|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Sphere point out about being self-content?
(a) It equals ignorance.
(b) It equals strength.
(c) It equals happiness.
(d) It equals stupidity.
2. What does the Sphere admit at the end of the chapter?
(a) He is only a dream.
(b) He is really a circle from Flatland.
(c) He was wrong, and has discovered the fourth dimension.
(d) He was wrong to be angry at A. Square for his questions.
3. How does A. Square next attempt to explain the third dimension?
(a) Through demonstration
(b) Through writing
(c) Through personal experience
(d) Through speech
4. What do circles do to their young?
(a) Place them in boarding schools.
(b) Prepare them for higher education.
(c) Break their frame to reshape them with fewer sides.
(d) Break their frame to reshape them with more sides.
5. What is the first deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) Removes dishes from the sink.
(b) Writes the situation out mathematically.
(c) Removes a tablet from a cupboard without opening the door.
(d) Rises above Flatland.
6. What does A. Square do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Attacks the stranger.
(b) Leaves the room.
(d) Understands the lesson.
7. Where does A. Square first see Lineland?
(a) In a book
(b) In a dream
(c) In a movie
(d) In his reflection
8. What was A. Square's grandson's reward for his work with sight recognition?
(a) Hints in geometry
(b) A song
(c) A cookie
9. What does A. Square point out about the King's space?
(a) It is a plane.
(b) It is a line.
(c) It is a circle.
(d) It is a square.
10. What does A. Square ask for that he cannot be shown?
(a) The source of rain in Spaceland
(b) The home of the stranger
(c) The insides of his teacher
(d) The source of light in Flatland
11. What is the third deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) He drops below Flatland.
(b) He rises above Flatland.
(c) He moves objects without appearing to touch them.
(d) He pokes A. Square in the stomach.
12. What does the stranger show A. Square first?
(a) The entire world of Flatland
(b) The stranger's home
(c) A true cube
(d) A. Square's own home
13. How does A. Square know he is to be punished for his views?
(a) The Council substitutes smaller angled soldiers to oversee proceedings.
(b) He sees his wife being taken away.
(c) His children are removed from the home.
(d) His brother informs him.
14. What changes A. Square's mind about who to educate first?
(a) He is afraid of divorce.
(b) He is afraid of imprisonment.
(c) He cannot seem to recall the information as clearly.
(d) He realizes women are too dim to understand.
15. What does A. Square first notice about the stranger?
(a) His size and brightness change.
(b) His color changes.
(c) He is a square.
(d) He is a criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape does the grandson almost grasp?
2. What is the primary focus of priests?
3. What does the stranger threaten he will do if A. Square does not let go?
4. What is the final fate for A. Square?
5. What do all inhabitants of Lineland see?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)