|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
(a) Their wealth makes artists disrespectful of others.
(b) Art is useless in the world.
(c) Their poverty makes artists weak-willed and depraved.
(d) Artists are dishonest.
2. What does Shintaro not confide to Ono?
(a) He is leaving the city.
(b) He is getting married.
(c) He has applied for several teaching positions.
(d) He has found a new job.
3. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
(b) They wrote slurs about one another.
(c) They destroyed each other's paintings.
(d) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
4. What causes Ono's great sense of triumph?
(a) The belief that he had accomplished something of real value.
(b) The belief that his work was much admired.
(c) The belief that Moriyama would be proud of him.
(d) The belief that he had outlasted his enemies.
5. How does the Bridge of Hesitation get its name?
(a) Conscience-troubled men would decide to go home or out for entertainment.
(b) One side was modern; the other old-fashioned.
(c) The city had to decide whether to rebuild the bridge.
(d) One side had been rebuilt; the other was destroyed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
2. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
3. What does Shintaro want Ono to do for him?
4. What honor had Ono received in 1938?
5. What is the last year covered in this story?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)