Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position is Shintaro applying for?
(a) Graphic artist.
(c) Comic book illustrator.
(d) High school teacher.
2. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He has found a new job.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(d) He is leaving the city.
3. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(b) Ono is the only one.
(c) The construction workers are the only ones.
(d) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
4. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
(a) Ichiro invented his own language.
(b) Ichiro mumbled.
(c) Ichiro was speaking English.
(d) Ichiro was speaking German.
5. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
(b) The investigation wouldn't take long.
(c) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
(d) The others had worse records than the Onos.
6. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's improved the house alone.
(b) He's learning to speak English.
(c) He's learning to cook.
(d) He's modernized his painting style.
7. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To improve her social standing.
(b) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(c) To shorten the walk to town.
(d) To impress his son's high school friends.
8. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
(a) Ignoring the war effort.
(b) Encouraging the war effort.
(c) Trying to stop the war effort.
(d) Refusing to participate in the war effort.
9. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By changing his painting style.
(b) By drinking too much.
(c) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(d) By joking too loudly.
10. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
(a) Satisfaction and dignity.
(b) A good marriage for his daughter.
(c) Noriko's respect.
(d) Taro's admiration.
11. What is a miai?
(a) A wedding reception.
(b) An engagement party.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
12. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's precocious.
(b) He's messy.
(c) He's headstrong.
(d) He's unusually intelligent.
13. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) He was not regarded as first rank.
(b) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
(c) He was too poor.
(d) There were too many of them.
14. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
(a) Art is useless in the world.
(b) Their poverty makes artists weak-willed and depraved.
(c) Their wealth makes artists disrespectful of others.
(d) Artists are dishonest.
15. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
(a) Accept the builders' offer to buy her place.
(b) Refuse to sell her place.
(c) Stand and fight for her place.
(d) Hold out for a higher offer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Noriko say Ono used to treat them?
2. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
3. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
4. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
5. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)