|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By drinking too much.
(b) By changing his painting style.
(c) By joking too loudly.
(d) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
2. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That she could live with their family.
(b) That he would build a room for her.
(c) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(d) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
3. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He obeys her.
(d) He laughs at her.
4. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
(a) Accept the builders' offer to buy her place.
(b) Hold out for a higher offer.
(c) Refuse to sell her place.
(d) Stand and fight for her place.
5. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
(a) It is relaxed, no longer awkward.
(b) It is boring, so everyone leaves early.
(c) It is awkward, no longer relaxed.
(d) It is an embarrassing disaster.
6. What is the difference between Noriko's behavior at her first miai and her behavior at this one?
(a) Then she was shy; now she is relaxed and casual.
(b) Then she was friendly; now she is rude.
(c) Then she was heartbroken; now she is happy.
(d) Then she was relaxed and casual; now she is shy.
7. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
(a) They sold to the highest bidder.
(b) They selected the first to make an offer.
(c) They had an auction of prestige.
(d) They selected a relative.
8. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) Ono is the only one.
(b) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
(c) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
(d) The construction workers are the only ones.
9. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) He was too poor.
(b) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
(c) He was not regarded as first rank.
(d) There were too many of them.
10. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) Ono will pray for its return.
(b) It is just as well that it will not return.
(c) It may yet return.
(d) It would be better if it returned.
11. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Lively and intelligent.
(b) Quiet and shy.
(c) Noisy and disrespectful.
(d) Boastful and rude.
12. What does Ono promise Ichiro as a reward for drawing a picture?
(a) He would take him to the zoo.
(b) He would buy him art supplies.
(c) He would bring him dessert.
(d) They would go see the monster movie.
13. What does Shintaro want to disclaim?
(a) His time as Moriyama's student.
(b) His friendship with Ono.
(c) His sloppier art work.
(d) His creation of posters during the China crisis.
14. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
(a) The well-lighted kitchen.
(b) The veranda.
(c) The long garden corridor.
(d) The reception room.
15. Where has Ichiro heard English spoken?
(a) His parents bought him an audiotape.
(b) His parents were studying English.
(c) His parents took him to a cowboy movie.
(d) His parents hired a tutor for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
2. Why does Ono enjoy Shintaro's company?
3. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
4. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
5. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)