|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
(b) That he had no talents.
(c) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(d) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
2. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By threatening to send him to his room.
(b) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(c) By threatening him with a time out.
(d) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
3. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(b) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(c) It was a tragic waste.
(d) It brought shame to his employees.
4. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's precocious.
(b) He's messy.
(c) He's unusually intelligent.
(d) He's headstrong.
5. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
(a) By acting as if the marriage negotiations were settled.
(b) By insulting her father.
(c) By implying that she would never marry.
(d) By disparaging their house.
6. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A desert.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A ghetto.
(d) A boomtown.
7. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
(a) It is an embarrassing disaster.
(b) It is awkward, no longer relaxed.
(c) It is relaxed, no longer awkward.
(d) It is boring, so everyone leaves early.
8. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
(a) He praises Kuroda's work.
(b) He assures them that Kuroda would speak well of him.
(c) He denies ever knowing Kuroda.
(d) He says that Kuroda would not have a high opinion of him.
9. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(b) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
(c) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
(d) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
10. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
(b) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
(c) If Shintaro would find a wife.
(d) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
11. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Failing to learn from them.
(b) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(c) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(d) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
12. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) That Ono did not appreciate his students' progress.
(b) That Ono was not the painter he used to be.
(c) That Ono was not keeping up with changing times.
(d) That Ono was unaware of his own great reputation.
13. Why is Ono angry with Shintaro?
(a) Ono is insulted that Shintaro didn't ask for his help.
(b) Ono thinks a teaching position is beneath Shintaro.
(c) Ono thinks Shintaro should take responsibility for his past actions.
(d) Ono doesn't want to be used by Shintaro.
14. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That she could live with their family.
(b) That he would build a room for her.
(c) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(d) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
15. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
(a) The long corridor.
(b) The reception room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The veranda.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
2. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
3. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
4. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
5. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)