|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Visit her new bar when it's built.
(b) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
(c) Loan her money.
(d) Bring all his friends to her bar.
2. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(b) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(c) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(d) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
3. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
(b) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
(c) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
(d) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
4. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To fund remodeling of her business.
(b) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
(c) To go into partnership with her.
(d) To buy her out for a generous sum.
5. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
(b) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(c) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
(d) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
6. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They are beautiful.
(b) They are ugly and too modern.
(c) They are a sign of progress.
(d) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
7. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
(a) Quiet and respectful.
(b) Shy and innocent.
(c) Dignified and silent.
(d) Lively and intelligent.
8. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
(a) His parents took him to a cowboy movie.
(b) His parents were studying English.
(c) His parents hired a tutor for him.
(d) His parents bought him an audiotape.
9. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Fire engines.
(b) Destroyed buildings.
(c) Anti-war slogans.
10. What is a miai?
(a) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(b) An engagement party.
(c) A wedding reception.
(d) A business meeting.
11. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He sent for plants from abroad.
(b) He grew his plants from seeds.
(c) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(d) He grew his plants from sprouts.
12. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
(a) Then she was relaxed and casual; now she is shy.
(b) Then she was friendly; now she is rude.
(c) Then she was heartbroken; now she is happy.
(d) Then she was shy; now she is relaxed and casual.
13. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(b) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(c) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(d) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
14. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
(a) She berates her sister for her rudeness.
(b) She insists that he be invited to come along.
(c) She decides to stay home with him.
(d) She cancels the trip to go to the cinema with him.
15. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
(b) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
(c) Noriko might become overconfident.
(d) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
2. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
3. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
4. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
5. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)