|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the small creature of Pointland believe A. Square's voice to be?
2. What is the second deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
3. What was A. Square's grandson's reward for his work with sight recognition?
4. How does A. Square attack the stranger?
5. What shape does the grandson almost grasp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evolution of Circles, and be sure to include both natural evolution and artificial evolution.
2. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
3. Why does the Sphere throw A. Square from Spaceland at the end of Chapter 19? Who does Sphere remind you of at this point, and why?
4. Explain the primary focus of Circles in Chapter 12, and the reasoning behind that focus.
5. Describe the Circle Class physically, and in terms of their role in society.
6. Explain A. Square's login that a Fourth dimension must exist.
7. Explain the shapes of Lineland in Chapter 13, and their existence in terms of movement and marriage.
8. Describe what happens that leads to the imprisonment of A. Square.
9. How does the Circle attempt to prove in Chapter 17 to A. Square he is telling the truth? Why is this nearly convincing?
10. What methods does A. Square use to attempt to explain two dimensional space? Summarize the information he explains to the King.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Flatland, only the upper class have rights to certain privileges. Discuss at least two examples of such privileges. Do you think the upper class in modern society has more privileges than the lower classes? Why?
Essay Topic 2
List and describe the three dimensions discussed in the novel. Be sure to include as many details about each as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the evolutionary process in Flatland, as explained in Chapter 3. Be sure to include not only the basics given, but also specific information about lower class individuals, Equilateral triangles, and Circles. Compare this evolutionary process to that of humans.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)