|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
(b) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
(c) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
(d) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
2. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Homelike and appealing.
(b) Shabby and out of place.
(c) Quaint and charming.
(d) Traditional and historic.
3. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
(b) Bring all his friends to her bar.
(c) Loan her money.
(d) Visit her new bar when it's built.
4. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
(a) The long corridor.
(b) The veranda.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The reception room.
5. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
(a) American heroes.
(b) Japanese heroes.
(c) Samurai warriors.
(d) Ninja fighters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
2. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
3. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
4. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
5. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
2. Why does Ono lose respect for Shintaro?
3. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
4. Why is it unlikely that the Miyakes withdrew from marriage negotiations because they felt inferior?
5. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
6. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
7. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
8. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
9. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
10. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)