|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Destroyed buildings.
(b) Fire engines.
(c) Anti-war slogans.
2. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(b) He sent for plants from abroad.
(c) He grew his plants from seeds.
(d) He grew his plants from sprouts.
3. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) The construction workers are the only ones.
(b) Ono is the only one.
(c) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(d) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
4. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(b) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(c) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(d) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
5. Which of the sisters is older?
(a) They are twins.
(b) We are not told.
6. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(b) By threatening to send him to his room.
(c) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(d) By threatening him with a time out.
7. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is getting married.
(b) He is leaving the city.
(c) He has found a new job.
(d) He has applied for several teaching positions.
8. What does Ono like best about the house?
(a) It is prestigious.
(b) It suffered no damage during the war.
(c) It is conducive to relaxation and calm.
(d) It is visually exciting.
9. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It reflects many cultures.
(b) It is skillfully designed.
(c) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(d) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
10. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(d) They've gone too far.
11. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
(a) He burned them.
(b) He sold them.
(c) He took them to an appraiser.
(d) He took them to a teacher.
12. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
(a) By insulting her father.
(b) By disparaging their house.
(c) By acting as if the marriage negotiations were settled.
(d) By implying that she would never marry.
13. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
(a) His parents hired a tutor for him.
(b) His parents took him to a cowboy movie.
(c) His parents were studying English.
(d) His parents bought him an audiotape.
14. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Bring all his friends to her bar.
(b) Loan her money.
(c) Visit her new bar when it's built.
(d) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
15. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
(a) Ono could support the endeavor.
(b) Ono is her last dependable customer.
(c) Ono is shrewd about business matters.
(d) Ono is her only friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
2. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
3. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
4. Why did Ono as a young boy dread his father's business meetings?
5. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)