|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hinders A. Square's writing?
(a) Their are only tablets to write with.
(b) There are diagrams.
(c) There is no mathematical equivalent.
(d) There are only lines to write with.
2. What do all inhabitants of Lineland see?
(a) A single point
(c) Lines and points
3. Why is deception not a problem in Lineland?
(a) The inhabitants cannot change their voice.
(b) The inhabitants cannot change their angles.
(c) The inhabitants cannot change their smell.
(d) The inhabitants cannot change their shape.
4. Why does A. Square believe his sons will not understand?
(a) They are not good with mathematics.
(b) They are Council members.
(c) They are triangles.
(d) They are not intelligent.
5. What does A. Square fear about this lack of training?
(a) The result will be a lesser male intellect.
(b) The result will be a lack of communication.
(c) The result will be more accidents in the home.
(d) The result will be more public accidents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do circles do to their young?
2. What is the final fate for A. Square?
3. Why does A. Square call the stranger his "lordship"?
4. What does A. Square's wife yell at A. Square for in this chapter?
5. How do the inhabitants of Lineland comprehend distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain A. Square's argument that he is now God, and Sphere's rebuttal in Chapter 18.
2. Discuss how complacency is viewed by Sphere.
3. Explain how the inhabitant of Pointland views his world.
4. What does the grandson hear outside the window in Chapter 21? Why does he become afraid? What does this fear cause him to reject?
5. Explain A. Square's login that a Fourth dimension must exist.
6. Explain the primary focus of Circles in Chapter 12, and the reasoning behind that focus.
7. What methods does A. Square use to attempt to explain two dimensional space? Summarize the information he explains to the King.
8. Describe the Circle Class physically, and in terms of their role in society.
9. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
10. Why does the Sphere throw A. Square from Spaceland at the end of Chapter 19? Who does Sphere remind you of at this point, and why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)