|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(b) Geisha houses.
(c) Theaters and restaurants.
2. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
(a) Relax and put her feet up.
(b) Build a fine new place.
(c) Retire to the seaside.
(d) Start a smaller place in the suburbs.
3. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
(a) Ono sees Shintaro as cunning and underhanded.
(b) Ono sees Shintaro as foolish.
(c) Ono sees Shintaro as innocent.
(d) Ono sees Shintaro as a victim of other's deceits.
4. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Boastful and rude.
(b) Quiet and shy.
(c) Lively and intelligent.
(d) Noisy and disrespectful.
5. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They are ugly and too modern.
(b) They are a sign of progress.
(c) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
(d) They are beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
2. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
3. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
4. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
5. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
2. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
3. When does Ono achieve his greatest feeling of triumph?
4. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
5. Why does the smell of burning still make Ono uneasy while he is relaxing in Matsuda's garden?
6. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
7. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
8. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
9. What does Noriko accuse Ono of when he is working in the garden?
10. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)