|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he learns there will be sake at dinner, what makes Ichiro laugh?
(a) His aunt Noriko might get drunk.
(b) Ichiro might get drunk.
(c) His father might get drunk.
(d) His grandfather Ono might get drunk.
2. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(b) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
(c) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
(d) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
3. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
(a) Trying to stop the war effort.
(b) Ignoring the war effort.
(c) Refusing to participate in the war effort.
(d) Encouraging the war effort.
4. How does Kuroda's student, Enchi, change his attitude during Ono's visit?
(a) First he is welcoming, then openly hostile.
(b) First he is hostile, then he becomes openly aggressive.
(c) First he is welcoming, then embarrassed.
(d) First he is hostile, then openly welcoming.
5. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(b) Destroyed buildings.
(c) Anti-war slogans.
(d) Fire engines.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
2. Where does Ono believe his own mannerisms come from?
3. What does Ono promise Ichiro as a reward for drawing a picture?
4. On what basis do the Sugimura sisters select a buyer for their house?
5. When does Ono feel the sense of triumph he had hoped for?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)