|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shows European influences on Moriyama?
(a) He abandoned the use of dark outlines.
(b) He used bold, bright colors.
(c) He outlined his figures in black.
(d) He used oils instead of watercolors.
2. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
(a) With complete disinterest.
(b) With great respect.
(c) With evident disdain.
(d) With obvious curiosity.
3. What does Ono tell Ichiro about why men drink sake?
(a) It helps men see the beauty of the floating world.
(b) It separates strong men from weak women.
(c) It makes a man stronger.
(d) For a little while, they can believe they're stronger.
4. Why had Moriyama been happy with his work looking back on it as an old man?
(a) He had devoted his life to nurturing young talent.
(b) He had devoted his life to repudiating debauchery.
(c) He had devoted his life to capturing a unique beauty.
(d) He had devoted his life to changing with modernizing trends.
5. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) A day.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) A week.
6. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
(a) The Shigeta Foundation Award.
(b) A statue in his honor in the city park.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) A commission from the emperor.
7. Which of Sugimura's plans does Ono believe is "eccentric"?
(a) A museum of natural science.
(b) A European style concert hall.
(c) A new kabuki theater.
(d) A cemetery for cats and dogs.
8. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
(a) Matsuda loaned Ono money.
(b) A letter of encouragement during Ono's illness.
(c) Flowers sent during Ono's illness.
(d) Matsuda recommended Ono to an art dealer.
9. What is the last year covered in this story?
10. Why does the Tortoise often destroy his own paintings?
(a) Because he could never satisfy his own plan.
(b) Because Moriyama did not like them.
(c) Because Sasaki, the leading pupil, called them "disloyal".
(d) Because Ono did not like them.
11. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) His songs had been used to promote war.
(b) No one had appreciated his music.
(c) His songs had been misunderstood.
(d) He had a terminal illness.
12. What implication does Setsuko make in Noriko's kitchen that offends Ono?
(a) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too strict.
(b) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too lax.
(c) That Ono had ignored his wife's advice about child-rearing.
(d) That Ono's ideas had caused Kenji's death.
13. How have the students behaved watching Moriyama paint?
(a) They asked him questions as he worked.
(b) They wrote critiques of each painting.
(c) They told him they thought his painting was marvelous.
(d) They spoke as though he were not present.
14. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) His worldview was too broad.
(b) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(c) He had no interest in politics.
(d) He had no understanding of politics.
15. What does Setsuko say in Kawabe Park that irritates Ono?
(a) That it would be appropriate for him to consider suicide.
(b) That everyone was surprised at his self-incrimination during the miai.
(c) That she is ashamed of his behavior.
(d) That he had embarrassed the family during the miai.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Ono visit Matsuda after re-establishing contact with him?
2. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
3. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
4. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
5. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)