|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) There were too many of them.
(b) He was too poor.
(c) He was not regarded as first rank.
(d) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
2. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
(b) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
(c) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(d) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
3. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
(a) Shy and innocent.
(b) Dignified and silent.
(c) Lively and intelligent.
(d) Quiet and respectful.
4. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A desert.
(b) A ghetto.
(c) A boomtown.
(d) A graveyard.
5. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
(a) They didn't want to be associated with Ono.
(b) They didn't want their son to marry such a headstrong girl.
(c) They were too poor to support the wedding.
(d) They were uncomfortable about their son marrying above his station.
6. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(b) Destroyed buildings.
(c) Anti-war slogans.
(d) Fire engines.
7. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
(a) First he is hostile, then openly welcoming.
(b) First he is welcoming, then embarrassed.
(c) First he is welcoming, then openly hostile.
(d) First he is hostile, then he becomes openly aggressive.
8. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
(a) He is not strong enough to lift the table.
(b) He should obey his mother.
(c) The movie might be too scary for young children.
(d) He should stay home with the women.
9. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
(a) Those made in ignorance.
(b) Those made against one's will.
(c) Those made in good faith.
(d) Those made in youth.
10. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
(b) A trip to the art museum.
(c) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
(d) She bought new games to play at home.
11. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
(a) He loaned him money.
(b) He wrote a letter of recommendation.
(c) He found him a wife.
(d) He hired him as an apprentice.
12. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(b) That he would build a room for her.
(c) That she could live with their family.
(d) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
13. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
(a) It is an embarrassing disaster.
(b) It is relaxed, no longer awkward.
(c) It is boring, so everyone leaves early.
(d) It is awkward, no longer relaxed.
14. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To fund remodeling of her business.
(b) To buy her out for a generous sum.
(c) To go into partnership with her.
(d) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
15. Why is Setsuko uncomfortable with Noriko's talk about Ono?
(a) She feels guilty for not helping.
(b) It is dishonest
(c) She feels guilty for causing discord.
(d) It is disrespectful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
2. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
3. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
4. Which of the sisters is older?
5. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)