|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(a) More modern bars.
(d) Office buildings.
2. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
(a) By calling her a boy.
(b) By calling her ugly.
(c) By making fun of her awkwardness.
(d) By beating her at games.
3. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Shabby and out of place.
(b) Quaint and charming.
(c) Homelike and appealing.
(d) Traditional and historic.
4. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By joking too loudly.
(b) By changing his painting style.
(c) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(d) By drinking too much.
5. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(b) They've gone too far.
(c) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(d) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
2. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
3. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
4. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
5. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
2. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
3. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
4. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
5. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
6. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
7. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
8. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
9. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
10. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)