|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous Japanese artist does Moriyama emulate?
2. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
(a) They spoke as though he were not present.
(b) They wrote critiques of each painting.
(c) They asked him questions as he worked.
(d) They told him they thought his painting was marvelous.
3. What is the last year covered in this story?
4. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
(a) To spread their art throughout Japan.
(b) To spread their art throughout the world.
(c) To change modern art in Europe.
(d) To change painting in their city to conform to his idea of style.
5. Why does Matsuda envy Ono?
(a) Ono's work is more admired.
(b) Ono is more handsome.
(c) Ono is wealthier.
(d) Ono has better health.
6. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
(a) The belief that Moriyama would be proud of him.
(b) The belief that he had outlasted his enemies.
(c) The belief that he had accomplished something of real value.
(d) The belief that his work was much admired.
7. What traits does Ono observe that Ichiro has inherited from his mother?
(a) Mannerisms and little facial habits.
(b) Ways of speaking.
(d) His height and facial features.
8. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
9. Who does Matsuda claim has been blamed for Japan's downfall?
(a) The emperor and his household.
(b) The voting public.
(c) Artists and musicians.
(d) Military men, politicians, and businessmen.
10. What brought about the chances in Moriyama's standing?
(a) He had changed his European style.
(b) His European style was seen as unpatriotic.
(c) He had returned to traditional Japanese art.
(d) His European style was increasingly admired.
11. What does Ono say in Noriko's kitchen that upsets Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) That Ichiro should have a taste of sake with dinner.
(b) That Ichiro should never drink sake.
(c) That Ichiro should be taught better manners.
(d) That Ichiro should wait a few years for sake.
12. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It is spacious.
(b) It is very traditional.
(c) It is Western and modern.
(d) It has a spectacular view of the city.
13. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
(a) The Shigeta Foundation Award.
(b) The Nobel Prize.
(c) A commission from the emperor.
(d) A statue in his honor in the city park.
14. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
(a) Flowers sent during Ono's illness.
(b) A letter of encouragement during Ono's illness.
(c) Matsuda recommended Ono to an art dealer.
(d) Matsuda loaned Ono money.
15. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
(a) Because his aunt Noriko says spinach will make him strong.
(b) Because his mother says spinach will make him strong.
(c) Because his father says spinach will make him strong.
(d) Because Popeye says spinach makes him strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
2. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
3. How does Matsuda describe the contribution he and Ono made?
4. When Ono and Matsuda examine their lives, what do they see, according to Matsuda?
5. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)