|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does A. Square blame for the inhabitants' inability to discern North in the normal way?
(a) Lack of sight
(b) Lack of a sun
(c) Lack of compasses
(d) Lack of a sense of direction
2. What shape of houses is not allowed?
3. What theory had Einstein not yet developed by the time Flatland was published?
(a) The theory of movement
(b) The theory of relativity
(c) The theory of the fourth dimension
(d) The theory of time and space
4. What was Edwin Abbott's occupation?
5. The second law for women is:
(a) They must never be in public.
(b) They must never make a sound in public.
(c) They must speak when spoken to in public.
(d) They must continuously make noise when in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hoffman say about the first three dimensions?
2. What is irregularity considered in Flatland?
3. What is the Law of Nature?
4. What do inhabitants of Flatland see?
5. What does the editor note that A. Square wishes the readers of Flatland would understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tools do inhabitants use to discern direction in Flatland?
2. Explain the overall shape of a woman in Flatland, and why such a shape is detrimental?
3. In Chapter 5, A. Square explains how the Law of Nature provides an alphabet of angles through the birth of irregular angles and shapes. Explain what is done with irregular specimens in Flatland. Be sure to include small angle shapes in your discussion.
4. What happens to irregular figures? Be sure to discuss all irregulars, including those with highly irregular figures.
5. Summarize A. Square's example of how to imagine how inhabitants of Flatland see one another.
6. Explain how sound is used to recognize lower shape classes, and why such a method cannot be used by the upper class.
7. What happened when the Circles regained power following defeat of the color bill? Please be specific.
8. Explain why square and triangular homes are not allowed. In addition, explain why government buildings are allowed to be triangular.
9. What caused women to turn against the color bill?
10. What are the three rules created for women, in order to protect society? What are the rules in the strictest society?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)