|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's learning to cook.
(b) He's learning to speak English.
(c) He's modernized his painting style.
(d) He's improved the house alone.
2. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
(a) They selected the first to make an offer.
(b) They had an auction of prestige.
(c) They sold to the highest bidder.
(d) They selected a relative.
3. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She becomes talkative and lively.
(b) She abruptly leaves the table.
(c) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(d) She begins to relax.
4. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
(a) Because he is too old.
(b) Because he has lost his skill.
(c) Because Japan lost the war.
(d) Because he lost interest in art.
5. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
(a) They didn't want their son to marry such a headstrong girl.
(b) They didn't want to be associated with Ono.
(c) They were too poor to support the wedding.
(d) They were uncomfortable about their son marrying above his station.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
2. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
3. Why did Ono as a young boy dread his father's business meetings?
4. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
5. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
2. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
3. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
4. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
5. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
6. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
7. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
8. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
9. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
10. How does Taro behave during the miai?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)