|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the most popular genres to emerge from Japan's film industry?
2. What became the focus of American cinema in the seventies?
3. Which Eastern European country became a strong force in the international film community in the sixties?
4. What popular American film from the eighties was one of the most successful mixes of both animation and live action?
5. What was the name of the period in England from 1963 to 1970?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the political issues that made their way into 1970s Hollywood?
2. Why was Japan's golden age in film able to thrive throughout the World War II and beyond, despite the political turmoil?
3. How did television damage the film industry?
4. In what ways did Japanese cinema flourish in the fifties?
5. What were some of the prominent trends in European cinema in the 1950s?
6. Describe Italian cinema during the 1940s.
7. Why and how did commercial conglomerates help support the American film industry in the 1960s?
8. Why was the French film industry nearly destroyed because of World War II?
9. What was the Third Cinema theater realism?
10. How did the invention of the videocassette simplify camerawork?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did films meld both science and creativity together? In what ways was this the overall goal of the Film D'Art? What does this suggest about the technological advances in Hollywood throughout film's history?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of censorship in the film industry.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Hollywood establish itself as a vital aspect of the American people during times of great turmoil? What does this suggest about the audience's need for escapism and reassurance? How did Hollywood help the country psychologically heal itself during the Great Depression?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)