|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ono as a young boy dread his father's business meetings?
(a) He couldn't understand what his father said.
(b) The incense in the room made it hard to breathe.
(c) He hated his father.
(d) He was being punished.
2. Why is Ono surprised that Shintaro has not confided in him?
(a) Ono could have given Shintaro what he wanted.
(b) Ono's recommendation would have been all Shintaro needed.
(c) Ono had been his friend and mentor.
(d) Shintaro needed Ono's support.
3. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
(a) Retire to the seaside.
(b) Relax and put her feet up.
(c) Build a fine new place.
(d) Start a smaller place in the suburbs.
4. What does Ono believe would make Shintaro happier?
(a) If Shintaro had the courage and honesty to admit his past deeds.
(b) If Shintaro could get a teaching position.
(c) If Shintaro would return to the pleasure district.
(d) If Shintaro would find a wife.
5. What does Shintaro paint now that the war is over?
(a) Fire engines.
(c) Anti-war slogans.
(d) Destroyed buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
2. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
3. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
4. Why is Ono angry with Shintaro?
5. How does the atmosphere of the miai change after Ono's confession?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)