|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono like about the garden?
(a) It seems natural, not artificially designed.
(b) It is an elaborate labyrinth.
(c) It is skillfully designed.
(d) It reflects many cultures.
2. How did Noriko upset Setsuko when they were children?
(a) By making fun of her awkwardness.
(b) By calling her a boy.
(c) By calling her ugly.
(d) By beating her at games.
3. What does Ono's father do with his paintings?
(a) He took them to a teacher.
(b) He burned them.
(c) He took them to an appraiser.
(d) He sold them.
4. According to Suichi, Ichiro's father, why does Ono quit painting?
(a) Because Japan lost the war.
(b) Because he has lost his skill.
(c) Because he lost interest in art.
(d) Because he is too old.
5. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To improve her social standing.
(b) To impress his son's high school friends.
(c) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(d) To shorten the walk to town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Noriko planned for entertainment during Setsuko's visit?
2. What had the wandering priest warned Ono's parents about him?
3. Which of the sisters is older?
4. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
5. Why does Ichiro refuse to help Noriko put away the breakfast things?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)