|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(b) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(c) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(d) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
2. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That she could live with their family.
(b) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(c) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(d) That he would build a room for her.
3. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
(a) His creation of posters during the China crisis.
(b) His friendship with Ono.
(c) His time as Moriyama's student.
(d) His sloppier art work.
4. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(b) He sent for plants from abroad.
(c) He grew his plants from seeds.
(d) He grew his plants from sprouts.
5. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) Ono is the only one.
(b) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
(c) The construction workers are the only ones.
(d) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
6. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's precocious.
(b) He's unusually intelligent.
(c) He's messy.
(d) He's headstrong.
7. Which of the sisters is older?
(a) We are not told.
(b) They are twins.
8. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
(a) First he is welcoming, then embarrassed.
(b) First he is hostile, then openly welcoming.
(c) First he is welcoming, then openly hostile.
(d) First he is hostile, then he becomes openly aggressive.
9. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
(a) He should obey his mother.
(b) He is not strong enough to lift the table.
(c) The movie might be too scary for young children.
(d) He should stay home with the women.
10. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
(a) Shy and innocent.
(b) Dignified and silent.
(c) Quiet and respectful.
(d) Lively and intelligent.
11. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) They've gone too far.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(d) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
12. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
13. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To impress his son's high school friends.
(b) To improve her social standing.
(c) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(d) To shorten the walk to town.
14. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A boomtown.
(b) A desert.
(c) A ghetto.
(d) A graveyard.
15. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
(b) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(c) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
(d) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
2. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
3. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
4. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
5. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)