|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
(b) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
(c) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(d) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
2. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It is skillfully designed.
(b) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
(c) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(d) It reflects many cultures.
3. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
(b) They are ugly and too modern.
(c) They are beautiful.
(d) They are a sign of progress.
4. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
(a) Trying to stop the war effort.
(b) Refusing to participate in the war effort.
(c) Ignoring the war effort.
(d) Encouraging the war effort.
5. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
(b) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
(c) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
(d) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
2. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
3. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
4. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
5. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
2. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
3. How does Taro behave during the miai?
4. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
5. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
6. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
7. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
8. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
9. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
10. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)