|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(b) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(c) She thought it would cost them money.
(d) She thought her secret would be discovered.
2. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
(a) His parents hired a tutor for him.
(b) His parents bought him an audiotape.
(c) His parents were studying English.
(d) His parents took him to a cowboy movie.
3. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By changing his painting style.
(b) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(c) By joking too loudly.
(d) By drinking too much.
4. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It would be better if it returned.
(b) Ono will pray for its return.
(c) It is just as well that it will not return.
(d) It may yet return.
5. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(b) More modern bars.
(c) Office buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
2. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
3. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
4. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
5. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
2. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
3. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
4. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
5. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
6. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
7. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
8. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
9. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
10. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)