|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Moriyama respond to his students' comments about his painting?
(a) He corrected their errors.
(b) He explained his intentions.
(c) He expanded their points of view.
(d) He listened, but did not respond.
2. Which of Sugimura's plans does Ono believe is "eccentric"?
(a) A new kabuki theater.
(b) A cemetery for cats and dogs.
(c) A museum of natural science.
(d) A European style concert hall.
3. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he is like Naguchi.
(b) That he is not like Naguchi.
(c) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(d) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
4. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) His worldview was too broad.
(b) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(c) He had no understanding of politics.
(d) He had no interest in politics.
5. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
(a) With evident disdain.
(b) With obvious curiosity.
(c) With complete disinterest.
(d) With great respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ono feel was missing the night he won the award?
2. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
3. Why does Moriyama declare himself unsatisfied with his early work?
4. What is the "floating world"?
5. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
2. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
3. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
4. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
5. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
6. What European influences distinguished Moriyama's work from Utamaro's?
7. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
8. After re-establishing contact with Matsuda during Noriko's marriage negotiations, what contact have Ono and Matsuda had before Matsuda dies?
9. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
10. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)