|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A ghetto.
(b) A boomtown.
(c) A graveyard.
(d) A desert.
2. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) A samurai warrior.
(b) Roy Rogers.
(c) The Ninja of the wind.
(d) The Lone Ranger.
3. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(b) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(c) It was a tragic waste.
(d) It brought shame to his employees.
4. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
(a) Get up for breakfast.
(b) Stay awake for dinner.
(c) Remember to eat.
(d) Go to bed.
5. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
(a) She insists that he be invited to come along.
(b) She berates her sister for her rudeness.
(c) She decides to stay home with him.
(d) She cancels the trip to go to the cinema with him.
6. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(b) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(c) Failing to learn from them.
(d) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
7. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
(b) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
(c) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
(d) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
8. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
(a) Roy Rogers.
(b) Lord Yoshitsune.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) Gene Autry.
9. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
(a) He mopes.
(b) He wanders.
(c) He tyrannizes her.
(d) He is sociable.
10. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
(b) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
(c) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(d) That he had no talents.
11. Why is Ono angry with Shintaro?
(a) Ono thinks Shintaro should take responsibility for his past actions.
(b) Ono is insulted that Shintaro didn't ask for his help.
(c) Ono doesn't want to be used by Shintaro.
(d) Ono thinks a teaching position is beneath Shintaro.
12. What has changed in the city between 1948 and 1949?
(a) Bombed ruins are becoming scarce.
(b) The destruction has been worsened by vandalism.
(c) One or two buildings are under construction.
(d) Nothing has changed.
13. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
(b) The others had worse records than the Onos.
(c) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
(d) The investigation wouldn't take long.
14. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
(b) Because Ono admires his painting.
(c) Because he is unchanged by the war.
(d) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
15. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
(a) Watching customers come in.
(b) Remembering what a splendid district it had once been.
(c) Seeing her old friend Shintaro.
(d) Seeing her old friend Ono.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
2. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
3. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
4. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
5. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)