|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Moriyama been happy with his work looking back on it as an old man?
(a) He had devoted his life to changing with modernizing trends.
(b) He had devoted his life to nurturing young talent.
(c) He had devoted his life to capturing a unique beauty.
(d) He had devoted his life to repudiating debauchery.
2. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Setsuko?
(a) She and her husband are on vacation.
(b) She is studying art.
(c) She is attending cooking school.
(d) She is expecting a second child.
3. How does Setsuko think Saito felt about Ono?
(a) Setsuko thinks Saito was an admirer of Ono's work.
(b) Setsuko thinks Saito disapproved of Ono.
(c) Setsuko thinks Saito had no idea who Ono was until the marriage negotiations.
(d) Setsuko thinks Saito was rude to Ono.
4. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
(a) She's getting a divorce.
(b) The marriage has been unhappy.
(c) She's expecting a child.
(d) The marriage was annulled.
5. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
(a) Because Popeye says spinach makes him strong.
(b) Because his mother says spinach will make him strong.
(c) Because his aunt Noriko says spinach will make him strong.
(d) Because his father says spinach will make him strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
2. Why does Ono quit painting for such a long time?
3. What is the "floating world"?
4. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
5. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
2. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
3. After re-establishing contact with Matsuda during Noriko's marriage negotiations, what contact have Ono and Matsuda had before Matsuda dies?
4. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
5. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
6. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
7. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
8. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
9. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
10. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)