|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(b) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(c) They've gone too far.
(d) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
2. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(b) Office buildings.
(c) More modern bars.
3. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
(a) Ono is her only friend.
(b) Ono is shrewd about business matters.
(c) Ono could support the endeavor.
(d) Ono is her last dependable customer.
4. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
(b) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
(c) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
(d) If Shintaro would find a wife.
5. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Shabby and out of place.
(b) Quaint and charming.
(c) Traditional and historic.
(d) Homelike and appealing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
2. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
3. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
4. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
5. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
2. How does Taro behave during the miai?
3. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
4. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
5. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
6. What is Mrs. Kawakami hesitating to decide?
7. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
8. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
9. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
10. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)