|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third form of recognition in Flatland?
2. What effect did the end of this method have on the classes?
(a) There was a war between the classes.
(b) There was no effect.
(c) All classes became closer to equal.
(d) The classes became further separated.
3. What does the editor defend against at the end of the preface?
(a) The author's presentation of Pentagons
(b) The author's presentation of Circles
(c) The author's presentation of Squares
(d) The author's presentation of Triangles
4. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
(a) They are brutal and unfair.
(b) They are for the good of society.
(c) They are unlikely to help society.
(d) They are unsafe and create problems.
5. What does the editor say is his second reason for writing the preface?
(a) To thank readers and critics in Spaceland
(b) To apologize for errors and misprints
(c) To introduce the novel
(d) To explain misconceptions
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the State do with smaller angle specimens used for teaching tools?
2. What is the Law of Nature?
3. What physical trait makes women in Flatland dangerous?
4. What does the editor note that A. Square wishes the readers of Flatland would understand?
5. What can men do when women are in their apartments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some features of the houses of Flatland.
2. How is the temper of women useful in ridding society of the most brutal of the Isosceles class?
3. What was the Universal Color Bill, and why did women support it?
4. Explain the use of color in the military of Flatland.
5. What are the three rules created for women, in order to protect society? What are the rules in the strictest society?
6. What is the author's primary defense against the idea that A. Square hates women?
7. In Chapter 5, A. Square explains how the Law of Nature provides an alphabet of angles through the birth of irregular angles and shapes. Explain what is done with irregular specimens in Flatland. Be sure to include small angle shapes in your discussion.
8. What happened when the Circles regained power following defeat of the color bill? Please be specific.
9. What is the law of nature that helps protect the upper class? Which law of nature do Circles use to help stifle agitation?
10. What are some of the characteristics of women in Chapter 5?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)