|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does A. Square know he is to be punished for his views?
(a) The Council substitutes smaller angled soldiers to oversee proceedings.
(b) He sees his wife being taken away.
(c) His children are removed from the home.
(d) His brother informs him.
2. What does the Sphere admit at the end of the chapter?
(a) He is only a dream.
(b) He is really a circle from Flatland.
(c) He was wrong to be angry at A. Square for his questions.
(d) He was wrong, and has discovered the fourth dimension.
3. What is A. Square's first impression of Spaceland.
(a) It is madness or hell.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) It is not real.
(d) It is ugly.
4. How is the regularity of women monitored?
(a) Through annual visits
(b) Through feeling
(c) Through their own word
(d) By pedigrees
5. How many inhabitants are there of Pointland?
6. What fear does the stranger have as A. Square calls for help?
(a) That others will see the Third Dimension.
(b) The others will kill him.
(c) The others will not believe him.
(d) The others will imprison him.
7. How does A. Square next attempt to explain the third dimension?
(a) Through speech
(b) Through writing
(c) Through personal experience
(d) Through demonstration
8. What prohibits A. Square's student from learning?
(a) The knowledge of mathematics needed
(b) The proclamation by the Council
(c) The laws of nature
(d) The level of intelligence needed
9. What does A. Square fear about this lack of training?
(a) The result will be a lesser male intellect.
(b) The result will be more accidents in the home.
(c) The result will be more public accidents.
(d) The result will be a lack of communication.
10. What is the primary focus of priests?
(a) Become involved in government.
(b) Raise a family.
(c) Attend higher education.
(d) Attend to their configuration.
11. How does A. Square attempt to prove he can see in Lineland?
(a) By explaining the number of each sex next to the king.
(b) By describing a circle.
(c) By describing a straight line.
(d) By explaining that he can see lines and points.
12. Who controls Flatland?
(a) The Men
(b) The Priests
(c) All individuals equally
(d) The Women
13. What is the third deed the stranger does to prove his point of third dimensions?
(a) He drops below Flatland.
(b) He pokes A. Square in the stomach.
(c) He rises above Flatland.
(d) He moves objects without appearing to touch them.
14. What method of recognition is considered illegal?
15. What does A. Square ask for that he cannot be shown?
(a) The home of the stranger
(b) The source of rain in Spaceland
(c) The source of light in Flatland
(d) The insides of his teacher
Short Answer Questions
1. In Spaceland, what is valued highest: intellect, emotion, money, or faith?
2. What does A. Square do at the end of the chapter?
3. How does the stranger defend his idea that omnipotence is not a quality of Gods?
4. What is a circle in Flatland?
5. What changes A. Square's mind about who to educate first?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)