|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the neighbor boy do when Matsuda speaks to him?
(a) He comes into the yard.
(b) He chats with Matsuda.
(c) He comes into the house.
(d) He runs away.
2. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
(a) To spread their art throughout Japan.
(b) To change painting in their city to conform to his idea of style.
(c) To spread their art throughout the world.
(d) To change modern art in Europe.
3. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(b) His worldview was too broad.
(c) He had no understanding of politics.
(d) He had no interest in politics.
4. What is the mood of Moriyama's paintings?
(a) Melancholy and nocturnal.
(b) Black and depressed.
(c) Cheerful and multicolored.
(d) Bright and sunny.
5. How does Matsuda describe the contribution he and Ono made?
(a) It was marginal.
(b) It was negligible.
(c) It was critical.
(d) It was important.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
2. When Ono and Matsuda examine their lives, what do they see, according to Matsuda?
3. What is the "floating world"?
4. How does Ono feel about the future of Japan?
5. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
2. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
3. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
4. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
5. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
6. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
7. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
8. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
9. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
10. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)