|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono view Shintaro's childlike attitude about the war?
(a) Ono sees Shintaro as cleverly pretending to be ignorant.
(b) Ono sees Shintaro as unaccountable for his actions.
(c) Ono hopes his friend will return to him.
(d) Ono sees Shintaro as permanently damaged by the war.
2. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
(a) By acting as if the marriage negotiations were settled.
(b) By implying that she would never marry.
(c) By insulting her father.
(d) By disparaging their house.
3. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
(b) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
(c) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
(d) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
4. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) The Ninja of the wind.
(b) The Lone Ranger.
(c) A samurai warrior.
(d) Roy Rogers.
5. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) A trip to the art museum.
(b) She bought new games to play at home.
(c) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
(d) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
Short Answer Questions
1. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
2. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
3. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
4. How does Mrs. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
5. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
2. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
3. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
4. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
5. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
6. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
7. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
8. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
9. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
10. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)