|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a miai?
(a) A business meeting.
(b) A formal meeting between the families of a prospective bride and groom.
(c) A wedding reception.
(d) An engagement party.
2. What is taking the place of the bars of the old pleasure district?
(b) Geisha houses.
(c) Theaters and restaurants.
3. What does Ono think about the return of the old floating world?
(a) It may yet return.
(b) Ono will pray for its return.
(c) It would be better if it returned.
(d) It is just as well that it will not return.
4. What does Ono believe is more shameful than one's past mistakes?
(a) Failing to learn from them.
(b) Encouraging others to commit the same mistakes.
(c) Being unable or unwilling to acknowledge them.
(d) Continuing to make the same mistakes.
5. Why does Ono's wife press him to find a better house?
(a) To improve his daughters' marriage prospects.
(b) To improve her social standing.
(c) To shorten the walk to town.
(d) To impress his son's high school friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Ono share his feelings about the old pleasure district with Mrs. Kawakami?
2. Why is Ono considered as a potential buyer for the Sugimura house?
3. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do?
4. What does Ono promise to do to help Mrs. Kawakami?
5. What part of the house do Ono's daughters enjoy most?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)