|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, And the Parrot....
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What particular criticism does Starkie have of Flaubert's characterization of Madame Bovary?
(a) She says that her temperament does not suit her actions.
(b) She says that there is no clear physical descriptiion in the book.
(c) He says that her eyes saw all when it was obvious she was often unaware.
(d) She says that he gives her differing eye colors in different chapters.
2. According to Geoffrey, what did Flaubert think about democracy?
(a) He thought democracy would ruin France.
(b) He thought democracy would eventually come to every country.
(c) He thought democracy was noble.
(d) He thought democracy was merely a stage in the history of government.
3. What did people want to tell Geoffrey about?
(a) Ellen's affairs.
(b) Ellen's illness.
(c) Their writing projects.
(d) His children's behavior.
4. Which of the following describes Flaubert's grave?
(a) Small and unpretentious.
(b) On the outskirts of the cemetary.
(c) Grand and pretentious.
(d) Weed-covered with an illegible headstone.
5. What did Flaubert think should accompany scientific advances?
(a) Economic advances.
(b) Literary advances.
(c) Increased study opportunities.
(d) Moral advances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the man who owned the parrot in the newspaper article?
2. How many letters did Ed get from the woman named Kent?
3. How long after the museum at Croisset opened was the collection at the Hotel-Dieu put together?
4. To whom were all of Flaubert's letters to Louise Colet sent through?
5. Flaubert, who didn't believe in progress, thought that democracy made people what?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)