|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
(a) He praises Kuroda's work.
(b) He assures them that Kuroda would speak well of him.
(c) He says that Kuroda would not have a high opinion of him.
(d) He denies ever knowing Kuroda.
2. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(a) More modern bars.
(d) Office buildings.
3. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(b) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(c) Failing to learn from them.
(d) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
4. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two days.
5. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
(a) Ignoring the war effort.
(b) Trying to stop the war effort.
(c) Encouraging the war effort.
(d) Refusing to participate in the war effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the sisters is older?
2. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
3. How does Taro Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
4. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
5. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
2. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
3. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
4. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
5. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
6. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
7. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
8. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
9. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
10. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)