|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, And the Parrot....
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gertrude's son-in-law, the explorer Henry Morton Stanley, was forced to get rid of his belongings during a trip, what book did he toss?
(a) The Bible.
(b) A volume of Shakespeare.
(c) "Madame Bovary."
2. What was the subject of the metaphysical novel Flaubert made plans to write?
(a) A man who was unhappy in his life but happy in his dreams.
(b) A man who could not love anyone who loved him.
(c) A man who could only communicate with animals.
(d) A man who wanted to see the world, but would go no farther than five miles from his home.
3. According to Louise, what kind of lover was Flaubert?
4. What does Geoffrey learn about Ed when he meets him at the restaurant?
(a) Ed wants to donate materials to the Flaubert museums.
(b) Ed has been fired.
(c) Ed has married.
(d) Ed has lost the book he hoped to exchange with Geoffrey.
5. What object is the subject of the theater direction quoted in the theatrical history section of the examination?
(a) A pen.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A copy of Madame Bovary.
(d) A stockpot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey hope will result from his discussion with Ed?
2. What is Geoffrey's response to the accusation that Flaubert was a pessimist?
3. Geoffrey feels that he understands Ellen less than he understands whom?
4. What French work did Flaubert translate into English?
5. With what writer does the biographer Enid Starkie compare Flaubert?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)