|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stranger do to A. Square at the end of the chapter?
(a) Places him in the Fourth Dimension.
(b) Places him in Pointland.
(c) Places him in Lineland.
(d) Throws him from Spaceland.
2. Why does A. Square become saddened?
(a) He cannot visualize a cube.
(b) He realizes he is a two dimensional object.
(c) He cannot visualize a sphere.
(d) His wife dies.
3. Why does A. Square call the stranger his "lordship"?
(a) He believes the stranger is a king.
(b) He believes the stranger is the Chief Circle.
(c) He believes the stranger is his boss.
(d) He believes the stranger is a perfect circle.
4. What does the stranger show A. Square first?
(a) The entire world of Flatland
(b) The stranger's home
(c) A. Square's own home
(d) A true cube
5. How does marriage occur in Lineland?
(a) Marriage doesn't happen in Lineland.
(b) When a woman's voice matches with that of two men.
(c) When two individuals fall in love.
(d) When a man's voice matches with that of two women.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the inhabitants of Lineland comprehend distance?
2. How does A. Square attack the stranger?
3. What does the line claim to be?
4. What does the wife originally believe the shape that appears in the house is?
5. What does A. Square say about true space?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does A. Square attack the Circle at the end of Chapter 16? Who does A. Square remind you of at this point, and why?
2. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
3. What method does A. Square next attempt to use to describe the Fourth Dimension? Why does he find it difficult?
4. Why does the Sphere throw A. Square from Spaceland at the end of Chapter 19? Who does Sphere remind you of at this point, and why?
5. Summarize the scene A. Square sees at the General Assembly Hall of the States of Flatland, and what Sphere does at the end of Chapter 18.
6. Explain the shapes of Lineland in Chapter 13, and their existence in terms of movement and marriage.
7. Discuss how complacency is viewed by Sphere.
8. Describe what happens that leads to the imprisonment of A. Square.
9. Explain how the inhabitant of Pointland views his world.
10. Explain A. Square's argument that he is now God, and Sphere's rebuttal in Chapter 18.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)