Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
(a) Ono said the death was tragic and sad.
(b) Ono said Naguchi was very brave and honorable.
(c) Ono said the death was foolish and wasteful.
(d) Ono said the death was cowardly.
2. What is the common subject of Moriyama's paintings?
(a) The sea.
3. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
(a) It is broader and includes the whole country.
(b) It is all-encompassing and not bound by political borders.
(c) It is still narrow and doesn't extend much beyond the city.
(d) It is skewed by the damage done by the war.
4. What happened to Moriyama after Ono left his school?
(a) His reputation had declined.
(b) His reputation had spread.
(c) His work was displayed at the palace.
(d) His work had been admired in Europe.
5. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
(a) Bombs are falling.
(b) Someone is barbecuing.
(c) A house is burning.
(d) A neighbor is clearing his garden.
6. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Setsuko?
(a) She and her husband are on vacation.
(b) She is studying art.
(c) She is expecting a second child.
(d) She is attending cooking school.
7. How does Setsuko think Saito felt about Ono?
(a) Setsuko thinks Saito disapproved of Ono.
(b) Setsuko thinks Saito had no idea who Ono was until the marriage negotiations.
(c) Setsuko thinks Saito was rude to Ono.
(d) Setsuko thinks Saito was an admirer of Ono's work.
8. What traits does Ono observe that Ichiro has inherited from his mother?
(b) Ways of speaking.
(c) His height and facial features.
(d) Mannerisms and little facial habits.
9. Which of Sugimura's plans does Ono believe is "eccentric"?
(a) A new kabuki theater.
(b) A European style concert hall.
(c) A museum of natural science.
(d) A cemetery for cats and dogs.
10. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) He had no understanding of politics.
(b) He had no interest in politics.
(c) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(d) His worldview was too broad.
11. What does Matsuda say about his own present-day perspective on life during his last conversation with Ono?
(a) It is national and patriotic.
(b) It is broader than Ono's perspective.
(c) It is global.
(d) It doesn't extend much beyond his own garden.
12. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
(a) By converting Kawabe Park into the focus of culture.
(b) By holding prestigious auctions for his four houses.
(c) By leaving his fortune to the local university.
(d) By eliminating the pleasure district.
13. What is the "floating world"?
(a) The world of nighttime entertainment and drink.
(b) The water lilies in the palace courtyard.
(c) The changing political landscape of Japan.
(d) The life of beachcombers and fishermen.
14. How did Saito treat Ono during their first encounter?
(a) With great respect.
(b) With complete disinterest.
(c) With obvious curiosity.
(d) With evident disdain.
15. How does Ono feel about the future of Japan?
(a) There is a chance to make a better go of things.
(b) The destruction will never be forgotten.
(c) The best times are behind them.
(d) Their world is permanently ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
2. What news does Ono give Matsuda about Noriko?
3. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
4. Why doesn't Ono go to Moriyama's villa?
5. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)