|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stranger say about the fourth dimension?
(a) It is real.
(b) It is inconceivable.
(c) It is easy to travel through.
(d) It does not exist.
2. What fear does the stranger have as A. Square calls for help?
(a) That others will see the Third Dimension.
(b) The others will kill him.
(c) The others will not believe him.
(d) The others will imprison him.
3. How does A. Square next attempt to explain the third dimension?
(a) Through personal experience
(b) Through demonstration
(c) Through speech
(d) Through writing
4. What does the stranger show A. Square first?
(a) A true cube
(b) The entire world of Flatland
(c) A. Square's own home
(d) The stranger's home
5. How many inhabitants are there of Pointland?
6. What is A. Square's first question about Spaceland?
(a) Why he can see the stranger's insides.
(b) Why he cannot see the stranger's insides.
(c) Why everything is bright.
(d) Why everything is dark.
7. What recognition method is used as a teaching tool by the stranger?
8. Where does A. Square asked to be taken, after the stranger's explanation of those who believe in the fourth dimension?
(d) Higher Spaceland
9. What do circles do to their young?
(a) Prepare them for higher education.
(b) Place them in boarding schools.
(c) Break their frame to reshape them with more sides.
(d) Break their frame to reshape them with fewer sides.
10. What do those in power actually do?
(b) All things relating to government
(d) All things relating to religion
11. What does the Sphere point out about being self-content?
(a) It equals ignorance.
(b) It equals happiness.
(c) It equals stupidity.
(d) It equals strength.
12. What is the third deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) He rises above Flatland.
(b) He drops below Flatland.
(c) He pokes A. Square in the stomach.
(d) He moves objects without appearing to touch them.
13. What is the first deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) Rises above Flatland.
(b) Removes a tablet from a cupboard without opening the door.
(c) Removes dishes from the sink.
(d) Writes the situation out mathematically.
14. What is the final fate for A. Square?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is imprisoned for life.
(c) He is committed to an asylum.
(d) He is banished from the town.
15. Why does A. Square believe his sons will not understand?
(a) They are triangles.
(b) They are not good with mathematics.
(c) They are Council members.
(d) They are not intelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does A. Square do at the end of the chapter?
2. How do the inhabitants of Lineland comprehend distance?
3. What does the stranger threaten he will do if A. Square does not let go?
4. What does A. Square ask for that he cannot be shown?
5. What is believed to cause deviance?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)