|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(c) More modern bars.
(d) Office buildings.
2. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
(b) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(c) The construction workers are the only ones.
(d) Ono is the only one.
3. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(b) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(c) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(d) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
4. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) His service as an artist was more important.
(b) He was his family's only support.
(c) He had a bad leg.
(d) He was mentally defective.
5. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(b) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
(c) Failing to learn from them.
(d) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
6. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
(a) They had an auction of prestige.
(b) They sold to the highest bidder.
(c) They selected the first to make an offer.
(d) They selected a relative.
7. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
(b) To fund remodeling of her business.
(c) To go into partnership with her.
(d) To buy her out for a generous sum.
8. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Bring all his friends to her bar.
(b) Visit her new bar when it's built.
(c) Loan her money.
(d) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
9. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
(a) He wrote a letter of recommendation.
(b) He hired him as an apprentice.
(c) He found him a wife.
(d) He loaned him money.
10. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
(a) He mopes.
(b) He wanders.
(c) He tyrannizes her.
(d) He is sociable.
11. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
(a) His parents were studying English.
(b) His parents took him to a cowboy movie.
(c) His parents hired a tutor for him.
(d) His parents bought him an audiotape.
12. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That he had no talents.
(b) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(c) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
(d) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
13. What does Ono like best about the house?
(a) It is prestigious.
(b) It is conducive to relaxation and calm.
(c) It suffered no damage during the war.
(d) It is visually exciting.
14. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The reception room.
(c) The well-lighted kitchen.
(d) The long garden corridor.
15. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Anti-war slogans.
(c) Destroyed buildings.
(d) Fire engines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
2. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
3. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
4. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
5. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)