|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
(a) Lord Yoshitsune.
(b) Roy Rogers.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) Gene Autry.
2. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's messy.
(b) He's headstrong.
(c) He's unusually intelligent.
(d) He's precocious.
3. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It reflects many cultures.
(b) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(c) It is skillfully designed.
(d) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
4. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) Ono will pray for its return.
(b) It would be better if it returned.
(c) It may yet return.
(d) It is just as well that it will not return.
5. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Shabby and out of place.
(b) Traditional and historic.
(c) Quaint and charming.
(d) Homelike and appealing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
2. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
3. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
4. Which of the sisters is older?
5. What position is Shintaro applying for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
2. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
3. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
4. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
5. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
6. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
7. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
8. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
9. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
10. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)