|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(b) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
(c) It reflects many cultures.
(d) It is skillfully designed.
2. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(b) He's playing a game.
(c) He wants to stay with his mother.
(d) He says it's women's work.
3. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
(a) Get up for breakfast.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Remember to eat.
(d) Stay awake for dinner.
4. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
(a) He found him a wife.
(b) He wrote a letter of recommendation.
(c) He loaned him money.
(d) He hired him as an apprentice.
5. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(c) Office buildings.
(d) More modern bars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
2. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
3. What has changed in the city between 1948 and 1949?
4. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
5. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
2. Why does Ono say he would never forgive himself if he became like his father?
3. Why is it unlikely that the Miyakes withdrew from marriage negotiations because they felt inferior?
4. Ono says that he would not have made his admission of guilt at the miai had he not felt compelled to do so. What social situation compelled him?
5. Why does Ono conceal his efforts on her behalf from Noriko during the weeks leading up to the miai?
6. Why does Ono feel compelled to confess his activities during the war during the miai?
7. What does Ono see as the result of his confession during the miai?
8. What does Ono conceal from Noriko in the weeks leading up to her miai?
9. What tragic event happens to the mentally challenged Hirayama?
10. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)