|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first law for women is;
(a) They must enter houses on the North side.
(b) They must enter houses on the South side.
(c) They must enter houses on the West side.
(d) They must enter houses on the East side.
2. What two body parts are the same on a woman?
(a) The eye and the mouth
(b) The nose and the mouth
(c) The mouth and the hand
(d) The eye and the hand
3. What method of recognition was no longer taught?
4. What happened to those who attempted to discover the source of light in Flatland?
(a) They were successful.
(b) They went insane.
(c) They were arrested.
(d) They died.
5. According to Hoffman, what is the goal of the novel?
(a) To prove the fourth dimension
(b) To entertain
(c) To waste time
(d) To instruct
6. What does the editor say is his second reason for writing the preface?
(a) To apologize for errors and misprints
(b) To thank readers and critics in Spaceland
(c) To explain misconceptions
(d) To introduce the novel
7. In what year was Flatland written?
8. On what does the civilization of Flatland depend?
(a) The State
(b) Irregularity of shapes
(c) Regularity of shapes
(d) The lower classes
9. What do inhabitants of Flatland see?
(a) Straight lines
(c) Triangles and Squares
10. Who was the first person to invent color?
11. What does the shape of women prevent?
(d) Spontaneous passion
12. Why are there no windows in houses of Flatland?
(a) Because light doesn't exist inside.
(b) Because light is always present and constant.
(c) Because light comes from the South.
(d) Because light comes only from inside houses.
13. What object that helps sight in Spaceland does not exist in Flatland?
14. What shape are professional men?
(a) Equilateral or Isosceles triangles
(b) Squares or Pentagons
15. What happens to the trade man in the author's example of problems with irregular shapes?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is unable to move.
(c) He is put into prison.
(d) He is stuck in a doorway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hoffman admit Abbott succeeded in defeating?
2. What does Hoffman say is the fourth dimension?
3. What is the Law of Compensation?
4. How did the Legislature finally stop individuals from trying to find the source of light in Flatland?
5. To what class does the Law of Nature not always apply?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)