|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
(a) The Shigeta Foundation Award.
(b) A statue in his honor in the city park.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) A commission from the emperor.
2. What does Matsuda say the world sees when they look at Ono and Matsuda now that the war is behind them?
(a) Two old men with sticks.
(b) Two traitors to their country.
(c) Two instigators of a war.
(d) Two failed imperialists.
3. What does Setsuko say in Kawabe Park that irritates Ono?
(a) That she is ashamed of his behavior.
(b) That he had embarrassed the family during the miai.
(c) That it would be appropriate for him to consider suicide.
(d) That everyone was surprised at his self-incrimination during the miai.
4. What is always somewhere in a Moriyama painting?
(a) A lantern.
(b) A lotus.
(c) A teapot.
(d) A mountain.
5. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
(a) To change modern art in Europe.
(b) To change painting in their city to conform to his idea of style.
(c) To spread their art throughout Japan.
(d) To spread their art throughout the world.
6. What goal had Ono and Matsuda shared in the old days?
(a) Teaching the artists of tomorrow.
(b) Finding perfect wives.
(c) Becoming world famous artists.
(d) Making a grand contribution to the war effort.
7. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
(a) It reminds him of bombings and fire.
(b) It reminds him of burned paintings.
(c) It frightens him that the fire will spread.
(d) It reminds him of the burning of his house.
8. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
(a) Ono said Naguchi was very brave and honorable.
(b) Ono said the death was tragic and sad.
(c) Ono said the death was foolish and wasteful.
(d) Ono said the death was cowardly.
9. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
(a) His father might get drunk.
(b) His aunt Noriko might get drunk.
(c) Ichiro might get drunk.
(d) His grandfather Ono might get drunk.
10. What is Ichiro's favorite food now that he is eight-years-old?
(a) Ice cream.
(d) Shrimp with rice.
11. What does Ono hope his own students will do?
(a) Remain grateful to Ono for what they learned.
(b) Conceal their relationship to Ono.
(c) Forget Ono's part in the war.
(d) Forget they ever knew Ono.
12. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
(a) With evident disdain.
(b) With complete disinterest.
(c) With great respect.
(d) With obvious curiosity.
13. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) No one had appreciated his music.
(b) His songs had been used to promote war.
(c) He had a terminal illness.
(d) His songs had been misunderstood.
14. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
(b) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
(c) They wrote slurs about one another.
(d) They destroyed each other's paintings.
15. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
(d) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Ono visit Matsuda after re-establishing contact with him?
2. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
3. Why does Ono quit painting for such a long time?
4. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
5. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)