|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger do to A. Square at the end of the chapter?
2. In Spaceland, what is valued highest: intellect, emotion, money, or faith?
3. What happens as the race of circles climbs higher in development?
4. How does A. Square attempt to prove he can see in Lineland?
5. How do individuals in Lineland move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Sphere throw A. Square from Spaceland at the end of Chapter 19? Who does Sphere remind you of at this point, and why?
2. Summarize the scene A. Square sees at the General Assembly Hall of the States of Flatland, and what Sphere does at the end of Chapter 18.
3. How does the Circle attempt to prove in Chapter 17 to A. Square he is telling the truth? Why is this nearly convincing?
4. What does A. Square feel is improper regarding the relationship between Circles and Women, and concerning the relationship between men and women in general?
5. What situation leads to the taking of A. Square into Spaceland at the end of Chapter 17?
6. Describe the scene between A. Square and his grandson in Chapter 15, and summarize the grandson's argument for a third dimension.
7. The Circle attempts to use an analogy to explain three dimensional space to A. Square in Chapter 16. Summarize this analogy.
8. Why does A. Square attack the Circle at the end of Chapter 16? Who does A. Square remind you of at this point, and why?
9. Explain why A. Square had to be sure to be in a certain position in order to speak to the King of Lineland. What would the King have experienced if A. Square had not done this?
10. Explain A. Square's login that a Fourth dimension must exist.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a vital theme throughout Flatland, as it is used for a variety of purposes. Choose one of the following situations, and explain how fear is used to control the population. Do you believe this power was abused, or used for a just cause? Do you think fear is still used to control populations? Is this a just method of control? Why or why not?
1. The final meeting of the community to pass or deny the Universal Color Bill
2. The proclamation by the Circles at the end of the novel, in terms of those discussing a third dimension
3. The threat of death for irregular shapes
Essay Topic 2
In Flatland, only the upper class have rights to certain privileges. Discuss at least two examples of such privileges. Do you think the upper class in modern society has more privileges than the lower classes? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, there are several methods of recognition discussed including sound, sight, and feel. Compare the methods explained in the book to our own methods using the same senses. How are they the same? How do they differ? If you were to lose two of these senses, do you think the remaining one would be accurate 100 percent of the time?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)