|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
(a) It would be tactless because the old days are dear to her.
(b) Ono knows she doesn't wish for the old days.
(c) Ono knows she's too old to rebuild.
(d) Ono knows she is relieved to be through with the old days.
2. What is a miai?
(a) A wedding reception.
(b) A business meeting.
(c) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(d) An engagement party.
3. What does Ono believe he gained from his admission?
(a) Noriko's respect.
(b) A good marriage for his daughter.
(c) Taro's admiration.
(d) Satisfaction and dignity.
4. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
(a) The outcome had been unsatisfactory.
(b) He doesn't want to make Noriko even more nervous.
(c) Noriko might become overconfident.
(d) Noriko would be angry if he interfered.
5. Why does Ono's wife object to being investigated to get the house?
(a) She thought her secret would be discovered.
(b) She thought it would interfere with her daughters' marriage chances.
(c) She thought it would cost them money.
(d) She thought the sellers had no right to check on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Taro react to Ono's confession?
2. How does Setsuko make up to Ono for Noriko's excluding him from the outing?
3. How does Noriko embarrass Ono in front of Mr. Mori?
4. Why does Ono believe the Miyakes withdrew their offer of marriage?
5. How does Setsuko characterize Ichiro?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)