|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
(a) His time as Moriyama's student.
(b) His friendship with Ono.
(c) His creation of posters during the China crisis.
(d) His sloppier art work.
2. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(b) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(c) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(d) She thought it would cost them money.
3. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(b) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(c) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(d) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
4. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
(a) The reception room.
(b) The veranda.
(c) The long corridor.
(d) The kitchen.
5. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro would find a wife.
(b) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
(c) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
(d) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
6. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(b) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
(c) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
(d) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
7. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
(b) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
(c) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
(d) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
8. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
(a) The reception room.
(b) The well-lighted kitchen.
(c) The veranda.
(d) The long garden corridor.
9. What position is Shintaro applying for?
(a) Comic book illustrator.
(c) High school teacher.
(d) Graphic artist.
10. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(b) She becomes talkative and lively.
(c) She begins to relax.
(d) She abruptly leaves the table.
11. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
(b) It is skillfully designed.
(c) It reflects many cultures.
(d) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
12. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
(a) Verify that Shintaro had created the posters.
(b) Recommend his artwork.
(c) Verify that Shintaro had done the posters against his will.
(d) Claim that Ono had painted the posters.
13. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He has found a new job.
(c) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(d) He is leaving the city.
14. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
(a) He assures them that Kuroda would speak well of him.
(b) He praises Kuroda's work.
(c) He denies ever knowing Kuroda.
(d) He says that Kuroda would not have a high opinion of him.
15. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Failing to learn from them.
(b) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(c) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
(d) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has changed in the city between 1948 and 1949?
2. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
3. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
4. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
5. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)