|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
(a) Those made in good faith.
(b) Those made in ignorance.
(c) Those made against one's will.
(d) Those made in youth.
2. What position is Shintaro applying for?
(a) Comic book illustrator.
(b) High school teacher.
(d) Graphic artist.
3. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He says it's women's work.
(b) He wants to stay with his mother.
(c) He's playing a game.
(d) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
4. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
(a) Because Japan lost the war.
(b) Because he lost interest in art.
(c) Because he has lost his skill.
(d) Because he is too old.
5. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It would be better if it returned.
(b) It may yet return.
(c) Ono will pray for its return.
(d) It is just as well that it will not return.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
2. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
3. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
4. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
5. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
2. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
3. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
4. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
5. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
6. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
7. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
8. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
9. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
10. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)