|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) He had a bad leg.
(b) He was his family's only support.
(c) He was mentally defective.
(d) His service as an artist was more important.
2. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
(b) Because Ono admires his painting.
(c) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
(d) Because he is unchanged by the war.
3. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The veranda.
(c) The long corridor.
(d) The reception room.
4. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
(b) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
(c) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
(d) Noriko might become overconfident.
5. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
(a) By acting as if the marriage negotiations were settled.
(b) By implying that she would never marry.
(c) By disparaging their house.
(d) By insulting her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Taro Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
2. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
3. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
4. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
5. What does Ono like best about the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
2. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
3. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
4. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
5. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
6. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
7. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
8. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
9. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
10. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)