|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a line as it gets further away in Flatland?
(a) It gets smaller.
(b) It gets thinner.
(c) It gets larger.
(d) It gets thicker.
2. What bill sought to color women and circles the same?
(a) The Spaceland Color bill
(b) The Flatland Sight bill
(c) The Universal Recognition bill
(d) The Universal Color bill
3. How was the bill going to destroy the aristocracy?
(a) Through coloration of women and an increase of sight recognition
(b) Through coloration of Circles and a loss of sight recognition
(c) Through coloration of the military
(d) Through the coloration of tradesmen
4. What is the editor's defense of the second objection?
(a) That the author was writing as other historians have written.
(b) That the author was pointing out the danger of religion.
(c) That the author was writing his true opinion, and has a right to his opinion.
(d) That the author was defending children through irony.
5. What does the shape of women prevent?
(a) Spontaneous passion
6. What have the priests discovered about increasing laws against women that force them to be confined at home?
(a) Such actions result in higher suicide rates.
(b) Such actions result in the death of more women.
(c) Such actions result in higher birth rates.
(d) Such actions result in the death of more men.
7. Who was the first person to invent color?
8. What was Edwin Abbott's field of interest?
(c) Social Relations
9. What does the editor note that A. Square wishes the readers of Flatland would understand?
(a) The book is not supposed to correspond at all to reality.
(b) Not all aspects of Pointland are meant to correspond to Flatland.
(c) The book is to be taken literally at all times.
(d) Not all aspects of Flatland are meant to correspond to Spaceland.
10. What object that helps sight in Spaceland does not exist in Flatland?
11. What can men do when women are in their apartments?
(a) Anything, since the woman won't remember it.
(b) Nothing, since they are inaccessible to men.
(c) They can only speak.
(d) They can only touch the woman.
12. Who is the editor, in reality, who wrote the Preface?
(a) Edward Abbott
(b) A. Square
(c) Banesh Hoffman
(d) Paul Kennedy
13. What army did the Isosceles defeat?
(a) The Circles
(b) The Women
(c) The Polygons
(d) The Right Triangles
14. What method of recognition was no longer taught?
15. What does Hoffman say about the characters of Flatland?
(a) They are well rounded.
(b) They are unbelievable.
(c) They are unnecessary.
(d) They are not interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a man expected to do when meeting a woman on the street?
2. What was one benefit to having color?
3. What do inhabitants of Flatland see?
4. To what class does the Law of Nature not always apply?
5. What is the most common form of house construction in Flatland?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)