|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does marriage occur in Lineland?
(a) Marriage doesn't happen in Lineland.
(b) When a woman's voice matches with that of two men.
(c) When a man's voice matches with that of two women.
(d) When two individuals fall in love.
2. What does the stranger do to A. Square at the end of the chapter?
(a) Throws him from Spaceland.
(b) Places him in Lineland.
(c) Places him in the Fourth Dimension.
(d) Places him in Pointland.
3. What shape does the grandson almost grasp?
(a) A circle
(b) A cube
(c) A line
(d) A triangle
4. Who does A. Square decide is fit for his lesson?
(a) His daughter
(b) The Council
(c) His son
(d) His grandson
5. What does the stranger say about the fourth dimension?
(a) It is inconceivable.
(b) It is easy to travel through.
(c) It does not exist.
(d) It is real.
6. What is the first deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) Removes dishes from the sink.
(b) Writes the situation out mathematically.
(c) Removes a tablet from a cupboard without opening the door.
(d) Rises above Flatland.
7. Where does A. Square asked to be taken, after the stranger's explanation of those who believe in the fourth dimension?
(a) Higher Spaceland
8. What does A. Square say about true space?
(a) It is a circle.
(b) It is a plane.
(c) It is a line.
(d) It is a square.
9. How does A. Square attack the stranger?
(a) With his hardest right angle
(b) With his hands
(c) With a gun
(d) With a knife
10. What is a circle in Flatland?
(a) A term for anyone higher than a woman
(b) A polygon with many sides
(c) A true circle, with no sides
(d) A term for anyone higher than a triangle
11. What do all inhabitants of Lineland see?
(b) Lines and points
(c) A single point
12. Why does A. Square call the stranger his "lordship"?
(a) He believes the stranger is the Chief Circle.
(b) He believes the stranger is a king.
(c) He believes the stranger is his boss.
(d) He believes the stranger is a perfect circle.
13. What is the result of the lesson?
(a) The student turns A. Square in to the Council.
(b) The student accuses A. Square of insanity.
(c) The student leaves the room.
(d) The student understands.
14. What is the primary focus of priests?
(a) Become involved in government.
(b) Attend to their configuration.
(c) Raise a family.
(d) Attend higher education.
15. What was A. Square's grandson's reward for his work with sight recognition?
(b) Hints in geometry
(c) A song
(d) A cookie
Short Answer Questions
1. How does A. Square attempt to prove he can see in Lineland?
2. What does A. Square discover about the stranger when he is allowed to feel his body?
3. How does the stranger defend his idea that omnipotence is not a quality of Gods?
4. How do the inhabitants of Lineland comprehend distance?
5. Upon waking, who does A. Square plan to educate about dimensions?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)