|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Due to the obliteration of the Production Code in the sixties, what type of films became popular in the seventies?
2. Which Eastern European country became a strong force in the international film community in the sixties?
3. Which of the following was not one of the most respected Japanese directors from the post-World War II era?
4. What event in the sixties shifted the American film industry's focus?
5. What region became renowned for their film adaptations of literary classics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how did commercial conglomerates help support the American film industry in the 1960s?
2. How did Germany's film industry attempt to recover from World War II?
3. How did the invention of the videocassette simplify camerawork?
4. As the studios declined with the invention of the television, how did Americans' tastes in film subject begin to change?
5. Discuss Method acting.
6. How did the New Wave movement from France affect American movie trends in the 1970s?
7. How and why did the quality of mass-produced films diminish in the 1980s?
8. What was the New Wave movement in France?
9. Why did Hollywood studios flourish in the 1980s?
10. In what ways did Japanese cinema flourish in the fifties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the French New Wave movement affect cinema in different countries and in different eras?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Hollywood establish itself as a vital aspect of the American people during times of great turmoil? What does this suggest about the audience's need for escapism and reassurance? How did Hollywood help the country psychologically heal itself during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the rise of Latin American and Irish cinema in the last years of the twentieth century and the first years of the new millennium.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)