|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the stranger defend his idea that omnipotence is not a quality of Gods?
2. What does A. Square believe the straight lines in his dream to be?
3. What does A. Square point out about the King's space?
4. How does A. Square know he is to be punished for his views?
5. What is the result of the lesson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What situation leads to the taking of A. Square into Spaceland at the end of Chapter 17?
2. What method does A. Square next attempt to use to describe the Fourth Dimension? Why does he find it difficult?
3. Describe the evolution of Circles, and be sure to include both natural evolution and artificial evolution.
4. Explain how the inhabitant of Pointland views his world.
5. What does the grandson hear outside the window in Chapter 21? Why does he become afraid? What does this fear cause him to reject?
6. Explain A. Square's login that a Fourth dimension must exist.
7. Discuss how complacency is viewed by Sphere.
8. What does A. Square feel is improper regarding the relationship between Circles and Women, and concerning the relationship between men and women in general?
9. Explain the only recognition method used in Flatland, and why touch and sight are not used.
10. Describe the Circle Class physically, and in terms of their role in society.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Class clearly plays an important role in the novel, both in terms of the storyline and in terms of Abbott's use of symbolism to represent Victorian society. Discuss, in detail, Abbott's overall point about the class structure of society, and it's impact on each of the following:
2. The legal system
Essay Topic 2
Explain the evolutionary process in Flatland, as explained in Chapter 3. Be sure to include not only the basics given, but also specific information about lower class individuals, Equilateral triangles, and Circles. Compare this evolutionary process to that of humans.
Essay Topic 3
In Flatland, only the upper class have rights to certain privileges. Discuss at least two examples of such privileges. Do you think the upper class in modern society has more privileges than the lower classes? Why?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)