Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Part 1
1. How does Ono acquire his house for less than half its value?
2. After the surrender, one of the Sugimura sisters visits the house, obviously more concerned about the building than its inhabitants. Why doesn't Ono feel angry toward her?
3. What is surprising about Noriko's comments to Setsuko about Ono?
4. What prediction does Setsuko's mother make about her that is now proving accurate?
5. Why didn't Ono object to Noriko's marriage into a family that was below their station?
This section contains 845 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)