|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
(a) Seeing her old friend Shintaro.
(b) Watching customers come in.
(c) Remembering what a splendid district it had once been.
(d) Seeing her old friend Ono.
2. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) A samurai warrior.
(b) Roy Rogers.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) The Ninja of the wind.
3. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
(a) Why does Setsuko visit her family so often?
(b) Why is Ichiro so ill-mannered?
(c) Why hasn't the house been repaired?
(d) Why did Noriko's marriage negotiations fail?
4. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A boomtown.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A desert.
(d) A ghetto.
5. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
(b) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
(c) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(d) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
6. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) The construction workers are the only ones.
(b) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(c) Ono is the only one.
(d) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
7. What is a miai?
(a) An engagement party.
(b) A wedding reception.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
8. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
(a) Artists are dishonest.
(b) Their poverty makes artists weak-willed and depraved.
(c) Their wealth makes artists disrespectful of others.
(d) Art is useless in the world.
9. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
(a) Those made in ignorance.
(b) Those made against one's will.
(c) Those made in good faith.
(d) Those made in youth.
10. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He grew his plants from sprouts.
(b) He sent for plants from abroad.
(c) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(d) He grew his plants from seeds.
11. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
(a) Metsuo is unusually handsome.
(b) He thinks Metsuo does not hide his feelings.
(c) Ono is worried that Metsuo was in love with Noriko.
(d) He wonders if Metsuo would make a good son-in-law.
12. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(b) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(c) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(d) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
13. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(b) She thought it would cost them money.
(c) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(d) She thought her secret would be discovered.
14. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
(a) Remember to eat.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Stay awake for dinner.
(d) Get up for breakfast.
15. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He laughs at her.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He obeys her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
2. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
3. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
4. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
5. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)