Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first law for women is;
2. What two body parts are the same on a woman?
3. What method of recognition was no longer taught?
4. What happened to those who attempted to discover the source of light in Flatland?
5. According to Hoffman, what is the goal of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Circle attempts to use an analogy to explain three dimensional space to A. Square in Chapter 16. Summarize this analogy.
2. What is the author's primary defense against the idea that those in Flatland should recognize thickness, and infer a dimension?
3. What situation leads to the taking of A. Square into Spaceland at the end of Chapter 17?
4. Explain the use of color in the military of Flatland.
5. What tools do inhabitants use to discern direction in Flatland?
6. What example does A. Square use to show his reasoning behind the need for regularity of shape?
7. What is the author's primary defense against the idea that A. Square hates women?
8. Explain how sound is used to recognize lower shape classes, and why such a method cannot be used by the upper class.
9. Explain why square and triangular homes are not allowed. In addition, explain why government buildings are allowed to be triangular.
10. What method does A. Square next attempt to use to describe the Fourth Dimension? Why does he find it difficult?
Essay Topic 1
In Flatland, there are several Laws of Nature discussed that serve to keep the Circles in power. Choose one of these laws, and explain it in depth. Does such a law of nature truly exist in the world? What do you believe Abbott was trying to say by introducing this law?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the King of Pointland, the King of Lineland, A. Square, and the Sphere, including their general characteristics as well as their overall personalities. What are their similarities? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the evolutionary process in Flatland, as explained in Chapter 3. Be sure to include not only the basics given, but also specific information about lower class individuals, Equilateral triangles, and Circles. Compare this evolutionary process to that of humans.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)