|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It brought shame to his employees.
(b) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(c) It was a tragic waste.
(d) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
2. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
(a) Encouraging the war effort.
(b) Trying to stop the war effort.
(c) Ignoring the war effort.
(d) Refusing to participate in the war effort.
3. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
(a) Seeing her old friend Ono.
(b) Remembering what a splendid district it had once been.
(c) Seeing her old friend Shintaro.
(d) Watching customers come in.
4. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Failing to learn from them.
(b) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(c) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(d) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
5. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's improved the house alone.
(b) He's learning to cook.
(c) He's modernized his painting style.
(d) He's learning to speak English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
2. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
3. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
4. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
5. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
2. What does Shintaro ask Ono to do for him?
3. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
4. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
5. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
6. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
7. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
8. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
9. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
10. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)