|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
2. What are women not taught to do?
3. Where does A. Square asked to be taken, after the stranger's explanation of those who believe in the fourth dimension?
4. What does A. Square do at the end of the chapter?
5. Why is deception not a problem in Lineland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why A. Square chooses his grandson to be the student for his lesson about the Fourth Dimension, and why he doesn't choose another student.
2. What does A. Square feel is improper regarding the relationship between Circles and Women, and concerning the relationship between men and women in general?
3. What does the grandson hear outside the window in Chapter 21? Why does he become afraid? What does this fear cause him to reject?
4. Describe what happens that leads to the imprisonment of A. Square.
5. Explain the primary focus of Circles in Chapter 12, and the reasoning behind that focus.
6. Explain A. Square's argument that he is now God, and Sphere's rebuttal in Chapter 18.
7. Discuss how complacency is viewed by Sphere.
8. Summarize the scene A. Square sees at the General Assembly Hall of the States of Flatland, and what Sphere does at the end of Chapter 18.
9. Explain the only recognition method used in Flatland, and why touch and sight are not used.
10. Explain how the inhabitant of Pointland views his world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Flatland, only the upper class have rights to certain privileges. Discuss at least two examples of such privileges. Do you think the upper class in modern society has more privileges than the lower classes? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the idea of individuals using drastic measures to overcome their position in life is presented. Give at least two examples of this in the novel, and discuss in depth the process these individuals endure. Do you think such drastic measures are used in today's society? Do you believe such measures are justified?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the evolutionary process in Flatland, as explained in Chapter 3. Be sure to include not only the basics given, but also specific information about lower class individuals, Equilateral triangles, and Circles. Compare this evolutionary process to that of humans.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)