|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
(a) He should obey his mother.
(b) He is not strong enough to lift the table.
(c) He should stay home with the women.
(d) The movie might be too scary for young children.
2. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(b) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
(c) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(d) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
3. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
(a) He thinks Metsuo does not hide his feelings.
(b) Ono is worried that Metsuo was in love with Noriko.
(c) He wonders if Metsuo would make a good son-in-law.
(d) Metsuo is unusually handsome.
4. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's learning to cook.
(b) He's improved the house alone.
(c) He's modernized his painting style.
(d) He's learning to speak English.
5. What does the corporation offer Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) To buy her out for a generous sum.
(b) To fund an expansion into the adjoining buildings.
(c) To fund remodeling of her business.
(d) To go into partnership with her.
6. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
(b) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
(c) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
(d) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
7. What does Noriko say her father could not do without her?
(a) Stay awake for dinner.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Remember to eat.
(d) Get up for breakfast.
8. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
(a) He tyrannizes her.
(b) He mopes.
(c) He is sociable.
(d) He wanders.
9. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two weeks.
10. What is a miai?
(a) A business meeting.
(b) A wedding reception.
(c) An engagement party.
(d) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
11. How many regular customers does Mrs. Kawakami have now that the war is over?
(a) The construction workers are the only ones.
(b) Ono is the only one.
(c) Ono and his old group of students are the only ones.
(d) Ono and Shintaro are the only ones.
12. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By threatening to send him to his room.
(b) By telling him she will give him a treat.
(c) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(d) By threatening him with a time out.
13. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
(a) Hold out for a higher offer.
(b) Refuse to sell her place.
(c) Accept the builders' offer to buy her place.
(d) Stand and fight for her place.
14. Why does Shintaro not join Ono's other pupils at their reserved table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) He was too poor.
(b) He was not regarded as first rank.
(c) They were jealous of his friendship with Ono.
(d) There were too many of them.
15. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Paint advertising posters for her new bar.
(b) Bring all his friends to her bar.
(c) Visit her new bar when it's built.
(d) Loan her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
2. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
3. What kind of customers frequented Migi-Hidari in the old days?
4. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
5. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)