|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
(a) His aunt Noriko might get drunk.
(b) His grandfather Ono might get drunk.
(c) His father might get drunk.
(d) Ichiro might get drunk.
2. Why does Ono admire Sugimura?
(a) He aspired to make a fortune.
(b) He aspired to rise above mediocrity.
(c) He was a skilled landscape designer.
(d) He aspired to fame.
3. What does Ono hope his own students will do?
(a) Conceal their relationship to Ono.
(b) Forget Ono's part in the war.
(c) Remain grateful to Ono for what they learned.
(d) Forget they ever knew Ono.
4. What is found where Mrs. Kawakami's and the Migi-Hidari once stood?
(a) A bank and a theater.
(b) An office building and a parking lot.
(c) A restaurant and an office building.
(d) A theater and a restaurant.
5. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
(a) His old friend Matsuda.
(b) His former teacher, Moriyama.
(c) His friend, Shintaro.
(d) His admiration of Sugimura.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
2. Who does Matsuda claim has been blamed for Japan's downfall?
3. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
4. What had Ono completed the same week he received the award?
5. What is the last year covered in this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ono recalls the influence of Moriyama on his own behavior. What does he say he adopted from his teacher?
2. How has Ichiro changed in the year since Ono last saw him?
3. What stylistic devices does Moriyama copy from the classic artist, Utamaro?
4. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
5. Years ago, Matsuda had accused Ono of having a narrow artist's perspective. What does Ono say about his perspective now that he is retired?
6. What happened to Moriyama's best student, Sasaki?
7. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
8. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
9. Why does Ono approve of his teacher's distancing himself from his students' discussions?
10. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)