|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
(a) The Ninja of the wind.
(b) The Lone Ranger.
(c) A samurai warrior.
(d) Roy Rogers.
2. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(b) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(c) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(d) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
3. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He grew his plants from seeds.
(b) He grew his plants from sprouts.
(c) He sent for plants from abroad.
(d) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
4. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It reflects many cultures.
(b) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
(c) It is skillfully designed.
(d) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
5. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
(a) The others had worse records than the Onos.
(b) Records of any wrongdoing had been destroyed.
(c) The investigation wouldn't take long.
(d) Such investigations would be done for their daughters' marriage negotiations.
6. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
(b) A trip to the art museum.
(c) She bought new games to play at home.
(d) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
7. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(b) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(c) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(d) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
8. How does Mr. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(b) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(c) They've gone too far.
(d) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
9. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She abruptly leaves the table.
(b) She begins to relax.
(c) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(d) She becomes talkative and lively.
10. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
(a) He hired him as an apprentice.
(b) He loaned him money.
(c) He found him a wife.
(d) He wrote a letter of recommendation.
11. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
(a) He obeys her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He laughs at her.
(d) He kisses her.
12. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
(a) They sold to the highest bidder.
(b) They selected a relative.
(c) They selected the first to make an offer.
(d) They had an auction of prestige.
13. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
(b) Because he is unchanged by the war.
(c) Because Ono admires his painting.
(d) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
14. Which of the sisters is older?
(a) We are not told.
(c) They are twins.
15. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(b) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(c) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(d) She thought it would cost them money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
2. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
3. Why did Ono as a young boy dread his father's business meetings?
4. Why is Setsuko uncomfortable with Noriko's talk about Ono?
5. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)