Chapter 1, Flaubert's Parrot
* Geoffrey walks around the town of Rouen describing the statues of Flaubert which are in various states of disrepair.
* Geoffrey remembers what the town was like when he first saw it during the war in 1944 and the town had been bombed
* Geoffrey drives to Caen and lunches at a hotel near where his friends died in the war.
* Geoffrey reveals that he had once thought of writing a book himself.
* Geoffrey sees the first stuffed parrot at the Hotel-Dieu where Flaubert's father had been the head surgeon.
* Geoffrey drives to Croisset where Flaubert lived and finds the second stuffed parrot.
* Geoffrey picks up a copy of "Un coeur simple," and rereads the story Flaubert had been writing while the parrot sat on hi desk.
* Geoffrey writes letters to various academics asking about the two parrots.
Chapter 2, Chronology
* Geoffrey writes a chronology about Flaubert's life in...
This section contains 1,835 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)