|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
(b) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
(c) Because he is unchanged by the war.
(d) Because Ono admires his painting.
2. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Anti-war slogans.
(b) Fire engines.
(d) Destroyed buildings.
3. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
(a) Noriko's respect.
(b) Taro's admiration.
(c) A good marriage for his daughter.
(d) Satisfaction and dignity.
4. What is a miai?
(a) An engagement party.
(b) A business meeting.
(c) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(d) A wedding reception.
5. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(b) That he had no talents.
(c) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
(d) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
6. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
(a) Because he lost interest in art.
(b) Because Japan lost the war.
(c) Because he is too old.
(d) Because he has lost his skill.
7. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was a tragic waste.
(b) It brought shame to his employees.
(c) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(d) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
8. What has changed in the city between 1948 and 1949?
(a) Bombed ruins are becoming scarce.
(b) The destruction has been worsened by vandalism.
(c) Nothing has changed.
(d) One or two buildings are under construction.
9. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's messy.
(b) He's unusually intelligent.
(c) He's headstrong.
(d) He's precocious.
10. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
(a) The long garden corridor.
(b) The well-lighted kitchen.
(c) The reception room.
(d) The veranda.
11. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
(b) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
(c) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
(d) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
12. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
(a) Stay awake for dinner.
(b) Remember to eat.
(c) Get up for breakfast.
(d) Go to bed.
13. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It may yet return.
(b) Ono will pray for its return.
(c) It is just as well that it will not return.
(d) It would be better if it returned.
14. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
(b) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
(c) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
(d) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
15. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He says it's women's work.
(b) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(c) He wants to stay with his mother.
(d) He's playing a game.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
2. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
3. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
4. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
5. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)