|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ono as a young boy dread his father's business meetings?
(a) The incense in the room made it hard to breathe.
(b) He couldn't understand what his father said.
(c) He hated his father.
(d) He was being punished.
2. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
(a) He found him a wife.
(b) He hired him as an apprentice.
(c) He loaned him money.
(d) He wrote a letter of recommendation.
3. What is going in on both sides of Mrs. Kawakami's establishment?
(a) More modern bars.
(c) Office buildings.
4. What is a miai?
(a) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(b) A business meeting.
(c) A wedding reception.
(d) An engagement party.
5. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
(a) He should obey his mother.
(b) The movie might be too scary for young children.
(c) He is not strong enough to lift the table.
(d) He should stay home with the women.
6. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
(b) By joking too loudly.
(c) By drinking too much.
(d) By changing his painting style.
7. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(b) The construction workers are the only ones.
(c) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
(d) Ono is the only one.
8. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
(a) Those made against one's will.
(b) Those made in ignorance.
(c) Those made in good faith.
(d) Those made in youth.
9. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
(a) Verify that Shintaro had done the posters against his will.
(b) Claim that Ono had painted the posters.
(c) Recommend his artwork.
(d) Verify that Shintaro had created the posters.
10. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
(a) Because Shintaro has a subtle sense of humor.
(b) Because he is unchanged by the war.
(c) Because Ono admires his painting.
(d) Because Shintaro is perceptive about politics.
11. What does Ono like best about the house?
(a) It is visually exciting.
(b) It suffered no damage during the war.
(c) It is prestigious.
(d) It is conducive to relaxation and calm.
12. How does Ono want Noriko to appear during the miai?
(a) Shy and innocent.
(b) Dignified and silent.
(c) Quiet and respectful.
(d) Lively and intelligent.
13. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By threatening to send him to his room.
(b) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(c) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(d) By threatening him with a time out.
14. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
(b) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
(c) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
(d) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
15. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
(a) Roy Rogers.
(b) Gene Autry.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) Lord Yoshitsune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
2. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
3. Why isn't Ono able to understand Ichiro's imaginary talk?
4. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
5. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)