|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remains of Sugimura's planned Kawabe Park?
(a) Only the grass where the museums and theaters would have stood.
(b) Only the kabuki theater.
(c) Only the concert hall.
(d) Only the museum.
2. Why doesn't Ono go to Moriyama's villa?
(a) It seemed pointless.
(b) The villa was closed.
(c) The train was leaving.
(d) He fell asleep.
3. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
(a) His former teacher, Moriyama.
(b) His old friend Matsuda.
(c) His friend, Shintaro.
(d) His admiration of Sugimura.
4. What famous Japanese artist does Moriyama emulate?
5. Why had Matsuda called Ono naive in the old days?
(a) His perspective as an artist was narrow.
(b) He had no interest in politics.
(c) He had no understanding of politics.
(d) His worldview was too broad.
6. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
(a) He is much the same.
(b) He is much stronger.
(c) He is much weaker.
(d) He is asleep for most of the visit.
7. What is the "floating world"?
(a) The world of nighttime entertainment and drink.
(b) The water lilies in the palace courtyard.
(c) The changing political landscape of Japan.
(d) The life of beachcombers and fishermen.
8. What traits does Ono observe that Ichiro has inherited from his mother?
(b) Ways of speaking.
(c) His height and facial features.
(d) Mannerisms and little facial habits.
9. What does Ono say in Noriko's kitchen that upsets Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) That Ichiro should never drink sake.
(b) That Ichiro should be taught better manners.
(c) That Ichiro should have a taste of sake with dinner.
(d) That Ichiro should wait a few years for sake.
10. Why does Ono introduce Kenji into the conversation in Noriko's kitchen?
(a) He suddenly recalls his son's death.
(b) He had argued with his wife about giving Kenji sake at the same age.
(c) His son, had he been present, would have taken his side.
(d) He feels outnumbered by women.
11. How does Matsuda describe the contribution he and Ono made?
(a) It was important.
(b) It was critical.
(c) It was negligible.
(d) It was marginal.
12. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
(b) That he is not like Naguchi.
(c) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(d) That he is like Naguchi.
13. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
(a) To change modern art in Europe.
(b) To spread their art throughout Japan.
(c) To change painting in their city to conform to his idea of style.
(d) To spread their art throughout the world.
14. What phrase does Ono tell his pupils that is similar to what Moriyama has said?
(a) No man has furthered art in our country more than I have.
(b) No man has painted better than I.
(c) No man will make me believe I have wasted my time.
(d) No man has helped more students than I have.
15. What is Ichiro's favorite food now that he is eight-years-old?
(a) Shrimp with rice.
(d) Ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Setsuko say in Kawabe Park that irritates Ono?
2. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
3. Why does Matsuda say he never married?
4. Who dies in June, 1950?
5. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)