|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
(a) Taro's admiration.
(b) Satisfaction and dignity.
(c) Noriko's respect.
(d) A good marriage for his daughter.
2. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's messy.
(b) He's headstrong.
(c) He's unusually intelligent.
(d) He's precocious.
3. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
(a) American heroes.
(b) Samurai warriors.
(c) Japanese heroes.
(d) Ninja fighters.
4. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
(a) Metsuo is unusually handsome.
(b) He wonders if Metsuo would make a good son-in-law.
(c) Ono is worried that Metsuo was in love with Noriko.
(d) He thinks Metsuo does not hide his feelings.
5. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To go into partnership with her.
(b) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
(c) To fund remodeling of her business.
(d) To buy her out for a generous sum.
6. According to rumor, how did Sugimura assemble his garden?
(a) He bought plants fully grown from others' gardens.
(b) He grew his plants from sprouts.
(c) He grew his plants from seeds.
(d) He sent for plants from abroad.
7. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
(b) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
(c) Noriko might become overconfident.
(d) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
8. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
(a) He agrees that Ono has caused great harm to their society.
(b) He argues that artists had no part in the destruction.
(c) He assures Ono that he is too hard on himself.
(d) He is shocked and leaves the room abruptly.
9. What does Ono like best about the house?
(a) It is conducive to relaxation and calm.
(b) It is visually exciting.
(c) It suffered no damage during the war.
(d) It is prestigious.
10. What does Ono promise Ichiro as a reward for drawing a picture?
(a) He would bring him dessert.
(b) He would take him to the zoo.
(c) They would go see the monster movie.
(d) He would buy him art supplies.
11. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
12. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He wants to stay with his mother.
(b) He says it's women's work.
(c) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(d) He's playing a game.
13. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because he is unchanged by the war.
(b) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
(c) Because Ono admires his painting.
(d) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
14. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(b) Office buildings.
(c) More modern bars.
15. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
2. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
3. How does Ono perceive Shintaro's nature now that his old friend no longer comes to Mrs. Kawakami's?
4. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
5. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)