|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ono mean when he talks of the art students "slanging" one another?
(a) They shouted good-humored insults across the yard.
(b) They wrote slurs about one another.
(c) They destroyed each other's paintings.
(d) They wrote unpleasant critiques of one another's work.
2. Who does Ono think Ichiro is pretending to be when the boy imagines himself on horseback?
(a) Gene Autry.
(b) Lord Yoshitsune.
(c) The Lone Ranger.
(d) Roy Rogers.
3. Why does Ono decide to watch Metsuo during the miai?
(a) Metsuo is unusually handsome.
(b) He wonders if Metsuo would make a good son-in-law.
(c) He thinks Metsuo does not hide his feelings.
(d) Ono is worried that Metsuo was in love with Noriko.
4. What does Ono tell Ichiro about why men drink sake?
(a) It makes a man stronger.
(b) For a little while, they can believe they're stronger.
(c) It separates strong men from weak women.
(d) It helps men see the beauty of the floating world.
5. What does Moriyama wish to accomplish with his students?
(a) To spread their art throughout Japan.
(b) To change painting in their city to conform to his idea of style.
(c) To spread their art throughout the world.
(d) To change modern art in Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Noriko's behavior change during the miai?
2. Why does the songwriter Naguchi commit suicide?
3. Why does Ono decide NOT to tell Noriko that he had contacted old acquaintances to try to ensure that her marriage negotiations went well?
4. What does Ono advise Mrs. Kawakami to do with the profit from selling her bar?
5. How does Sugimura plan to leave his mark on the city forever?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)