|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She begins to relax.
(b) She becomes talkative and lively.
(c) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(d) She abruptly leaves the table.
2. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
(a) Recommend his artwork.
(b) Claim that Ono had painted the posters.
(c) Verify that Shintaro had done the posters against his will.
(d) Verify that Shintaro had created the posters.
3. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
(a) He wonders if Metsuo would make a good son-in-law.
(b) Metsuo is unusually handsome.
(c) Ono is worried that Metsuo was in love with Noriko.
(d) He thinks Metsuo does not hide his feelings.
4. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
5. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
(a) He laughs at her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He obeys her.
(d) He ignores her.
6. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(b) That she could live with their family.
(c) That he would build a room for her.
(d) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
7. What position is Shintaro applying for?
(a) Comic book illustrator.
(b) High school teacher.
(c) Graphic artist.
8. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) His service as an artist was more important.
(b) He was his family's only support.
(c) He had a bad leg.
(d) He was mentally defective.
9. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
(b) Noriko might become overconfident.
(c) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
(d) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
10. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) They've gone too far.
(b) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(c) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(d) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
11. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
(a) He is not strong enough to lift the table.
(b) He should obey his mother.
(c) He should stay home with the women.
(d) The movie might be too scary for young children.
12. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
(a) Then she was friendly; now she is rude.
(b) Then she was shy; now she is relaxed and casual.
(c) Then she was heartbroken; now she is happy.
(d) Then she was relaxed and casual; now she is shy.
13. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(b) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(c) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(d) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
14. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(b) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(c) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(d) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
15. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought it would cost them money.
(b) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(c) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(d) She thought her secret would be discovered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
2. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
3. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
4. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
5. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)