|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
(a) His father might get drunk.
(b) His grandfather Ono might get drunk.
(c) Ichiro might get drunk.
(d) His aunt Noriko might get drunk.
2. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
(a) It is broader and includes the whole country.
(b) It is all-encompassing and not bound by political borders.
(c) It is skewed by the damage done by the war.
(d) It is still narrow and doesn't extend much beyond the city.
3. What does Ono say in Noriko's kitchen that upsets Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) That Ichiro should never drink sake.
(b) That Ichiro should wait a few years for sake.
(c) That Ichiro should be taught better manners.
(d) That Ichiro should have a taste of sake with dinner.
4. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) He had no understanding of politics.
(b) He had no interest in politics.
(c) His worldview was too broad.
(d) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
5. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
(a) Matsuda loaned Ono money.
(b) Flowers sent during Ono's illness.
(c) A letter of encouragement during Ono's illness.
(d) Matsuda recommended Ono to an art dealer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "floating world"?
2. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
3. How many students has Moriyama had at his villa?
4. What famous Japanese artist does Moriyama emulate?
5. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
2. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
3. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
4. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
5. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
6. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
7. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
8. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
9. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
10. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)