|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It is very traditional.
(b) It is spacious.
(c) It has a spectacular view of the city.
(d) It is Western and modern.
2. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
(b) That he is like Naguchi.
(c) That he is not like Naguchi.
(d) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
3. What is the "floating world"?
(a) The life of beachcombers and fishermen.
(b) The world of nighttime entertainment and drink.
(c) The changing political landscape of Japan.
(d) The water lilies in the palace courtyard.
4. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) His songs had been used to promote war.
(b) He had a terminal illness.
(c) His songs had been misunderstood.
(d) No one had appreciated his music.
5. What does the neighbor boy do when Matsuda speaks to him?
(a) He comes into the house.
(b) He chats with Matsuda.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He comes into the yard.
6. What remains of Sugimura's planned Kawabe Park?
(a) Only the kabuki theater.
(b) Only the concert hall.
(c) Only the museum.
(d) Only the grass where the museums and theaters would have stood.
7. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
(a) A commission from the emperor.
(b) The Shigeta Foundation Award.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) A statue in his honor in the city park.
8. What does Ono believe should give Matsuda and him satisfaction as they review their lives?
(a) They supported a just cause.
(b) They acted in the best of faith.
(c) They were too young to be accountable.
(d) They followed honorable leaders.
9. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
(a) The belief that he had outlasted his enemies.
(b) The belief that Moriyama would be proud of him.
(c) The belief that he had accomplished something of real value.
(d) The belief that his work was much admired.
10. What does Ono want to say to Moriyama if they meet again?
(a) Ono had not had to illustrate comic books after all.
(b) Ono was grateful for Moriyama's help.
(c) Moriyama's assessment of his work had been correct.
(d) Moriyama's teaching had helped him immeasureably.
11. What did Ono feel was missing the night he won the award?
(a) A feeling of triumph and fulfillment.
(b) Kuroda's approval.
(c) His family.
(d) International recognition.
12. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
(a) Painting advertisements.
(b) Painting patriotic posters.
(c) Painting magazine illustrations.
(d) Painting houses.
13. What does Setsuko say in Kawabe Park that irritates Ono?
(a) That it would be appropriate for him to consider suicide.
(b) That everyone was surprised at his self-incrimination during the miai.
(c) That she is ashamed of his behavior.
(d) That he had embarrassed the family during the miai.
14. What does Ono say in Noriko's kitchen that upsets Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) That Ichiro should wait a few years for sake.
(b) That Ichiro should be taught better manners.
(c) That Ichiro should never drink sake.
(d) That Ichiro should have a taste of sake with dinner.
15. How does Moriyama respond to his students' comments about his painting?
(a) He expanded their points of view.
(b) He explained his intentions.
(c) He listened, but did not respond.
(d) He corrected their errors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
2. How does Ichiro try to be grown-up when he meets Ono in the park?
3. Who dies in June, 1950?
4. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
5. What does Ono say during his last conversation with Matsuda about his present-day perspective on life?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)