|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ichiro try to be grown-up when he meets Ono in the park?
(a) He doesn't smile.
(b) He refuses to play.
(c) He shakes hands instead of hugging him.
(d) He behaves calmly.
2. What kindness does Matsuda perform for Ono?
(a) Flowers sent during Ono's illness.
(b) Matsuda recommended Ono to an art dealer.
(c) Matsuda loaned Ono money.
(d) A letter of encouragement during Ono's illness.
3. What does Ono tell Ichiro about why men drink sake?
(a) For a little while, they can believe they're stronger.
(b) It helps men see the beauty of the floating world.
(c) It makes a man stronger.
(d) It separates strong men from weak women.
4. Why does Ono admire Sugimura?
(a) He was a skilled landscape designer.
(b) He aspired to make a fortune.
(c) He aspired to rise above mediocrity.
(d) He aspired to fame.
5. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) His worldview was too broad.
(b) He had no understanding of politics.
(c) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(d) He had no interest in politics.
6. What does the visiting Gisaburo say about nights in the floating world?
(a) The worst things happen in the darkness.
(b) Only drunkards find value in that which fades in the morning.
(c) The best things are put together at night and vanish in the morning.
(d) All artists seek the light of day.
7. What implication does Setsuko make in Noriko's kitchen that offends Ono?
(a) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too strict.
(b) That Ono's ideas had caused Kenji's death.
(c) That Ono had ignored his wife's advice about child-rearing.
(d) That Ono's child-rearing ideas had been too lax.
8. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Eighteen months.
9. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(b) That he is not like Naguchi.
(c) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
(d) That he is like Naguchi.
10. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) He had a terminal illness.
(b) His songs had been used to promote war.
(c) No one had appreciated his music.
(d) His songs had been misunderstood.
11. What is the last year covered in this story?
12. What does the neighbor boy do when Matsuda speaks to him?
(a) He comes into the house.
(b) He chats with Matsuda.
(c) He comes into the yard.
(d) He runs away.
13. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
(a) Painting houses.
(b) Painting patriotic posters.
(c) Painting magazine illustrations.
(d) Painting advertisements.
14. What qualities does Ono claim he shared with Matsuda when they were younger?
(a) Vision and hope.
(b) Energy and courage.
(c) Empathy and kindness.
(d) Creativity and inspiration.
15. What is Ichiro's favorite food now that he is eight-years-old?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Shrimp with rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
2. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
3. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
4. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
5. What does Ono say in Noriko's kitchen that upsets Noriko and Setsuko?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)