|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is this shape of house not allowed?
(a) The rain would not properly run off, causing death.
(b) There could be no door for women.
(c) The sharp angle may hurt someone.
(d) The curved exterior would be difficult to discern.
2. Who is Pantocyclus?
(a) The Chief Circle
(b) The leader of the lower class
(c) The young woman's father
(d) A. Square's father
3. What shape are professional men?
(b) Equilateral or Isosceles triangles
(c) Squares or Pentagons
4. What theory had Einstein not yet developed by the time Flatland was published?
(a) The theory of relativity
(b) The theory of movement
(c) The theory of the fourth dimension
(d) The theory of time and space
5. Why is hearing only used on occasion as a recognition method?
(a) Lower classes cannot make sounds.
(b) All classes sound the same.
(c) Lower classes can imitate higher classes.
(d) Higher classes cannot speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Edwin Abbott's field of interest?
2. What does the editor note that A. Square wishes the readers of Flatland would understand?
3. What does Hoffman say is the fourth dimension?
4. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
5. Who is the editor, in reality, who wrote the Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in society as a result of the Color Revolt?
2. What were the events surrounding the spread of desire to color Flatland, and how long did almost complete colorization take?
3. In Chapter 5, A. Square explains how the Law of Nature provides an alphabet of angles through the birth of irregular angles and shapes. Explain what is done with irregular specimens in Flatland. Be sure to include small angle shapes in your discussion.
4. Explain why square and triangular homes are not allowed. In addition, explain why government buildings are allowed to be triangular.
5. In Chapter 1, what does A. Square compare sight in Flatland to in the three dimensional world, Spaceland, and what is the comparison?
6. What happened when the Circles regained power following defeat of the color bill? Please be specific.
7. Discuss at least two ways the inhabitants of Flatland attempt to alter natural evolution.
8. Explain the overall shape of a woman in Flatland, and why such a shape is detrimental?
9. What caused women to turn against the color bill?
10. What are the three rules created for women, in order to protect society? What are the rules in the strictest society?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)