|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
(a) Ichiro might get drunk.
(b) His father might get drunk.
(c) His grandfather Ono might get drunk.
(d) His aunt Noriko might get drunk.
2. How does Ono evaluate Naguchi's suicide?
(a) Ono said Naguchi was very brave and honorable.
(b) Ono said the death was tragic and sad.
(c) Ono said the death was foolish and wasteful.
(d) Ono said the death was cowardly.
3. Why does Ichiro say spinach is his favorite food?
(a) Because Popeye says spinach makes him strong.
(b) Because his aunt Noriko says spinach will make him strong.
(c) Because his mother says spinach will make him strong.
(d) Because his father says spinach will make him strong.
4. Why does Matsuda think the two men should not blame themselves for their earlier actions?
(a) They were too young to understand forces around them.
(b) They were fooled by charlatans.
(c) They acted on their beliefs and did their utmost.
(d) Their actions had produced good results.
5. How does Ichiro try to be grown-up when he meets Ono in the park?
(a) He shakes hands instead of hugging him.
(b) He doesn't smile.
(c) He behaves calmly.
(d) He refuses to play.
6. What does Setsuko say in Kawabe Park that irritates Ono?
(a) That he had embarrassed the family during the miai.
(b) That everyone was surprised at his self-incrimination during the miai.
(c) That she is ashamed of his behavior.
(d) That it would be appropriate for him to consider suicide.
7. What had Ono completed the same week he received the award?
(a) His floating world water colors.
(b) The New Japan campaign.
(c) His paintings of fire engines.
(d) A commissioned portrait.
8. Why does the smell of burning make Ono uneasy?
(a) It reminds him of the burning of his house.
(b) It reminds him of bombings and fire.
(c) It reminds him of burned paintings.
(d) It frightens him that the fire will spread.
9. What remains of Sugimura's planned Kawabe Park?
(a) Only the museum.
(b) Only the grass where the museums and theaters would have stood.
(c) Only the kabuki theater.
(d) Only the concert hall.
10. What news does Ono give Matsuda about himself?
(a) He is considering marriage again.
(b) He has started painting again.
(c) He has taken up horticulture.
(d) He has stopped painting.
11. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
(a) Confronting Moriyama at his villa.
(b) When his family gave him a surprise party.
(c) Sitting on a hill all alone, eating oranges.
(d) Receiving the praise of his students.
12. Why is Ono surprised at Setsuko's view of Noriko's marriage negotiation?
(a) Because she had made a similar confession.
(b) Because he had salvaged the negotiations.
(c) Because she had been the one who suggested that he take steps to clarify his position.
(d) Because his declaration had a good result.
13. What does Noriko like about her apartment?
(a) It has a spectacular view of the city.
(b) It is Western and modern.
(c) It is spacious.
(d) It is very traditional.
14. Why doesn't Ono go to Moriyama's villa?
(a) The villa was closed.
(b) It seemed pointless.
(c) He fell asleep.
(d) The train was leaving.
15. What does Matsuda say the world sees when they look at Ono and Matsuda now that the war is behind them?
(a) Two traitors to their country.
(b) Two instigators of a war.
(c) Two failed imperialists.
(d) Two old men with sticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono feel about the future of Japan?
2. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
3. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
4. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
5. Why had Moriyama been happy with his work looking back on it as an old man?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)