|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ono view Shintaro's childlike attitude about the war?
(a) Ono sees Shintaro as unaccountable for his actions.
(b) Ono sees Shintaro as cleverly pretending to be ignorant.
(c) Ono sees Shintaro as permanently damaged by the war.
(d) Ono hopes his friend will return to him.
2. How do the new apartment buildings under construction look to Ono?
(a) They are ugly and too modern.
(b) They could be mistaken for bombed ruins.
(c) They are beautiful.
(d) They are a sign of progress.
3. How does Shintaro embarrass Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) By drinking too much.
(b) By changing his painting style.
(c) By joking too loudly.
(d) By expressing admiration for a war criminal.
4. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(b) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
(c) She thought it would cost them money.
(d) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
5. What does Ono promise the youngest Sugimura sister?
(a) That he would repair the war damage at the first opportunity.
(b) That she could live with their family.
(c) That he would build a room for her.
(d) That she could return to the house whenever she wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ichiro's father, Suichi, think makes good role models for Ichiro?
2. What kind of mistakes does Ono believe are not shameful?
3. How does Taro Saito feel about the demonstrations in the streets?
4. What does Mrs. Kawakami call the pleasure district since the war?
5. What quality does Ono say the arguments and banter of the old days always had?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)