Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
(a) She's expecting a child.
(b) She's getting a divorce.
(c) The marriage has been unhappy.
(d) The marriage was annulled.
2. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
(a) A letter of encouragement during Ono's illness.
(b) Flowers sent during Ono's illness.
(c) Matsuda loaned Ono money.
(d) Matsuda recommended Ono to an art dealer.
3. What brought about the chances in Moriyama's standing?
(a) He had changed his European style.
(b) He had returned to traditional Japanese art.
(c) His European style was seen as unpatriotic.
(d) His European style was increasingly admired.
4. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) He had a terminal illness.
(b) No one had appreciated his music.
(c) His songs had been used to promote war.
(d) His songs had been misunderstood.
5. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
(a) By eliminating the pleasure district.
(b) By holding prestigious auctions for his four houses.
(c) By leaving his fortune to the local university.
(d) By converting Kawabe Park into the focus of culture.
6. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
(a) His former teacher, Moriyama.
(b) His friend, Shintaro.
(c) His old friend Matsuda.
(d) His admiration of Sugimura.
7. When did Saito first meet Ono?
(a) Two years ago.
(b) At the miai.
(c) The week before the miai.
(d) Sixteen years ago.
8. What does Matsuda's neighbor boy do each day?
(a) He comes to visit.
(b) He feeds the fish.
(c) He climbs up on the wall between the houses.
(d) He climbs a tree to watch Matsuda feed the fish.
9. What is always somewhere in a Moriyama painting?
(a) A lantern.
(b) A lotus.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A teapot.
10. What does Matsuda say the world sees when they look at Ono and Matsuda now that the war is behind them?
(a) Two old men with sticks.
(b) Two failed imperialists.
(c) Two traitors to their country.
(d) Two instigators of a war.
11. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
(a) He was too busy improving the world.
(b) He was too busy traveling the world.
(c) He had too many girlfriends.
(d) He never found the right woman.
12. What does Ono tell Ichiro about why men drink sake?
(a) It separates strong men from weak women.
(b) It helps men see the beauty of the floating world.
(c) It makes a man stronger.
(d) For a little while, they can believe they're stronger.
13. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They wrote slurs about one another.
(b) They destroyed each other's paintings.
(c) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
(d) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
14. What implication does Setsuko make in Noriko's kitchen that offends Ono?
(a) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too lax.
(b) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too strict.
(c) That Ono's ideas had caused Kenji's death.
(d) That Ono had ignored his wife's advice about child-rearing.
15. Why doesn't Miss Suzuki want Matsuda to feed his fish?
(a) She can do it more easily.
(b) She's afraid he'll fall into the pond.
(c) She doesn't want to attract the neighbor boy.
(d) He fell on the stones a few months ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichiro's favorite food now that he is eight-years-old?
2. How does Setsuko think Saito felt about Ono?
3. What is the last year covered in this story?
4. What had Ono completed the same week he received the award?
5. Why is Ono surprised at Setsuko's view of Noriko's marriage negotiation?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)