|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
(a) Why hasn't the house been repaired?
(b) Why does Setsuko visit her family so often?
(c) Why did Noriko's marriage negotiations fail?
(d) Why is Ichiro so ill-mannered?
2. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
(b) They are a sign of progress.
(c) They are beautiful.
(d) They are ugly and too modern.
3. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(b) It reflects many cultures.
(c) It is skillfully designed.
(d) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
4. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
(b) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
(c) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
(d) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
5. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would build a room for her.
(b) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(c) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(d) That she could live with their family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
2. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
3. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
4. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
5. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
2. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
3. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
4. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
5. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
6. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
7. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
8. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
9. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
10. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)