|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono promise Ichiro as a reward for drawing a picture?
(a) He would buy him art supplies.
(b) They would go see the monster movie.
(c) He would bring him dessert.
(d) He would take him to the zoo.
2. Why did Ono as a young boy dread his father's business meetings?
(a) He was being punished.
(b) He hated his father.
(c) He couldn't understand what his father said.
(d) The incense in the room made it hard to breathe.
3. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
(b) There were too many of them.
(c) He was not regarded as first rank.
(d) He was too poor.
4. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Quaint and charming.
(b) Shabby and out of place.
(c) Homelike and appealing.
(d) Traditional and historic.
5. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) That Ono was not keeping up with changing times.
(b) That Ono did not appreciate his students' progress.
(c) That Ono was not the painter he used to be.
(d) That Ono was unaware of his own great reputation.
6. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
(b) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
(c) A trip to the art museum.
(d) She bought new games to play at home.
7. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
8. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
(c) Artists and writers.
(d) Lowlife thugs.
9. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is leaving the city.
(b) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) He has found a new job.
10. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She abruptly leaves the table.
(b) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(c) She becomes talkative and lively.
(d) She begins to relax.
11. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
(b) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
(c) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(d) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
12. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
(a) Verify that Shintaro had created the posters.
(b) Recommend his artwork.
(c) Claim that Ono had painted the posters.
(d) Verify that Shintaro had done the posters against his will.
13. How does Ono view Shintaro's childlike attitude about the war?
(a) Ono sees Shintaro as cleverly pretending to be ignorant.
(b) Ono hopes his friend will return to him.
(c) Ono sees Shintaro as unaccountable for his actions.
(d) Ono sees Shintaro as permanently damaged by the war.
14. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(b) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(c) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(d) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
15. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(b) Ono is the only one.
(c) The construction workers are the only ones.
(d) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
2. Why is Setsuko uncomfortable with Noriko's talk about Ono?
3. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
4. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
5. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)