|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shapes are included in the Priestly order?
(d) Straight lines
2. What is the most common form of house construction in Flatland?
3. What does the editor note that A. Square wishes the readers of Flatland would understand?
(a) Not all aspects of Flatland are meant to correspond to Spaceland.
(b) Not all aspects of Pointland are meant to correspond to Flatland.
(c) The book is to be taken literally at all times.
(d) The book is not supposed to correspond at all to reality.
4. What group showed the most amazing display of color?
(a) The Woman
(d) The Military
5. What is the first means of recognition in Flatland?
6. Within how many generations did nearly everyone adopt color?
7. What did Pantocyclus tell the workmen they would have to accept?
(a) Their ambitions for military work would be abolished.
(b) Their ambitions for higher classes would be abolished.
(c) Their ambitions for priesthood would be abolished.
(d) Their ambitions for public office would be abolished.
8. What is the editor's defense of the second objection?
(a) That the author was writing as other historians have written.
(b) That the author was pointing out the danger of religion.
(c) That the author was writing his true opinion, and has a right to his opinion.
(d) That the author was defending children through irony.
9. What physical trait makes women in Flatland dangerous?
(a) They have three pointed sides.
(b) They are very smart.
(c) They are pointed on both ends.
(d) They are very strong.
10. What happens to a line as it gets closer in Flatland?
(a) It gets thinner.
(b) It gets larger.
(c) It gets thicker.
(d) It gets smaller.
11. How was the bill going to destroy the aristocracy?
(a) Through coloration of Circles and a loss of sight recognition
(b) Through the coloration of tradesmen
(c) Through coloration of the military
(d) Through coloration of women and an increase of sight recognition
12. What class does the Equilateral triangle represent?
13. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
(a) They are brutal and unfair.
(b) They are unsafe and create problems.
(c) They are for the good of society.
(d) They are unlikely to help society.
14. Who is the editor, in reality, who wrote the Preface?
(a) A. Square
(b) Banesh Hoffman
(c) Edward Abbott
(d) Paul Kennedy
15. What happened to those who attempted to discover the source of light in Flatland?
(a) They went insane.
(b) They died.
(c) They were successful.
(d) They were arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does A. Square say about the aesthetic and artistic aspects of Flatland?
2. What were Edwin Abbott's primary interests?
3. What does the author tell the reader to do to mimic Flatland?
4. What shape are women?
5. What does Hoffman admit Abbott succeeded in defeating?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)