|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hoffman say about the characters of Flatland?
(a) They are not interesting.
(b) They are unbelievable.
(c) They are well rounded.
(d) They are unnecessary.
2. What have the priests discovered about increasing laws against women that force them to be confined at home?
(a) Such actions result in the death of more women.
(b) Such actions result in the death of more men.
(c) Such actions result in higher birth rates.
(d) Such actions result in higher suicide rates.
3. What effect did the end of this method have on the classes?
(a) The classes became further separated.
(b) There was no effect.
(c) There was a war between the classes.
(d) All classes became closer to equal.
4. Where are higher class youths sent for education?
(a) Military schools
(c) State schools
5. What happens to the most irregular shapes?
(a) They are allowed into public office.
(b) They are allowed to marry into a higher class.
(c) They are killed.
(d) They are imprisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author call the land he writes about Flatland?
2. According to Hoffman, what is the goal of the novel?
3. What army did the Isosceles defeat?
4. What is the most common form of house construction in Flatland?
5. How long did the color movement continue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tools do inhabitants use to discern direction in Flatland?
2. What occurred when individuals began to question where light came from?
3. Explain the basic process of evolution, as described in Chapter 3.
4. What appears to be the reasoning behind the need for the preface of this novel?
5. Explain why square and triangular homes are not allowed. In addition, explain why government buildings are allowed to be triangular.
6. What does the grandson hear outside the window in Chapter 21? Why does he become afraid? What does this fear cause him to reject?
7. What is the author's primary defense against the idea that A. Square hates women?
8. Summarize A. Square's explanation of Flatland.
9. Describe the Circle Class physically, and in terms of their role in society.
10. What happened when the Circles regained power following defeat of the color bill? Please be specific.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)