|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
(a) They are for the good of society.
(b) They are unsafe and create problems.
(c) They are brutal and unfair.
(d) They are unlikely to help society.
2. What is irregularity considered in Flatland?
(a) A way to achieve a higher class
(b) A character flaw
(c) Immoral and criminal
(d) A rarity to be praised
3. What does Hoffman say is the fourth dimension?
4. Why are there no windows in houses of Flatland?
(a) Because light doesn't exist inside.
(b) Because light comes from the South.
(c) Because light is always present and constant.
(d) Because light comes only from inside houses.
5. What shapes are included in the Priestly order?
(c) Straight lines
6. What method of recognition was no longer taught?
7. What is the editor's defense of the first objection?
(a) That since distance cannot be measured, it is not comprehended.
(b) That since weight cannot be measured, it is not comprehended.
(c) That since direction cannot be measured, it is not comprehended.
(d) That since thickness cannot be measured, it is not comprehended.
8. What happens to a line as it gets further away in Flatland?
(a) It gets thicker.
(b) It gets smaller.
(c) It gets larger.
(d) It gets thinner.
9. What is customary for women in upper class homes to do at all times?
(a) Never leave the house
(b) Never leave their apartments
(c) Face their husbands
(d) Never speak to their husbands
10. What does the Equilateral triangle look like in Flatland?
(a) An Equilateral triangle
(b) A single point
(c) A curved line
(d) A straight line
11. Where are readers assumed to live?
12. What does Hoffman say about the first three dimensions?
(a) They are spatial.
(b) They are temporal.
(c) They are stable.
(d) They are unstable.
13. From which direction does rain fall?
14. What can men do when women are in their apartments?
(a) Nothing, since they are inaccessible to men.
(b) Anything, since the woman won't remember it.
(c) They can only touch the woman.
(d) They can only speak.
15. What shape are professional men?
(a) Equilateral or Isosceles triangles
(b) Squares or Pentagons
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the most irregular shapes?
2. What is the Law of Nature?
3. What is the second means of recognition in Flatland?
4. What effect did the end of this method have on the classes?
5. What shape of houses is not allowed?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)