|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first means of recognition in Flatland?
2. What happened to those who attempted to discover the source of light in Flatland?
(a) They were arrested.
(b) They went insane.
(c) They died.
(d) They were successful.
3. The author notes these individuals have a similar experience in Spaceland that helps explain what things look like in Flatland.
(b) Tight rope walkers
4. What does Hoffman say about the characters of Flatland?
(a) They are not interesting.
(b) They are unnecessary.
(c) They are well rounded.
(d) They are unbelievable.
5. What was Edwin Abbott's field of interest?
(c) Social Relations
6. In what year was Flatland written?
7. What happens to a line as it gets closer in Flatland?
(a) It gets thicker.
(b) It gets smaller.
(c) It gets thinner.
(d) It gets larger.
8. What ended the women's support of the bill?
(a) The attack of a young woman by an Isosceles pretending to be a higher class shape.
(b) The attack of a young woman by a Circle pretending to be a lower class shape
(c) The attack of a young woman by a Square pretending to be a higher class shape
(d) The attack of a young woman by an Right Triangle pretending to be a higher class shape
9. Why is touching on occasion inaccurate?
(a) All angles feel the same.
(b) It is easy to confuse a square with a triangle.
(c) It is easy to confuse a ten-sided shape with a twelve-sided shape.
(d) It is easy to confuse Isosceles triangles with Equilateral triangles.
10. How was the bill going to destroy the aristocracy?
(a) Through coloration of Circles and a loss of sight recognition
(b) Through coloration of women and an increase of sight recognition
(c) Through coloration of the military
(d) Through the coloration of tradesmen
11. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
(a) They are brutal and unfair.
(b) They are for the good of society.
(c) They are unlikely to help society.
(d) They are unsafe and create problems.
12. What is the third unrecognized dimension in Flatland?
13. Why were women in support of the bill?
(a) They believed it would make them more intelligent.
(b) They wanted style.
(c) Their status would increase.
(d) They believed it would make them more attractive.
14. What does Hoffman admit Abbott succeeded in defeating?
15. Why does the author call the land he writes about Flatland?
(a) To make it easier to distinguish for readers
(b) Because it is flat
(c) To make it easier for him to write about
(d) Because that is what locals call it
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second means of recognition in Flatland?
2. What happens to leaders of rebellions of lower classes who are nearly regular shaped?
3. How can inhabitants conceive of angles?
4. What effect did the end of this method have on the classes?
5. What do inhabitants of Flatland see?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)