|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
(a) First he is welcoming, then openly hostile.
(b) First he is hostile, then openly welcoming.
(c) First he is welcoming, then embarrassed.
(d) First he is hostile, then he becomes openly aggressive.
2. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By threatening him with a time out.
(b) By threatening to send him to his room.
(c) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(d) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
3. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(c) He has found a new job.
(d) He is leaving the city.
4. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
(a) Hold out for a higher offer.
(b) Accept the builders' offer to buy her place.
(c) Stand and fight for her place.
(d) Refuse to sell her place.
5. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
(a) Retire to the seaside.
(b) Start a smaller place in the suburbs.
(c) Relax and put her feet up.
(d) Build a fine new place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
2. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
3. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
4. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
5. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
2. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
3. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
4. Why is it unlikely that the Miyakes withdrew from marriage negotiations because they felt inferior?
5. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
6. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
7. How does Taro behave during the miai?
8. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
9. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
10. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)