|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
(a) It is broader and includes the whole country.
(b) It is all-encompassing and not bound by political borders.
(c) It is skewed by the damage done by the war.
(d) It is still narrow and doesn't extend much beyond the city.
2. What shows European influences on Moriyama?
(a) He used oils instead of watercolors.
(b) He used bold, bright colors.
(c) He outlined his figures in black.
(d) He abandoned the use of dark outlines.
3. What does the neighbor boy do when Matsuda speaks to him?
(a) He chats with Matsuda.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He comes into the yard.
(d) He comes into the house.
4. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They destroyed each other's paintings.
(b) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
(c) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
(d) They wrote slurs about one another.
5. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
(a) To spread their art throughout Japan.
(b) To change modern art in Europe.
(c) To change painting in their city to conform to his idea of style.
(d) To spread their art throughout the world.
6. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
(a) No man has helped more students than I have.
(b) No man will make me believe I have wasted my time.
(c) No man has furthered art in our country more than I have.
(d) No man has painted better than I.
7. What does Ono believe should give Matsuda and him satisfaction as they review their lives?
(a) They supported a just cause.
(b) They followed honorable leaders.
(c) They acted in the best of faith.
(d) They were too young to be accountable.
8. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he is like Naguchi.
(b) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
(c) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(d) That he is not like Naguchi.
9. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) He had no interest in politics.
(b) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(c) His worldview was too broad.
(d) He had no understanding of politics.
10. Why does the Tortoise often destroy his own paintings?
(a) Because Ono did not like them.
(b) Because Sasaki, the leading pupil, called them "disloyal".
(c) Because Moriyama did not like them.
(d) Because he could never satisfy his own plan.
11. What implication does Setsuko make in Noriko's kitchen that offends Ono?
(a) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too strict.
(b) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too lax.
(c) That Ono's ideas had caused Kenji's death.
(d) That Ono had ignored his wife's advice about child-rearing.
12. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
(a) Ono said the death was tragic and sad.
(b) Ono said the death was foolish and wasteful.
(c) Ono said the death was cowardly.
(d) Ono said Naguchi was very brave and honorable.
13. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
(a) The belief that he had outlasted his enemies.
(b) The belief that Moriyama would be proud of him.
(c) The belief that his work was much admired.
(d) The belief that he had accomplished something of real value.
14. What qualities does Ono claim he shared with Matsuda when they were younger?
(a) Creativity and inspiration.
(b) Empathy and kindness.
(c) Energy and courage.
(d) Vision and hope.
15. Why is Ono surprised at Setsuko's view of Noriko's marriage negotiation?
(a) Because he had salvaged the negotiations.
(b) Because she had made a similar confession.
(c) Because she had been the one who suggested that he take steps to clarify his position.
(d) Because his declaration had a good result.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
2. What does the visiting Gisaburo say about nights in the floating world?
3. Who dies in June, 1950?
4. How does Moriyama respond to his students' comments about his painting?
5. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)