|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(b) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(c) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(d) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
2. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
(a) The reception room.
(b) The long garden corridor.
(c) The well-lighted kitchen.
(d) The veranda.
3. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They are a sign of progress.
(b) They are ugly and too modern.
(c) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
(d) They are beautiful.
4. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
(a) Gene Autry.
(b) The Lone Ranger.
(c) Roy Rogers.
(d) Lord Yoshitsune.
5. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
(b) Noriko might become overconfident.
(c) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
(d) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
6. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(a) Theaters and restaurants.
(c) Geisha houses.
7. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Visit her new bar when it's built.
(b) Loan her money.
(c) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
(d) Bring all his friends to her bar.
8. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To impress his son's high school friends.
(b) To shorten the walk to town.
(c) To improve her social standing.
(d) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
9. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
(a) Because Japan lost the war.
(b) Because he is too old.
(c) Because he lost interest in art.
(d) Because he has lost his skill.
10. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
(b) The others had worse records than the Onos.
(c) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
(d) The investigation wouldn't take long.
11. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By drinking too much.
(b) By changing his painting style.
(c) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(d) By joking too loudly.
12. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
(b) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
(c) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
(d) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
13. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He's playing a game.
(b) He wants to stay with his mother.
(c) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(d) He says it's women's work.
14. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was a tragic waste.
(b) It brought shame to his employees.
(c) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(d) It was an embarrassment to the company.
15. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(c) Office buildings.
(d) More modern bars.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
2. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
3. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
4. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
5. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)