|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
(a) They spoke as though he were not present.
(b) They told him they thought his painting was marvelous.
(c) They wrote critiques of each painting.
(d) They asked him questions as he worked.
2. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
(a) She's expecting a child.
(b) The marriage was annulled.
(c) She's getting a divorce.
(d) The marriage has been unhappy.
3. Why does Moriyama declare himself unsatisfied with his early work?
(a) He had felt guilty about the pleasures of the floating world.
(b) He had been unable to capture the essence of the floating world.
(c) He had been caught in the pleasures of the floating world.
(d) He had been unskilled about the floating world.
4. Why does Ono introduce Kenji into the conversation in Noriko's kitchen?
(a) His son, had he been present, would have taken his side.
(b) He suddenly recalls his son's death.
(c) He had argued with his wife about giving Kenji sake at the same age.
(d) He feels outnumbered by women.
5. Why had Moriyama been happy with his work looking back on it as an old man?
(a) He had devoted his life to changing with modernizing trends.
(b) He had devoted his life to repudiating debauchery.
(c) He had devoted his life to capturing a unique beauty.
(d) He had devoted his life to nurturing young talent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
2. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
3. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
4. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
5. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)