|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does A. Square next attempt to explain the third dimension?
(a) Through writing
(b) Through speech
(c) Through demonstration
(d) Through personal experience
2. How does the stranger defend his idea that omnipotence is not a quality of Gods?
(a) Because God's do not exist.
(b) Because if it were, everyone in Flatland would be a God.
(c) Because if it were, the criminals of Spaceland would be the Gods of Flatland.
(d) Because if it were, no one would be God.
3. What does A. Square's wife yell at A. Square for in this chapter?
(a) Disrespecting himself
(b) Disrespecting the Chief Circle
(c) Disrespecting his grandson
(d) Disrespecting her
4. What does A. Square do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Understands the lesson.
(c) Leaves the room.
(d) Attacks the stranger.
5. How does A. Square attempt to prove he can see in Lineland?
(a) By describing a straight line.
(b) By explaining the number of each sex next to the king.
(c) By describing a circle.
(d) By explaining that he can see lines and points.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is A. Square's first question about Spaceland?
2. Who controls Flatland?
3. Why does A. Square believe his sons will not understand?
4. What prohibits A. Square's student from learning?
5. What is the primary focus of priests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
2. Describe the Circle Class physically, and in terms of their role in society.
3. Describe what happens that leads to the imprisonment of A. Square.
4. How does the Circle attempt to prove in Chapter 17 to A. Square he is telling the truth? Why is this nearly convincing?
5. Why does the Sphere throw A. Square from Spaceland at the end of Chapter 19? Who does Sphere remind you of at this point, and why?
6. What does A. Square feel is improper regarding the relationship between Circles and Women, and concerning the relationship between men and women in general?
7. Why does A. Square attack the Circle at the end of Chapter 16? Who does A. Square remind you of at this point, and why?
8. Explain the only recognition method used in Flatland, and why touch and sight are not used.
9. What situation leads to the taking of A. Square into Spaceland at the end of Chapter 17?
10. Explain the shapes of Lineland in Chapter 13, and their existence in terms of movement and marriage.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)