|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He has found a new job.
(c) He is leaving the city.
(d) He has applied for several teaching positions.
2. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Quiet and shy.
(b) Noisy and disrespectful.
(c) Lively and intelligent.
(d) Boastful and rude.
3. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
(a) He wrote a letter of recommendation.
(b) He found him a wife.
(c) He loaned him money.
(d) He hired him as an apprentice.
4. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) Noriko might become overconfident.
(b) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
(c) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
(d) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
5. How does Ono view Shintaro's childlike attitude about the war?
(a) Ono hopes his friend will return to him.
(b) Ono sees Shintaro as unaccountable for his actions.
(c) Ono sees Shintaro as permanently damaged by the war.
(d) Ono sees Shintaro as cleverly pretending to be ignorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
2. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
3. What does Ono like best about the house?
4. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
5. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono decide to watch Mitsuo during the miai?
2. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
3. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
4. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
5. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
6. How does Mr. Yamagata thank Ono for his support of the Migi-Hidari?
7. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
8. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
9. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
10. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)