|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
(a) The Japanese are children learning democracy.
(b) They're an important expression of freedom of speech.
(c) It is a great pity that people are being injured.
(d) They've gone too far.
2. What does Ono think about the spirit of the old floating world?
(a) Perhaps it was the best we will ever know.
(b) Perhaps it was not always for the best.
(c) Perhaps it will be reborn at some point.
(d) Perhaps it will never be recreated.
3. What is a miai?
(a) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(b) An engagement party.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) A wedding reception.
4. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's learning to speak English.
(b) He's learning to cook.
(c) He's modernized his painting style.
(d) He's improved the house alone.
5. Which room does Ono say is the most important room in the house?
(a) The reception room.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The veranda.
(d) The long corridor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
2. How does Ono convince his wife that an investigation for the sale of the house is not a problem?
3. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
4. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
5. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)