|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other term for the Angry Young Man movement?
2. During the early seventies in America cinema, which of the following was not one of the main themes explored?
3. What British comedy troupe had a cinematic bright spot for their country's struggling film industry?
4. What was the main focus in French cinema in the seventies?
5. During Japan's Golden Age in cinema, what country, previously considered a strong force in cinema, began to decline?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the studios declined with the invention of the television, how did Americans' tastes in film subject begin to change?
2. Why was the French film industry nearly destroyed because of World War II?
3. What was the New Wave movement in France?
4. What regulations changed in 1960s Hollywood, as well as technical advances?
5. How did the Vietnam War change the culture of America in regards to Hollywood?
6. How did the New Wave movement from France affect American movie trends in the 1970s?
7. How did the invention of the videocassette simplify camerawork?
8. Why was Japan's golden age in film able to thrive throughout the World War II and beyond, despite the political turmoil?
9. Describe Britain's Golden Age.
10. Why and how did commercial conglomerates help support the American film industry in the 1960s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the first several decades of film took place in the midst of several wars, what responsibility did the filmmakers have to their audiences? How did the roles of these directors change from the United States to Europe? How did filmmakers handle the world wars when faced with Nazi persecution?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Hollywood establish itself as a vital aspect of the American people during times of great turmoil? What does this suggest about the audience's need for escapism and reassurance? How did Hollywood help the country psychologically heal itself during the Great Depression?
Essay Topic 3
How did Europe's film industries recover from World War II? How were their recoveries helped or hampered by the Soviet Union? In what ways were these recoveries indicative of the culture of that country?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)