|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(b) She thought it would cost them money.
(c) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(d) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
2. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(d) They've gone too far.
3. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) He was a tyrant.
(c) He doted on them.
(d) He spoiled them.
4. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Traditional and historic.
(b) Homelike and appealing.
(c) Shabby and out of place.
(d) Quaint and charming.
5. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) He had a bad leg.
(b) He was his family's only support.
(c) He was mentally defective.
(d) His service as an artist was more important.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
2. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
3. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
4. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
5. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
2. What do we learn about Setsuko from Ono's conversation with Matsuda?
3. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
4. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
5. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
6. What effect did Moriyama try to create in his paintings?
7. Why didn't Moriyama applaud his student's maturing talent as an artist?
8. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
9. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
10. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)