|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Taro Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) They've gone too far.
(d) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
2. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
(a) He mopes.
(b) He is sociable.
(c) He wanders.
(d) He tyrannizes her.
3. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
(a) By beating her at games.
(b) By making fun of her awkwardness.
(c) By calling her a boy.
(d) By calling her ugly.
4. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
(b) The others had worse records than the Onos.
(c) The investigation wouldn't take long.
(d) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
5. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
(a) He praises Kuroda's work.
(b) He says that Kuroda would not have a high opinion of him.
(c) He denies ever knowing Kuroda.
(d) He assures them that Kuroda would speak well of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
2. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
3. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
4. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
5. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
2. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
3. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
4. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
5. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
6. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
7. What is the difference in Noriko's behavior between her first and second miai?
8. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
9. Why does Enchi ask Ono to leave when he learns who he really is?
10. How does Taro behave during the miai?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)