|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the editor say is his third reason for writing the preface?
(a) To explain misconceptions
(b) To introduce the novel
(c) To apologize for errors and misprints
(d) To thank readers and critics in Spaceland
2. Why is touching on occasion inaccurate?
(a) It is easy to confuse Isosceles triangles with Equilateral triangles.
(b) All angles feel the same.
(c) It is easy to confuse a square with a triangle.
(d) It is easy to confuse a ten-sided shape with a twelve-sided shape.
3. What is a man expected to do when meeting a woman on the street?
(a) Allow her to pass to the North.
(b) Allow her to pass to the West.
(c) Allow her to pass to the South.
(d) Allow her to pass to the East.
4. How long did the color movement continue?
(a) Four years
(b) One year
(c) Three years
(d) Two years
5. What is the second means of recognition in Flatland?
6. The first law for women is;
(a) They must enter houses on the East side.
(b) They must enter houses on the West side.
(c) They must enter houses on the South side.
(d) They must enter houses on the North side.
7. What object that helps sight in Spaceland does not exist in Flatland?
8. Why is hearing only used on occasion as a recognition method?
(a) Lower classes can imitate higher classes.
(b) Higher classes cannot speak.
(c) Lower classes cannot make sounds.
(d) All classes sound the same.
9. From which direction does rain fall?
10. What do upper class women do that lower class women try to imitate?
(a) Move their heads with rhythm
(b) Dance with rhythm
(c) Move their backsides with rhythm
(d) Sing with rhythm
11. Who is Pantocyclus?
(a) The young woman's father
(b) A. Square's father
(c) The Chief Circle
(d) The leader of the lower class
12. What does A. Square say about the laws regarding irregulars?
(a) They are for the good of society.
(b) They are brutal and unfair.
(c) They are unsafe and create problems.
(d) They are unlikely to help society.
13. Why does the State believe that aristocratic children who fail exams should be killed?
(a) They breed with one another and give birth to irregulars.
(b) They cannot work.
(c) They cannot have children.
(d) They are less intelligent.
14. What method of recognition was no longer taught?
15. The third law for women is:
(a) Any female found to be infertile is immediately killed.
(b) Any female who speaks out against a man is immediately killed.
(c) Any female found in public is immediately killed.
(d) Any female with involuntary actions is to be immediately killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shapes are included in the Priestly order?
2. What is the editor's defense of the second objection?
3. Where are readers assumed to live?
4. What group showed the most amazing display of color?
5. From which direction do women enter houses?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)