|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
(a) A commission from the emperor.
(b) The Nobel Prize.
(c) A statue in his honor in the city park.
(d) The Shigeta Foundation Award.
2. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It is spacious.
(b) It is very traditional.
(c) It has a spectacular view of the city.
(d) It is Western and modern.
3. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
(a) She doesn't want to attract the neighbor boy.
(b) She's afraid he'll fall into the pond.
(c) She can do it more easily.
(d) He fell on the stones a few months ago.
4. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
(a) No man has painted better than I.
(b) No man will make me believe I have wasted my time.
(c) No man has helped more students than I have.
(d) No man has furthered art in our country more than I have.
5. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
(a) His former teacher, Moriyama.
(b) His friend, Shintaro.
(c) His old friend Matsuda.
(d) His admiration of Sugimura.
6. What remains of Sugimura's planned Kawabe Park?
(a) Only the grass where the museums and theaters would have stood.
(b) Only the kabuki theater.
(c) Only the concert hall.
(d) Only the museum.
7. How often does Ono visit Matsuda after re-establishing contact with him?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Every day.
(c) Just once.
(d) Once a month.
8. What is the mood of Moriyama's paintings?
(a) Cheerful and multicolored.
(b) Bright and sunny.
(c) Black and depressed.
(d) Melancholy and nocturnal.
9. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
(a) A neighbor is clearing his garden.
(b) Bombs are falling.
(c) Someone is barbecuing.
(d) A house is burning.
10. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
(a) By leaving his fortune to the local university.
(b) By eliminating the pleasure district.
(c) By holding prestigious auctions for his four houses.
(d) By converting Kawabe Park into the focus of culture.
11. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
(a) With complete disinterest.
(b) With obvious curiosity.
(c) With great respect.
(d) With evident disdain.
12. What qualities does Ono claim he shared with Matsuda when they were younger?
(a) Creativity and inspiration.
(b) Energy and courage.
(c) Vision and hope.
(d) Empathy and kindness.
13. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
(a) Matsuda recommended Ono to an art dealer.
(b) A letter of encouragement during Ono's illness.
(c) Flowers sent during Ono's illness.
(d) Matsuda loaned Ono money.
14. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
15. Why does Matsuda envy Ono?
(a) Ono has better health.
(b) Ono is more handsome.
(c) Ono is wealthier.
(d) Ono's work is more admired.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
2. What is always somewhere in a Moriyama painting?
3. How does Ichiro try to be grown-up when he meets Ono in the park?
4. What is the "floating world"?
5. When did Saito first meet Ono?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)