|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono describe Noriko and Setsuko?
(a) Noriko is headstrong; Setsuko is shy and retiring.
(b) Both girls are headstrong and stubborn.
(c) Both girls are shy and retiring.
(d) Noriko is shy and retiring; Setsuko is headstrong.
2. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
(a) By implying that she would never marry.
(b) By insulting her father.
(c) By disparaging their house.
(d) By acting as if the marriage negotiations were settled.
3. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(b) That she could live with their family.
(c) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
(d) That he would build a room for her.
4. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
(a) He wants to stay with his mother.
(b) He wants to stay with his grandfather.
(c) He says it's women's work.
(d) He's playing a game.
5. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It reflects many cultures.
(b) It is skillfully designed.
(c) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(d) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
2. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
3. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
4. Who is Ichiro actually pretending to be when he imagines himself on horseback?
5. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)