|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono feel about the future of Japan?
(a) The best times are behind them.
(b) There is a chance to make a better go of things.
(c) The destruction will never be forgotten.
(d) Their world is permanently ruined.
2. What does Ono say in Noriko's kitchen that upsets Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) That Ichiro should have a taste of sake with dinner.
(b) That Ichiro should wait a few years for sake.
(c) That Ichiro should never drink sake.
(d) That Ichiro should be taught better manners.
3. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
(a) Because his father says spinach will make him strong.
(b) Because Popeye says spinach makes him strong.
(c) Because his mother says spinach will make him strong.
(d) Because his aunt Noriko says spinach will make him strong.
4. What is the last year covered in this story?
5. What does Ono hope his own students will do?
(a) Conceal their relationship to Ono.
(b) Forget Ono's part in the war.
(c) Remain grateful to Ono for what they learned.
(d) Forget they ever knew Ono.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
2. What goal had Ono and Matsuda shared in the old days?
3. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
4. How does Moriyama respond to his students' comments about his painting?
5. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ono answer Ichiro's question about why men drink sake?
2. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
3. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
4. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
5. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
6. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
7. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
8. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
9. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
10. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)