|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What always makes Mrs. Kawakami smile?
(a) Seeing her old friend Shintaro.
(b) Remembering what a splendid district it had once been.
(c) Watching customers come in.
(d) Seeing her old friend Ono.
2. What happened to Moriyama after Ono left his school?
(a) His work had been admired in Europe.
(b) His reputation had declined.
(c) His work was displayed at the palace.
(d) His reputation had spread.
3. What is the "floating world"?
(a) The water lilies in the palace courtyard.
(b) The changing political landscape of Japan.
(c) The life of beachcombers and fishermen.
(d) The world of nighttime entertainment and drink.
4. How does Noriko's behavior appear during the first part of the miai?
(a) Boastful and rude.
(b) Lively and intelligent.
(c) Quiet and shy.
(d) Noisy and disrespectful.
5. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
(a) His songs had been misunderstood.
(b) He had a terminal illness.
(c) No one had appreciated his music.
(d) His songs had been used to promote war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wrongdoing does Ono confess at the miai?
2. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
3. What does Matsuda say the smell of burning means now that the war is over?
4. Why does Mrs. Kawakami want Ono's advice about the corporation's offer?
5. What does Matsuda's neighbor boy do each day?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)