|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of the lesson?
(a) The student accuses A. Square of insanity.
(b) The student leaves the room.
(c) The student understands.
(d) The student turns A. Square in to the Council.
2. What does A. Square ask for that he cannot be shown?
(a) The source of rain in Spaceland
(b) The source of light in Flatland
(c) The insides of his teacher
(d) The home of the stranger
3. How is the regularity of women monitored?
(a) Through their own word
(b) Through feeling
(c) Through annual visits
(d) By pedigrees
4. What does the small creature of Pointland believe A. Square's voice to be?
(a) The voice of God
(b) The voice of the Sphere
(c) Nothing, since he doesn't hear it
(d) His own
5. How does the stranger defend his idea that omnipotence is not a quality of Gods?
(a) Because if it were, everyone in Flatland would be a God.
(b) Because God's do not exist.
(c) Because if it were, no one would be God.
(d) Because if it were, the criminals of Spaceland would be the Gods of Flatland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does A. Square attack the stranger?
2. Where does A. Square first see Lineland?
3. What does A. Square say about true space?
4. What fear does the stranger have as A. Square calls for help?
5. What is A. Square's first impression of Spaceland.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Circle attempt to prove in Chapter 17 to A. Square he is telling the truth? Why is this nearly convincing?
2. Explain A. Square's login that a Fourth dimension must exist.
3. Explain why A. Square chooses his grandson to be the student for his lesson about the Fourth Dimension, and why he doesn't choose another student.
4. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
5. Explain the primary focus of Circles in Chapter 12, and the reasoning behind that focus.
6. What methods does A. Square use to attempt to explain two dimensional space? Summarize the information he explains to the King.
7. Explain the only recognition method used in Flatland, and why touch and sight are not used.
8. Why does the Sphere throw A. Square from Spaceland at the end of Chapter 19? Who does Sphere remind you of at this point, and why?
9. Describe the evolution of Circles, and be sure to include both natural evolution and artificial evolution.
10. Explain why A. Square had to be sure to be in a certain position in order to speak to the King of Lineland. What would the King have experienced if A. Square had not done this?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)