|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the social revolution of the sixties in America, how did Hollywood compensate for their budget cuts?
(a) They cut back on the amount of films made.
(b) They invested heavily in Wall Street.
(c) Lower budget movies were promoted in the biggest studios.
(d) Salaries of the technical designers were cut.
2. In Eastern Europe in the seventies, what topic was generally avoided in their cinema?
(b) Historical accuracy.
3. Upon what were the greatest works of entertainment in Britain focused in the seventies?
(d) Art galleries.
4. What event in the sixties shifted the American film industry's focus?
(a) Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Deaths of the Kennedy brothers.
(c) Death of Marilyn Monroe.
(d) Vietnam War.
5. For what did the American film-going public demand in regards to the subjects of films in the 1980s?
(a) The lives of the young.
(b) The lives of the rich.
(c) The lives of the very poor.
(d) The lives of foreign nationals.
6. In France's New Wave, filmmakers experimented with mixing _____.
(b) Location shoots.
7. What was the focus of Russian documentaries after World War II, as ordered by Stalin?
(a) Russian nationalism.
(b) Historical dramas.
(c) Sweeping epics.
8. What hysterical fear threatened artists in the film industry?
(b) Women's liberation.
9. What was the name of France's sudden revitalization in their film industry in the 1950s?
(a) Cinema Noir.
(b) New Wave.
(c) Film du Prince.
(d) Golden Era.
10. During the World War II, what types of films did the governments in Europe support?
(a) Escapist comedies.
(c) Sweeping epics.
(d) Historical dramas.
11. Which of of the following was not one of the associate companies of the commercial conglomerates that helped keep the American film industry from floundering in the sixties?
12. Which of the following men was not one of the major producers in the 1950s American film industry?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(b) Billy Wilder.
(c) Fred Zinnemann.
(d) Elia Kazan.
13. During the 1960s in Hollywood, what was the main focus in the industry's mainstream films?
(c) Political awareness.
(d) International relations.
14. Which continent dominated the international film market in the sixties?
(a) North America.
(d) South America.
15. Which of the following was not one of the main focuses of American cinema in the 1980s?
(a) Government corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the focus of Italy's films in the years around World War II?
2. Which of the following was not one of the most respected Japanese directors from the post-World War II era?
3. Who was the top female filmmaker in Italy from the seventies?
4. What popular American film from the eighties was one of the most successful mixes of both animation and live action?
5. What sort of music became popular for movie soundtracks in the sixties?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)