|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono come to admire Moriyama's treatment of his students?
(a) Ono believes students often know more than their teachers.
(b) Ono believes it is important for students to develop their own thinking.
(c) Ono believes students' comments are mere flattery.
(d) Ono believes it is foolish to waste time discussing each comment.
2. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) A day.
(d) A year.
3. Why does Matsuda think the two men should not blame themselves for their earlier actions?
(a) They acted on their beliefs and did their utmost.
(b) They were fooled by charlatans.
(c) They were too young to understand forces around them.
(d) Their actions had produced good results.
4. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
(b) They wrote slurs about one another.
(c) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
(d) They destroyed each other's paintings.
5. When did Saito first meet Ono?
(a) At the miai.
(b) The week before the miai.
(c) Two years ago.
(d) Sixteen years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
2. What shows European influences on Moriyama?
3. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
4. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Setsuko?
5. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
2. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
3. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
4. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
5. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
6. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
7. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
8. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
9. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
10. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)