|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It would be better if it returned.
(b) Ono will pray for its return.
(c) It may yet return.
(d) It is just as well that it will not return.
2. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
(a) First he is hostile, then he becomes openly aggressive.
(b) First he is welcoming, then openly hostile.
(c) First he is hostile, then openly welcoming.
(d) First he is welcoming, then embarrassed.
3. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's unusually intelligent.
(b) He's headstrong.
(c) He's precocious.
(d) He's messy.
4. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
(a) His parents took him to a cowboy movie.
(b) His parents hired a tutor for him.
(c) His parents were studying English.
(d) His parents bought him an audiotape.
5. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(a) Theaters and restaurants.
(d) Geisha houses.
6. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(b) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(c) By threatening to send him to his room.
(d) By threatening him with a time out.
7. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
(a) She insists that he be invited to come along.
(b) She cancels the trip to go to the cinema with him.
(c) She berates her sister for her rudeness.
(d) She decides to stay home with him.
8. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
(a) That he was headstrong and stubborn.
(b) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward slothfulness and deceit.
(c) That he had no talents.
(d) That his weak streak gave him a tendency toward disrespect and disobedience.
9. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
(b) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
(c) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
(d) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
10. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would build a room for her.
(b) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(c) That she could live with their family.
(d) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
11. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He grew his plants from seeds.
(b) He grew his plants from sprouts.
(c) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(d) He sent for plants from abroad.
12. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
(a) Trying to stop the war effort.
(b) Ignoring the war effort.
(c) Encouraging the war effort.
(d) Refusing to participate in the war effort.
13. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(b) She begins to relax.
(c) She abruptly leaves the table.
(d) She becomes talkative and lively.
14. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) That Ono was not keeping up with changing times.
(b) That Ono was not the painter he used to be.
(c) That Ono did not appreciate his students' progress.
(d) That Ono was unaware of his own great reputation.
15. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(b) Anti-war slogans.
(c) Fire engines.
(d) Destroyed buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
2. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
3. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
4. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
5. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)