|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
(a) The Nobel Prize.
(b) The Shigeta Foundation Award.
(c) A statue in his honor in the city park.
(d) A commission from the emperor.
2. When Ono and Matsuda examine their lives, what do they see, according to Matsuda?
(a) They were flawless.
(b) They were fascinating.
(c) They were flawed.
(d) They were valiant.
3. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
(a) His former teacher, Moriyama.
(b) His old friend Matsuda.
(c) His admiration of Sugimura.
(d) His friend, Shintaro.
4. What happened to Moriyama after Ono left his school?
(a) His reputation had spread.
(b) His work had been admired in Europe.
(c) His work was displayed at the palace.
(d) His reputation had declined.
5. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
(a) They told him they thought his painting was marvelous.
(b) They spoke as though he were not present.
(c) They asked him questions as he worked.
(d) They wrote critiques of each painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
2. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
3. What qualities does Ono claim he shared with Matsuda when they were younger?
4. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
5. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
2. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
3. What European influences distinguished Moriyama's work from Utamaro's?
4. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
5. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
6. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
7. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
8. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
9. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
10. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)