Short Essay Questions Key
1. Explain why Hoffman believes Abbott was afraid the writing of the book may tarnish his other writings.
2. Why does Hoffman believe the development of the fourth dimension does not lessen the lessons of the book?
3. What does Hoffman mean when he calls the novel timeless in the Introduction?
4. What is Hoffman's belief about the relatability of the characters in the novel?
5. What appears to be the reasoning behind the need for the preface of this novel?
6. What is the author's primary defense against the idea that those in Flatland should recognize thickness, and infer a dimension?
7. What is the author's primary defense against the idea that A. Square hates women?
8. Based on the end of the Preface, what is the author attempting to say about the ruling class of his time?
9. Summarize A. Square's explanation of Flatland.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)