|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Visit her new bar when it's built.
(b) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
(c) Bring all his friends to her bar.
(d) Loan her money.
2. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
(a) Ono sees Shintaro as cunning and underhanded.
(b) Ono sees Shintaro as foolish.
(c) Ono sees Shintaro as innocent.
(d) Ono sees Shintaro as a victim of other's deceits.
3. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By threatening him with a time out.
(b) By threatening to send him to his room.
(c) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(d) By telling him she will give him a treat.
4. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
(b) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
(c) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
(d) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
5. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) A samurai warrior.
(b) The Ninja of the wind.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) Roy Rogers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
2. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
3. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
4. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
5. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
2. Suichi says that American heroes are better role models for his son that Japanese heroes. Why would that be?
3. How does the Migi-Hidari show its loyalty to the emperor?
4. How does Ono persuade the authorities that the Migi-Hidari should be built in the pleasure district?
5. How does Saito regard the demonstrations in the streets?
6. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
7. Why does Suichi become angry at Kenji's funeral ceremony?
8. Why is Ono worried about Kuroda's attitude now?
9. Why does Enchi treat Ono in such a friendly way when he arrives to visit Kuroda?
10. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)