|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
(a) Ichiro invented his own language.
(b) Ichiro was speaking German.
(c) Ichiro mumbled.
(d) Ichiro was speaking English.
2. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(b) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(c) By threatening to send him to his room.
(d) By threatening him with a time out.
3. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(b) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(c) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(d) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
4. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
(b) That he had no talents.
(c) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(d) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
5. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
(a) Seeing her old friend Shintaro.
(b) Watching customers come in.
(c) Remembering what a splendid district it had once been.
(d) Seeing her old friend Ono.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
2. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
3. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
4. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
5. How does Mrs. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
2. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
3. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
4. How does Ono console himself that he did not visit his old friend as often as he had intended to?
5. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
6. Why is Ono irritated at Setsuko's insistence that Saito never heard of Ono until the miai?
7. The reader learns some news about Noriko at the same time Matsuda does. What is the news?
8. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
9. How does Ono explain Naguchi's suicide to Ichiro?
10. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)