|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which continent dominated the international film market in the sixties?
2. At the end of the 1950s, how many homes in America had a television set?
3. What was the focus of Russian documentaries after World War II, as ordered by Stalin?
4. In France's New Wave, filmmakers experimented with mixing _____.
5. What is the other term for the Angry Young Man movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the trends in American films during the 1970s?
2. How did the invention of the videocassette simplify camerawork?
3. As the studios declined with the invention of the television, how did Americans' tastes in film subject begin to change?
4. Why was the French film industry nearly destroyed because of World War II?
5. What were some of the political issues that made their way into 1970s Hollywood?
6. How did the Vietnam War change the culture of America in regards to Hollywood?
7. Why and how did commercial conglomerates help support the American film industry in the 1960s?
8. How and why did the quality of mass-produced films diminish in the 1980s?
9. How did Germany's film industry attempt to recover from World War II?
10. What was the New Wave movement in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were David Wark Griffith's main contributions to the early cinema? In what ways are his contributions overshadowed by the content of his films? Should these be factors in considering the achievements wrought by his work?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the first several decades of film took place in the midst of several wars, what responsibility did the filmmakers have to their audiences? How did the roles of these directors change from the United States to Europe? How did filmmakers handle the world wars when faced with Nazi persecution?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did the economy determine and depend upon the successes of the film industry in both war and peace time?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)