|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They are a sign of progress.
(b) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
(c) They are beautiful.
(d) They are ugly and too modern.
2. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
(b) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
(c) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
(d) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
3. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The reception room.
(d) The long corridor.
4. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(b) To impress his son's high school friends.
(c) To improve her social standing.
(d) To shorten the walk to town.
5. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
(a) He took them to an appraiser.
(b) He sold them.
(c) He took them to a teacher.
(d) He burned them.
6. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Homelike and appealing.
(b) Shabby and out of place.
(c) Quaint and charming.
(d) Traditional and historic.
7. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It brought shame to his employees.
(b) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(c) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(d) It was a tragic waste.
8. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
(a) Those made against one's will.
(b) Those made in youth.
(c) Those made in ignorance.
(d) Those made in good faith.
9. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
(a) It is awkward, no longer relaxed.
(b) It is boring, so everyone leaves early.
(c) It is relaxed, no longer awkward.
(d) It is an embarrassing disaster.
10. Which of the sisters is older?
(c) They are twins.
(d) We are not told.
11. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
(a) Artists and writers.
(d) Lowlife thugs.
12. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
(a) He assures them that Kuroda would speak well of him.
(b) He denies ever knowing Kuroda.
(c) He says that Kuroda would not have a high opinion of him.
(d) He praises Kuroda's work.
13. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
(a) Quiet and respectful.
(b) Shy and innocent.
(c) Lively and intelligent.
(d) Dignified and silent.
14. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
(a) Ono is her last dependable customer.
(b) Ono is her only friend.
(c) Ono could support the endeavor.
(d) Ono is shrewd about business matters.
15. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) A samurai warrior.
(b) The Ninja of the wind.
(c) Roy Rogers.
(d) The Lone Ranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
2. What position is Shintaro applying for?
3. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
4. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
5. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)