|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono admire Sugimura?
(a) He aspired to rise above mediocrity.
(b) He was a skilled landscape designer.
(c) He aspired to fame.
(d) He aspired to make a fortune.
2. How does Noriko say Ono has behaved since his retirement?
(a) He mopes.
(b) He is sociable.
(c) He tyrannizes her.
(d) He wanders.
3. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro would find a wife.
(b) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
(c) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
(d) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
4. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
(a) Refuse to sell her place.
(b) Accept the builders' offer to buy her place.
(c) Stand and fight for her place.
(d) Hold out for a higher offer.
5. What is the last year covered in this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
2. What has changed in the city between 1948 and 1949?
3. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
4. What does Ono believe should give Matsuda and him satisfaction as they review their lives?
5. What question does Setsuko's husband, Suichi, persist in asking?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)