|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It is just as well that it will not return.
(b) Ono will pray for its return.
(c) It may yet return.
(d) It would be better if it returned.
2. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
(b) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
(c) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
(d) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
3. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) She bought new games to play at home.
(b) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
(c) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
(d) A trip to the art museum.
4. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By changing his painting style.
(b) By drinking too much.
(c) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(d) By joking too loudly.
5. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
(a) She cancels the trip to go to the cinema with him.
(b) She decides to stay home with him.
(c) She insists that he be invited to come along.
(d) She berates her sister for her rudeness.
6. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Ono admires his painting.
(b) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
(c) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
(d) Because he is unchanged by the war.
7. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(b) That he would build a room for her.
(c) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(d) That she could live with their family.
8. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
(a) Refuse to sell her place.
(b) Accept the builders' offer to buy her place.
(c) Hold out for a higher offer.
(d) Stand and fight for her place.
9. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
(a) Then she was shy; now she is relaxed and casual.
(b) Then she was heartbroken; now she is happy.
(c) Then she was friendly; now she is rude.
(d) Then she was relaxed and casual; now she is shy.
10. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(c) Geisha houses.
(d) Theaters and restaurants.
11. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(b) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(c) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(d) She thought it would cost them money.
12. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
(a) By calling her ugly.
(b) By calling her a boy.
(c) By beating her at games.
(d) By making fun of her awkwardness.
13. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
(b) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(c) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(d) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
14. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
(b) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
(c) Failing to learn from them.
(d) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
15. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
(b) He was too poor.
(c) He was not regarded as first rank.
(d) There were too many of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
2. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
3. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
4. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
5. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)