|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
(a) Artists and writers.
(d) Lowlife thugs.
2. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(b) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(c) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(d) Both girls are shy and retiring.
3. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It reflects many cultures.
(b) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
(c) It is skillfully designed.
(d) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
4. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
(b) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
(c) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
(d) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
5. Why is Setsuko uncomfortable with Noriko's talk about Ono?
(a) She feels guilty for not helping.
(b) She feels guilty for causing discord.
(c) It is dishonest
(d) It is disrespectful.
6. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Boastful and rude.
(b) Noisy and disrespectful.
(c) Quiet and shy.
(d) Lively and intelligent.
7. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
(a) Seeing her old friend Shintaro.
(b) Remembering what a splendid district it had once been.
(c) Seeing her old friend Ono.
(d) Watching customers come in.
8. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To buy her out for a generous sum.
(b) To go into partnership with her.
(c) To fund remodeling of her business.
(d) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
9. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
(a) Then she was shy; now she is relaxed and casual.
(b) Then she was friendly; now she is rude.
(c) Then she was relaxed and casual; now she is shy.
(d) Then she was heartbroken; now she is happy.
10. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
(a) Why does Setsuko visit her family so often?
(b) Why is Ichiro so ill-mannered?
(c) Why did Noriko's marriage negotiations fail?
(d) Why hasn't the house been repaired?
11. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He's playing a game.
(b) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(c) He says it's women's work.
(d) He wants to stay with his mother.
12. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) There were too many of them.
(b) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
(c) He was not regarded as first rank.
(d) He was too poor.
13. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
(a) They didn't want to be associated with Ono.
(b) They were uncomfortable about their son marrying above his station.
(c) They didn't want their son to marry such a headstrong girl.
(d) They were too poor to support the wedding.
14. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
(b) Because he is unchanged by the war.
(c) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
(d) Because Ono admires his painting.
15. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) He was his family's only support.
(b) He was mentally defective.
(c) His service as an artist was more important.
(d) He had a bad leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
2. What is a miai?
3. How does Ono react when he learns that Mitsuo attends school where Kuroda teaches?
4. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
5. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)