|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class does the Equilateral triangle represent?
2. What is the most common form of house construction in Flatland?
3. What is the Law of Nature?
(a) The tendency for each generation to drop in standing.
(b) The tendency for any shape out of the ordinary to be killed.
(c) The tendency for each generation to remain stable over time.
(d) The tendency for each generation to rise in standing.
4. What is irregularity considered in Flatland?
(a) A way to achieve a higher class
(b) A rarity to be praised
(c) Immoral and criminal
(d) A character flaw
5. What does the editor say is his first reason for writing the preface?
(a) To introduce the novel
(b) To thank readers and critics in Spaceland
(c) To explain misconceptions
(d) To apologize for errors and misprints
6. From which direction does rain fall?
7. What physical trait makes women in Flatland dangerous?
(a) They have three pointed sides.
(b) They are pointed on both ends.
(c) They are very smart.
(d) They are very strong.
8. What did Pantocyclus tell the workmen they would have to accept?
(a) Their ambitions for higher classes would be abolished.
(b) Their ambitions for priesthood would be abolished.
(c) Their ambitions for public office would be abolished.
(d) Their ambitions for military work would be abolished.
9. What army did the Isosceles defeat?
(a) The Right Triangles
(b) The Circles
(c) The Polygons
(d) The Women
10. What does the editor say is his third reason for writing the preface?
(a) To introduce the novel
(b) To apologize for errors and misprints
(c) To thank readers and critics in Spaceland
(d) To explain misconceptions
11. What theory had Einstein not yet developed by the time Flatland was published?
(a) The theory of movement
(b) The theory of the fourth dimension
(c) The theory of time and space
(d) The theory of relativity
12. What bill sought to color women and circles the same?
(a) The Spaceland Color bill
(b) The Universal Recognition bill
(c) The Flatland Sight bill
(d) The Universal Color bill
13. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
(a) They are unsafe and create problems.
(b) They are unlikely to help society.
(c) They are for the good of society.
(d) They are brutal and unfair.
14. What does A. Square say about the aesthetic and artistic aspects of Flatland?
(a) They are similar to that of Pointland.
(b) They are similar to that of Spaceland.
(c) They are vibrant and alive.
(d) They are dull.
15. What was this movement called?
(a) The Color Revolt
(b) The Color Generation
(c) The Color War
(d) The Color Age
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Flatland written?
2. What happens to Equilateral children of Isosceles Triangles?
3. What happens to the most irregular shapes?
4. What shape are the middle class members?
5. The author notes these individuals have a similar experience in Spaceland that helps explain what things look like in Flatland.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)