|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does A. Square asked to be taken, after the stranger's explanation of those who believe in the fourth dimension?
2. What does A. Square tell his wife has happened?
3. Where does A. Square first see Lineland?
4. What recognition method is used as a teaching tool by the stranger?
5. What are women not taught to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the only recognition method used in Flatland, and why touch and sight are not used.
2. How does the Circle attempt to prove in Chapter 17 to A. Square he is telling the truth? Why is this nearly convincing?
3. Discuss how complacency is viewed by Sphere.
4. Describe the evolution of Circles, and be sure to include both natural evolution and artificial evolution.
5. Explain the shapes of Lineland in Chapter 13, and their existence in terms of movement and marriage.
6. Explain A. Square's login that a Fourth dimension must exist.
7. Explain the primary focus of Circles in Chapter 12, and the reasoning behind that focus.
8. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
9. What methods does A. Square use to attempt to explain two dimensional space? Summarize the information he explains to the King.
10. What method does A. Square next attempt to use to describe the Fourth Dimension? Why does he find it difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Class clearly plays an important role in the novel, both in terms of the storyline and in terms of Abbott's use of symbolism to represent Victorian society. Discuss, in detail, Abbott's overall point about the class structure of society, and it's impact on each of the following:
2. The legal system
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Circles use their power to control the lower classes. Discuss at least three examples of this abuse of power. What do you think Abbott was attempting to say about the aristocratic powers of his own time?
Essay Topic 3
List and describe the three dimensions discussed in the novel. Be sure to include as many details about each as possible.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)