|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Matsuda describe the contribution he and Ono made?
(a) It was important.
(b) It was marginal.
(c) It was negligible.
(d) It was critical.
2. What does Ono tell Ichiro about why men drink sake?
(a) It separates strong men from weak women.
(b) It makes a man stronger.
(c) For a little while, they can believe they're stronger.
(d) It helps men see the beauty of the floating world.
3. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It is Western and modern.
(b) It has a spectacular view of the city.
(c) It is very traditional.
(d) It is spacious.
4. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
(a) They told him they thought his painting was marvelous.
(b) They asked him questions as he worked.
(c) They spoke as though he were not present.
(d) They wrote critiques of each painting.
5. Who dies in June, 1950?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
2. What is the mood of Moriyama's paintings?
3. What does Matsuda say the world sees when they look at Ono and Matsuda now that the war is behind them?
4. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
5. Why does Ono come to admire Moriyama's treatment of his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
2. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
3. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
4. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
5. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
6. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
7. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
8. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
9. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
10. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)