|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(b) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(c) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(d) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
2. How does Noriko persuade Ichiro to help her clear away the breakfast things?
(a) By telling him she's not strong enough to put the table away.
(b) By threatening him with a time out.
(c) By threatening to send him to his room.
(d) By telling him she will give him a treat.
3. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
(a) She becomes talkative and lively.
(b) She becomes increasingly silent and distressed.
(c) She abruptly leaves the table.
(d) She begins to relax.
4. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
(a) She bought new games to play at home.
(b) A trip to the cinema with the whole family.
(c) A visit to the deer park without Ono.
(d) A trip to the art museum.
5. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
(b) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
(c) If Shintaro would find a wife.
(d) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
6. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) A ghetto.
(c) A desert.
(d) A boomtown.
7. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
(a) Ninja fighters.
(b) Samurai warriors.
(c) Japanese heroes.
(d) American heroes.
8. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
(a) The sisters'deceased father had been a relative.
(b) The sisters' deceased father had known of his wealth.
(c) The sisters' deceased father owed Ono a debt.
(d) The sisters' deceased father had respected his art.
9. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He has found a new job.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He is leaving the city.
(d) He has applied for several teaching positions.
10. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
(a) Ono could support the endeavor.
(b) Ono is shrewd about business matters.
(c) Ono is her last dependable customer.
(d) Ono is her only friend.
11. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(b) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(c) That she could live with their family.
(d) That he would build a room for her.
12. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
(a) He took them to an appraiser.
(b) He burned them.
(c) He took them to a teacher.
(d) He sold them.
13. Why is Ono angry with Shintaro?
(a) Ono thinks Shintaro should take responsibility for his past actions.
(b) Ono doesn't want to be used by Shintaro.
(c) Ono is insulted that Shintaro didn't ask for his help.
(d) Ono thinks a teaching position is beneath Shintaro.
14. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
(a) It is relaxed, no longer awkward.
(b) It is boring, so everyone leaves early.
(c) It is an embarrassing disaster.
(d) It is awkward, no longer relaxed.
15. What is a miai?
(a) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(b) A business meeting.
(c) An engagement party.
(d) A wedding reception.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Shintaro applying for?
2. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
3. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
4. How does Ichiro respond to Setsuko's requests for him to settle down?
5. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)