|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(b) He's playing a game.
(c) He wants to stay with his mother.
(d) He says it's women's work.
2. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He grew his plants from sprouts.
(b) He grew his plants from seeds.
(c) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(d) He sent for plants from abroad.
3. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Quiet and shy.
(b) Boastful and rude.
(c) Lively and intelligent.
(d) Noisy and disrespectful.
4. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) The Lone Ranger.
(b) The Ninja of the wind.
(c) A samurai warrior.
(d) Roy Rogers.
5. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
(a) She cancels the trip to go to the cinema with him.
(b) She berates her sister for her rudeness.
(c) She insists that he be invited to come along.
(d) She decides to stay home with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
2. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
3. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
4. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
5. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
2. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
3. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
4. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
5. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
6. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
7. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
8. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
9. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
10. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)