|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the sisters is older?
(a) They are twins.
(c) We are not told.
2. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) She bought new games to play at home.
(b) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
(c) A trip to the art museum.
(d) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
3. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
(a) Why does Setsuko visit her family so often?
(b) Why did Noriko's marriage negotiations fail?
(c) Why hasn't the house been repaired?
(d) Why is Ichiro so ill-mannered?
4. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Noisy and disrespectful.
(b) Boastful and rude.
(c) Quiet and shy.
(d) Lively and intelligent.
5. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(b) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(c) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(d) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
6. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(b) They've gone too far.
(c) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(d) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
7. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(b) It was a tragic waste.
(c) It brought shame to his employees.
(d) It was an embarrassment to the company.
8. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
(b) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
(c) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
(d) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
9. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
(b) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
(c) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
(d) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
10. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would build a room for her.
(b) That she could live with their family.
(c) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(d) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
11. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
(a) Quiet and respectful.
(b) Lively and intelligent.
(c) Dignified and silent.
(d) Shy and innocent.
12. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
(a) By implying that she would never marry.
(b) By acting as if the marriage negotiations were settled.
(c) By insulting her father.
(d) By disparaging their house.
13. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To buy her out for a generous sum.
(b) To go into partnership with her.
(c) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
(d) To fund remodeling of her business.
14. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
(a) He burned them.
(b) He took them to an appraiser.
(c) He sold them.
(d) He took them to a teacher.
15. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) Ono will pray for its return.
(b) It may yet return.
(c) It would be better if it returned.
(d) It is just as well that it will not return.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
2. How does Ono view Shintaro's childlike attitude about the war?
3. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
4. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
5. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)