|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Matsuda claim has been blamed for Japan's downfall?
(a) The voting public.
(b) Artists and musicians.
(c) The emperor and his household.
(d) Military men, politicians, and businessmen.
2. Why does Ono introduce Kenji into the conversation in Noriko's kitchen?
(a) He had argued with his wife about giving Kenji sake at the same age.
(b) His son, had he been present, would have taken his side.
(c) He feels outnumbered by women.
(d) He suddenly recalls his son's death.
3. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
(a) Ono said the death was cowardly.
(b) Ono said the death was foolish and wasteful.
(c) Ono said the death was tragic and sad.
(d) Ono said Naguchi was very brave and honorable.
4. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
(a) She can do it more easily.
(b) She doesn't want to attract the neighbor boy.
(c) He fell on the stones a few months ago.
(d) She's afraid he'll fall into the pond.
5. What does Setsuko say in Kawabe Park that irritates Ono?
(a) That he had embarrassed the family during the miai.
(b) That everyone was surprised at his self-incrimination during the miai.
(c) That it would be appropriate for him to consider suicide.
(d) That she is ashamed of his behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
2. Why does Ono quit painting for such a long time?
3. Why does Matsuda envy Ono?
4. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
5. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What European influences distinguished Moriyama's work from Utamaro's?
2. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
3. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
4. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
5. After re-establishing contact with Matsuda during Noriko's marriage negotiations, what contact have Ono and Matsuda had before Matsuda dies?
6. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
7. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
8. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
9. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
10. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)