|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Of the Climate and Houses in Flatland.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Equilateral triangle look like in Flatland?
(a) An Equilateral triangle
(b) A straight line
(c) A single point
(d) A curved line
2. What does the editor note that A. Square wishes the readers of Flatland would understand?
(a) The book is to be taken literally at all times.
(b) Not all aspects of Pointland are meant to correspond to Flatland.
(c) Not all aspects of Flatland are meant to correspond to Spaceland.
(d) The book is not supposed to correspond at all to reality.
3. What were Edwin Abbott's primary interests?
(a) Literature and theology
(b) Literature and mathematics
(c) Literature and physics
(d) Literature and social sciences
4. What does the editor say is his third reason for writing the preface?
(a) To thank readers and critics in Spaceland
(b) To apologize for errors and misprints
(c) To introduce the novel
(d) To explain misconceptions
5. What does the "pull" in Flatland represent in Spaceland?
(a) Emotional patterns
(b) Magnetic force
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hoffman, what is the goal of the novel?
2. What does Hoffman say about the characters of Flatland?
3. What does the editor say is his second reason for writing the preface?
4. What does the editor say is the first objection to the novel?
5. What does Hoffman say about the first three dimensions?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)