|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brought about the chances in Moriyama's standing?
(a) His European style was seen as unpatriotic.
(b) He had changed his European style.
(c) His European style was increasingly admired.
(d) He had returned to traditional Japanese art.
2. When did Saito first meet Ono?
(a) At the miai.
(b) Two years ago.
(c) Sixteen years ago.
(d) The week before the miai.
3. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
(c) The sea.
4. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They wrote slurs about one another.
(b) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
(c) They destroyed each other's paintings.
(d) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
5. What does Ono want to say to Moriyama if they meet again?
(a) Moriyama's assessment of his work had been correct.
(b) Ono had not had to illustrate comic books after all.
(c) Moriyama's teaching had helped him immeasureably.
(d) Ono was grateful for Moriyama's help.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moriyama respond to his students' comments about his painting?
2. What did Ono feel was missing the night he won the award?
3. Which of Sugimura's plans does Ono believe is "eccentric"?
4. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
5. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Moriyama applaud his student's maturing talent as an artist?
2. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
3. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
4. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
5. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
6. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
7. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
8. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
9. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
10. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)