|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(b) It brought shame to his employees.
(c) It was an embarrassment to the company.
(d) It was a tragic waste.
2. How does Mrs. Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) They've gone too far.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(d) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
3. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To impress his son's high school friends.
(b) To shorten the walk to town.
(c) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(d) To improve her social standing.
4. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
(a) Start a smaller place in the suburbs.
(b) Build a fine new place.
(c) Relax and put her feet up.
(d) Retire to the seaside.
5. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It may yet return.
(b) It would be better if it returned.
(c) It is just as well that it will not return.
(d) Ono will pray for its return.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before learning of his death had Ono visited his old friend?
2. How does Ono find his old friend upon his second visit?
3. What is the last year covered in this story?
4. How long did Shintaro serve in the military?
5. What is the "floating world"?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)