|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
(a) They selected the first to make an offer.
(b) They selected a relative.
(c) They had an auction of prestige.
(d) They sold to the highest bidder.
2. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) The construction workers are the only ones.
(b) Ono is the only one.
(c) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
(d) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
3. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(a) Office buildings.
(c) More modern bars.
4. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
(b) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(c) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
(d) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
5. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) The others had worse records than the Onos.
(b) The investigation wouldn't take long.
(c) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
(d) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
2. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
3. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
4. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
5. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ono admire Sugimura's work on Kawabe Park, even though Sugimura failed to accomplish his goals?
2. How does Matsuda console himself when thinking of his actions during the war?
3. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
4. What does Matsuda believe was his and Ono's great misfortune?
5. What is the likely reason for Miyake's sudden withdrawal from the marriage negotiations?
6. What has changed since 1948 in regards to Ono's painting?
7. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
8. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
9. How does Ono believe a teacher should regard his students diverging from his teachings?
10. Why does Ono's father burn his paintings?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)