|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can men do when women are in their apartments?
(a) They can only touch the woman.
(b) They can only speak.
(c) Anything, since the woman won't remember it.
(d) Nothing, since they are inaccessible to men.
2. What is the Law of Nature?
(a) The tendency for each generation to rise in standing.
(b) The tendency for each generation to remain stable over time.
(c) The tendency for each generation to drop in standing.
(d) The tendency for any shape out of the ordinary to be killed.
3. What adverse effect did the new wave of color have?
(a) There was an increase in crime.
(b) There was an increase in mortality rates.
(c) There was a decline in reproduction.
(d) There was a decline in intellectual pursuit.
4. From which direction do women enter houses?
(d) None, as directions don't exist in Flatland
5. To what does the author compare Flatland?
(b) A globe
(c) A piece of paper
(d) A book
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one benefit to having color?
2. What shape are the middle class members?
3. What does the editor defend against at the end of the preface?
4. What is customary for women in upper class homes to do at all times?
5. What happens to leaders of rebellions of lower classes who are nearly regular shaped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize A. Square's explanation of Flatland.
2. What are some of the characteristics of women in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Hoffman believe the development of the fourth dimension does not lessen the lessons of the book?
4. In Chapter 5, A. Square explains how the Law of Nature provides an alphabet of angles through the birth of irregular angles and shapes. Explain what is done with irregular specimens in Flatland. Be sure to include small angle shapes in your discussion.
5. What was the Universal Color Bill, and why did women support it?
6. What are the three rules created for women, in order to protect society? What are the rules in the strictest society?
7. What happened when the Circles regained power following defeat of the color bill? Please be specific.
8. Explain how sight recognition is used in upper classes, and why such a method cannot be used for the lower class.
9. Explain the use of color in the military of Flatland.
10. Explain the basic process of evolution, as described in Chapter 3.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)