|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
(a) Bombs are falling.
(b) A house is burning.
(c) Someone is barbecuing.
(d) A neighbor is clearing his garden.
2. Why does Ono believe that the Tortoise or Shintaro will never feel the sort of happiness he felt sitting on the hillside?
(a) They were not skilled enough craftsmen.
(b) They did not have the talent.
(c) They did not risk everything in an attempt to be extraordinary.
(d) They were prone to complain.
3. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
(a) Receiving the praise of his students.
(b) When his family gave him a surprise party.
(c) Confronting Moriyama at his villa.
(d) Sitting on a hill all alone, eating oranges.
4. How was Moriyama supporting himself after his painting was devalued and his school closed?
(a) Painting magazine illustrations.
(b) Painting patriotic posters.
(c) Painting advertisements.
(d) Painting houses.
5. What does Ono believe should give Matsuda and him satisfaction as they review their lives?
(a) They were too young to be accountable.
(b) They supported a just cause.
(c) They acted in the best of faith.
(d) They followed honorable leaders.
6. What happened to Moriyama after Ono left his school?
(a) His reputation had declined.
(b) His work was displayed at the palace.
(c) His reputation had spread.
(d) His work had been admired in Europe.
7. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) His songs had been misunderstood.
(b) He had a terminal illness.
(c) His songs had been used to promote war.
(d) No one had appreciated his music.
8. What news does Ono give Matsuda about himself?
(a) He has started painting again.
(b) He has stopped painting.
(c) He is considering marriage again.
(d) He has taken up horticulture.
9. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
(a) His grandfather Ono might get drunk.
(b) His father might get drunk.
(c) His aunt Noriko might get drunk.
(d) Ichiro might get drunk.
10. How long after their initial reconnection had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) A year.
(d) Two years.
11. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
(a) The belief that his work was much admired.
(b) The belief that he had outlasted his enemies.
(c) The belief that he had accomplished something of real value.
(d) The belief that Moriyama would be proud of him.
12. What does Ono say during lunch that frightens Ichiro?
(a) That he is like Naguchi.
(b) That he had the same problems Naguchi had.
(c) That he is not like Naguchi.
(d) That he disapproves of Naguchi's solution.
13. What qualities does Ono claim he shared with Matsuda when they were younger?
(a) Vision and hope.
(b) Energy and courage.
(c) Creativity and inspiration.
(d) Empathy and kindness.
14. When Ono and Matsuda examine their lives, what do they see, according to Matsuda?
(a) They were valiant.
(b) They were fascinating.
(c) They were flawless.
(d) They were flawed.
15. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) A year.
(d) A day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
2. How does Ono feel about the future of Japan?
3. How many students has Moriyama had at his villa?
4. What does Matsuda say the world sees when they look at Ono and Matsuda now that the war is behind them?
5. How does Setsuko think Saito felt about Ono?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)