|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
(a) Confronting Moriyama at his villa.
(b) Sitting on a hill all alone, eating oranges.
(c) When his family gave him a surprise party.
(d) Receiving the praise of his students.
2. What remains of Sugimura's planned Kawabe Park?
(a) Only the museum.
(b) Only the concert hall.
(c) Only the grass where the museums and theaters would have stood.
(d) Only the kabuki theater.
3. Who does Matsuda claim has been blamed for Japan's downfall?
(a) The emperor and his household.
(b) The voting public.
(c) Military men, politicians, and businessmen.
(d) Artists and musicians.
4. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
(a) It is all-encompassing and not bound by political borders.
(b) It is skewed by the damage done by the war.
(c) It is still narrow and doesn't extend much beyond the city.
(d) It is broader and includes the whole country.
5. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he is not like Naguchi.
(b) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(c) That he is like Naguchi.
(d) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Ono go to Moriyama's villa?
2. How many students has Moriyama had at his villa?
3. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
4. Why does the Tortoise often destroy his own paintings?
5. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
2. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
3. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning most likely means now that the war is long over?
4. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
5. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
6. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
7. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
8. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
9. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
10. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)