|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(b) Failing to learn from them.
(c) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(d) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
2. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
(a) Recommend his artwork.
(b) Claim that Ono had painted the posters.
(c) Verify that Shintaro had done the posters against his will.
(d) Verify that Shintaro had created the posters.
3. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(b) By threatening him with a time out.
(c) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(d) By threatening to send him to his room.
4. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Fire engines.
(b) Anti-war slogans.
(d) Destroyed buildings.
5. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(c) He has found a new job.
(d) He is leaving the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
2. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
3. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
4. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
5. Which of the sisters is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
2. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
3. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
4. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
5. How does Taro behave during the miai?
6. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
7. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
8. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
9. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
10. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)