|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
(a) His time as Moriyama's student.
(b) His creation of posters during the China crisis.
(c) His sloppier art work.
(d) His friendship with Ono.
2. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
(b) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
(c) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(d) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
3. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(b) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(c) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(d) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
4. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(b) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(c) That he would build a room for her.
(d) That she could live with their family.
5. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(b) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(c) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(d) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
2. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
3. How does Mrs. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
4. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
5. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
2. Why is it unlikely that the Miyakes withdrew from marriage negotiations because they felt inferior?
3. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
4. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
5. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
6. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
7. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
8. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
9. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
10. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)