|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stranger do to A. Square at the end of the chapter?
(a) Places him in the Fourth Dimension.
(b) Throws him from Spaceland.
(c) Places him in Pointland.
(d) Places him in Lineland.
2. What does A. Square fear about this lack of training?
(a) The result will be more accidents in the home.
(b) The result will be more public accidents.
(c) The result will be a lesser male intellect.
(d) The result will be a lack of communication.
3. What method of recognition is considered illegal?
4. What is A. Square's first impression of Spaceland.
(a) It is madness or hell.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) It is ugly.
(d) It is not real.
5. What is A. Square's first question about Spaceland?
(a) Why everything is bright.
(b) Why he cannot see the stranger's insides.
(c) Why everything is dark.
(d) Why he can see the stranger's insides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does A. Square asked to be taken, after the stranger's explanation of those who believe in the fourth dimension?
2. What is a circle in Flatland?
3. What class is most likely to marry a woman with irregular ancestry?
4. What prohibits A. Square's student from learning?
5. What is the second deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the scene A. Square sees at the General Assembly Hall of the States of Flatland, and what Sphere does at the end of Chapter 18.
2. Explain the shapes of Lineland in Chapter 13, and their existence in terms of movement and marriage.
3. Explain the only recognition method used in Flatland, and why touch and sight are not used.
4. What methods does A. Square use to attempt to explain two dimensional space? Summarize the information he explains to the King.
5. Explain why A. Square had to be sure to be in a certain position in order to speak to the King of Lineland. What would the King have experienced if A. Square had not done this?
6. What does A. Square's wife do to the Circle at the end of the chapter? Why does she become afraid and embarrassed?
7. Describe the evolution of Circles, and be sure to include both natural evolution and artificial evolution.
8. Explain A. Square's argument that he is now God, and Sphere's rebuttal in Chapter 18.
9. What situation leads to the taking of A. Square into Spaceland at the end of Chapter 17?
10. How does the Circle attempt to prove in Chapter 17 to A. Square he is telling the truth? Why is this nearly convincing?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)