|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It is Western and modern.
(b) It is very traditional.
(c) It has a spectacular view of the city.
(d) It is spacious.
2. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
(a) With evident disdain.
(b) With obvious curiosity.
(c) With complete disinterest.
(d) With great respect.
3. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
(a) Painting patriotic posters.
(b) Painting advertisements.
(c) Painting magazine illustrations.
(d) Painting houses.
4. Why does Ono introduce Kenji into the conversation in Noriko's kitchen?
(a) He feels outnumbered by women.
(b) He had argued with his wife about giving Kenji sake at the same age.
(c) His son, had he been present, would have taken his side.
(d) He suddenly recalls his son's death.
5. What shows European influences on Moriyama?
(a) He used bold, bright colors.
(b) He outlined his figures in black.
(c) He abandoned the use of dark outlines.
(d) He used oils instead of watercolors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono believe should give Matsuda and him satisfaction as they review their lives?
2. What is the mood of Moriyama's paintings?
3. Why does Matsuda envy Ono?
4. What does the visiting Gisaburo say about nights in the floating world?
5. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
2. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
3. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
4. Why didn't Moriyama applaud his student's maturing talent as an artist?
5. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
6. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
7. After re-establishing contact with Matsuda during Noriko's marriage negotiations, what contact have Ono and Matsuda had before Matsuda dies?
8. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
9. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
10. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)