|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what class does the Law of Nature not always apply?
(a) The Professionals
(b) The Priests
(c) The Middle Class
(d) The Tradesmen
2. What classes are able to use this method?
(a) Upper classes
(b) Lower classes
(c) Only circles
(d) All classes
3. What does Hoffman admit Abbott succeeded in defeating?
4. What shape of houses is not allowed?
5. Under what name was Flatland originally published?
(a) B. Triangle
(b) A. Square
(c) Edwin Abbott
(d) John Smith
Short Answer Questions
1. What work are irregular shapes allowed to have?
2. Who is the editor, in reality, who wrote the Preface?
3. What does the editor say is his third reason for writing the preface?
4. What power do women have in Flatland that makes them even more deadly?
5. What physical trait makes women in Flatland dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does A. Square compare sight in Flatland to in the three dimensional world, Spaceland, and what is the comparison?
2. How does A. Square explain the lack of ability to discern changes in retraction or projection in Chapter 1?
3. What happens to aristocratic children who fail exams, and as a result, what does the State feel should happen?
4. What caused women to turn against the color bill?
5. Discuss at least two ways the inhabitants of Flatland attempt to alter natural evolution.
6. How is the temper of women useful in ridding society of the most brutal of the Isosceles class?
7. What was the Universal Color Bill, and why did women support it?
8. What tools do inhabitants use to discern direction in Flatland?
9. What happened when the Circles regained power following defeat of the color bill? Please be specific.
10. Explain why Hoffman believes Abbott was afraid the writing of the book may tarnish his other writings.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)