|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
(a) He's unusually intelligent.
(b) He's precocious.
(c) He's headstrong.
(d) He's messy.
2. Why was Shintaro not initially called up for military service?
(a) His service as an artist was more important.
(b) He had a bad leg.
(c) He was his family's only support.
(d) He was mentally defective.
3. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It brought shame to his employees.
(b) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(c) It was a tragic waste.
(d) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
4. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro would find a wife.
(b) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
(c) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
(d) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
5. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
(a) Satisfaction and dignity.
(b) Taro's admiration.
(c) A good marriage for his daughter.
(d) Noriko's respect.
6. How does Mrs. Kawakami's bar seem to Ono while the construction is under way?
(a) Shabby and out of place.
(b) Homelike and appealing.
(c) Quaint and charming.
(d) Traditional and historic.
7. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(b) That he would build a room for her.
(c) That she could live with their family.
(d) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
8. Which of the sisters is older?
(b) They are twins.
(d) We are not told.
9. What does Kuroda explain to Ono while they sit around the table in Migi-Hidari?
(a) That Ono did not appreciate his students' progress.
(b) That Ono was unaware of his own great reputation.
(c) That Ono was not the painter he used to be.
(d) That Ono was not keeping up with changing times.
10. What position is Shintaro applying for?
(a) Comic book illustrator.
(b) High school teacher.
(d) Graphic artist.
11. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He has found a new job.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(d) He is leaving the city.
12. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(b) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(c) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(d) She thought it would cost them money.
13. What does Ono like best about the house?
(a) It is visually exciting.
(b) It is conducive to relaxation and calm.
(c) It suffered no damage during the war.
(d) It is prestigious.
14. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's improved the house alone.
(b) He's learning to cook.
(c) He's modernized his painting style.
(d) He's learning to speak English.
15. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(b) Theaters and restaurants.
(c) Geisha houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
2. How does Ono help Shintaro's younger brother?
3. What does Ono say about the movie that insults Ichiro?
4. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
5. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)