c) A bank and a theater.
(d) An office building and a parking lot.
5. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
(a) She's expecting a child.
(b) The marriage was annulled.
(c) She's getting a divorce.
(d) The marriage has been unhappy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
2. What implication does Setsuko make in Noriko's kitchen that offends Ono?
3. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
4. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
5. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
2. What European influences distinguished Moriyama's work from Utamaro's?
3. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
4. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
5. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
6. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
7. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
8. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
9. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
10. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)