|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
2. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
(a) He assures them that Kuroda would speak well of him.
(b) He denies ever knowing Kuroda.
(c) He says that Kuroda would not have a high opinion of him.
(d) He praises Kuroda's work.
3. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) His service as an artist was more important.
(b) He was his family's only support.
(c) He was mentally defective.
(d) He had a bad leg.
4. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Loan her money.
(b) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
(c) Bring all his friends to her bar.
(d) Visit her new bar when it's built.
5. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
(b) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
(c) The investigation wouldn't take long.
(d) The others had worse records than the Onos.
6. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) There were too many of them.
(b) He was too poor.
(c) He was not regarded as first rank.
(d) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
7. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
(b) That he had no talents.
(c) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(d) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
8. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Destroyed buildings.
(b) Anti-war slogans.
(d) Fire engines.
9. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
(a) He sold them.
(b) He burned them.
(c) He took them to an appraiser.
(d) He took them to a teacher.
10. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
(a) He doted on them.
(b) He ignored them.
(c) He spoiled them.
(d) He was a tyrant.
11. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She becomes talkative and lively.
(b) She abruptly leaves the table.
(c) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(d) She begins to relax.
12. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(b) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(c) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(d) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
13. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(b) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(c) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(d) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
14. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
(a) They didn't want to be associated with Ono.
(b) They didn't want their son to marry such a headstrong girl.
(c) They were too poor to support the wedding.
(d) They were uncomfortable about their son marrying above his station.
15. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
(b) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
(c) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
(d) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
2. What is a miai?
3. What does Ono like about the garden?
4. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
5. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)