|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ono's father object to his becoming an artist?
(a) Art is useless in the world.
(b) Their poverty makes artists weak-willed and depraved.
(c) Their wealth makes artists disrespectful of others.
(d) Artists are dishonest.
2. Which of the sisters is older?
(a) They are twins.
(d) We are not told.
3. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
(a) A desert.
(b) A ghetto.
(c) A boomtown.
(d) A graveyard.
4. Why does Noriko say that Ono is making progress?
(a) He's modernized his painting style.
(b) He's learning to speak English.
(c) He's learning to cook.
(d) He's improved the house alone.
5. What does Miyake think about the suicide of his company's president?
(a) It was a noble gesture that freed his employees from shame.
(b) It was a tragic waste.
(c) It brought shame to his employees.
(d) It was an embarrassment to the company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
2. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
3. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
4. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
5. What does Ono like about the garden?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)