|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
(a) The marriage has been unhappy.
(b) She's expecting a child.
(c) She's getting a divorce.
(d) The marriage was annulled.
2. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(b) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
(c) That he is not like Naguchi.
(d) That he is like Naguchi.
3. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
(a) He had too many girlfriends.
(b) He never found the right woman.
(c) He was too busy improving the world.
(d) He was too busy traveling the world.
4. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) His songs had been misunderstood.
(b) He had a terminal illness.
(c) No one had appreciated his music.
(d) His songs had been used to promote war.
5. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Setsuko?
(a) She is studying art.
(b) She and her husband are on vacation.
(c) She is expecting a second child.
(d) She is attending cooking school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
2. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
3. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
4. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
5. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
2. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
3. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
4. After re-establishing contact with Matsuda during Noriko's marriage negotiations, what contact have Ono and Matsuda had before Matsuda dies?
5. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
6. Why did Moriyama's students never comment directly to him about his paintings?
7. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
8. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
9. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning most likely means now that the war is long over?
10. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)