|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono hope his own students will do?
(a) Remain grateful to Ono for what they learned.
(b) Forget Ono's part in the war.
(c) Conceal their relationship to Ono.
(d) Forget they ever knew Ono.
2. How do the art students treat Sasaki when he changes his style?
(a) They gave him a goodbye party and sent him away.
(b) They burned his work in the courtyard.
(c) They criticized him in public.
(d) They hid his paintings and refused to speak to him.
3. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
(a) Because his aunt Noriko says spinach will make him strong.
(b) Because Popeye says spinach makes him strong.
(c) Because his father says spinach will make him strong.
(d) Because his mother says spinach will make him strong.
4. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
(a) She's afraid he'll fall into the pond.
(b) She doesn't want to attract the neighbor boy.
(c) She can do it more easily.
(d) He fell on the stones a few months ago.
5. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It is spacious.
(b) It is Western and modern.
(c) It is very traditional.
(d) It has a spectacular view of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
2. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
3. Why does Ono admire Sugimura?
4. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
5. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
2. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
3. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
4. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
5. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
6. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
7. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
8. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
9. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
10. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning most likely means now that the war is long over?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)