|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fear does the stranger have as A. Square calls for help?
(a) That others will see the Third Dimension.
(b) The others will kill him.
(c) The others will imprison him.
(d) The others will not believe him.
2. What does A. Square point out about the King's space?
(a) It is a circle.
(b) It is a square.
(c) It is a line.
(d) It is a plane.
3. What is the first deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) Writes the situation out mathematically.
(b) Rises above Flatland.
(c) Removes a tablet from a cupboard without opening the door.
(d) Removes dishes from the sink.
4. What class is most likely to marry a woman with irregular ancestry?
5. Who controls Flatland?
(a) The Priests
(b) The Women
(c) The Men
(d) All individuals equally
6. Why does A. Square believe his sons will not understand?
(a) They are triangles.
(b) They are not good with mathematics.
(c) They are not intelligent.
(d) They are Council members.
7. What do circles do to their young?
(a) Prepare them for higher education.
(b) Break their frame to reshape them with fewer sides.
(c) Break their frame to reshape them with more sides.
(d) Place them in boarding schools.
8. What shape does the stranger use to teach about solids?
(a) A triangle
(b) A straight line
(c) A cube
(d) A sphere
9. How does A. Square next attempt to explain the third dimension?
(a) Through speech
(b) Through writing
(c) Through demonstration
(d) Through personal experience
10. How do the inhabitants of Lineland comprehend distance?
11. In Spaceland, what is valued highest: intellect, emotion, money, or faith?
12. How does marriage occur in Lineland?
(a) When a man's voice matches with that of two women.
(b) Marriage doesn't happen in Lineland.
(c) When a woman's voice matches with that of two men.
(d) When two individuals fall in love.
13. What does A. Square tell his wife has happened?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He says he was dreaming.
(c) He says he fell.
(d) He tells her of Spaceland.
14. How do individuals in Lineland move?
(a) Only up and down.
(b) In a single directional line.
(c) They can move anywhere.
(d) Only right to left.
15. What hinders A. Square's writing?
(a) There are only lines to write with.
(b) There is no mathematical equivalent.
(c) There are diagrams.
(d) Their are only tablets to write with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the small creature of Pointland believe A. Square's voice to be?
2. At the end of the chapter, what does A. Square hear that the Council does to individuals who speak of the Third dimension?
3. What do those in power actually do?
4. What does A. Square believe the straight lines in his dream to be?
5. What begins at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)