|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
(a) The reception room.
(b) The veranda.
(c) The well-lighted kitchen.
(d) The long garden corridor.
2. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By joking too loudly.
(b) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(c) By changing his painting style.
(d) By drinking too much.
3. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He says it's women's work.
(b) He wants to stay with his mother.
(c) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(d) He's playing a game.
4. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Boastful and rude.
(b) Lively and intelligent.
(c) Noisy and disrespectful.
(d) Quiet and shy.
5. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(b) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(c) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(d) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
2. What is a miai?
3. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
4. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
5. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
2. How does Taro behave during the miai?
3. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
4. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
5. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
6. What does Matsuda say about his own perspective now that he is old and ill?
7. What does Ono say the New Japan proved about him and about Matsuda?
8. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
9. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
10. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)