|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(b) By threatening to send him to his room.
(c) By threatening him with a time out.
(d) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
2. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To shorten the walk to town.
(b) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(c) To improve her social standing.
(d) To impress his son's high school friends.
3. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He grew his plants from seeds.
(b) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(c) He sent for plants from abroad.
(d) He grew his plants from sprouts.
4. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
5. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
(a) Roy Rogers.
(b) Lord Yoshitsune.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) Gene Autry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
2. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
3. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
4. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
5. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
2. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
3. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
4. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
5. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
6. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
7. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
8. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
9. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
10. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)