|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the most irregular shapes?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They are allowed into public office.
(c) They are allowed to marry into a higher class.
(d) They are imprisoned.
2. What classes are able to use this method?
(a) All classes
(b) Lower classes
(c) Upper classes
(d) Only circles
3. What were Edwin Abbott's primary interests?
(a) Literature and social sciences
(b) Literature and theology
(c) Literature and physics
(d) Literature and mathematics
4. What is the first means of recognition in Flatland?
5. What bill sought to color women and circles the same?
(a) The Spaceland Color bill
(b) The Flatland Sight bill
(c) The Universal Color bill
(d) The Universal Recognition bill
6. What does the editor compare Flatland's third dimension to in Spaceland?
(a) The fifth dimension
(b) The second dimension
(c) The fourth dimension
(d) The first dimension
7. Who is Pantocyclus?
(a) A. Square's father
(b) The Chief Circle
(c) The young woman's father
(d) The leader of the lower class
8. What does Hoffman say is the fourth dimension?
9. What happens to the trade man in the author's example of problems with irregular shapes?
(a) He is stuck in a doorway.
(b) He is unable to move.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is put into prison.
10. How did the Legislature finally stop individuals from trying to find the source of light in Flatland?
(a) They sent those who questioned to prison.
(b) They told them the light was from God.
(c) They taxed them until they stopped asking questions.
(d) They prohibited the question entirely.
11. Why does the State believe that aristocratic children who fail exams should be killed?
(a) They cannot work.
(b) They are less intelligent.
(c) They cannot have children.
(d) They breed with one another and give birth to irregulars.
12. What does the shape of women prevent?
(d) Spontaneous passion
13. According to Hoffman, what is the goal of the novel?
(a) To waste time
(b) To prove the fourth dimension
(c) To instruct
(d) To entertain
14. To what does the author compare Flatland?
(a) A piece of paper
(b) A book
(c) A globe
15. After the war, who is still allowed to make color?
(c) The intellectuals
(d) The Chief Circle
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape are nobility members?
2. What shape are professional men?
3. What object that helps sight in Spaceland does not exist in Flatland?
4. What does the editor say is his third reason for writing the preface?
5. Where are readers assumed to live?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)