|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to the cinema's reflection of the American public's distrust of the government, what began to happen to the movie theater?
(a) Theaters became segregated.
(b) Security had to be enforced in the theater.
(c) Attendance rose.
(d) Attendance declined.
2. What genre of film became particularly popular in the early seventies?
(b) Screwball comedy.
3. Why did 1950s allow independent filmmakers in America to practice their craft more openly?
(a) Many directors quit the industry after the war.
(b) Underground artists became mainstream.
(c) The war forced studios to allow low-budget films to flourish.
(d) Film audiences went to television.
4. What hysterical fear threatened artists in the film industry?
(a) Women's liberation.
5. What declined per America's changing tastes and desire for more sophisticated films in the 1950s?
(a) Independent films.
(c) Story lines.
(d) Star power.
6. When Britain began to focus on literary and theatrical stage adaptations for their film industry in the years surrounding World War II, what renowned actor became particularly lauded for his work in this area?
(a) Peter Sellers.
(b) Orson Welles.
(c) Alfred Hitchcock.
(d) Laurence Olivier.
7. What movement is credited with the influx of women in positions of power in the film industry?
(a) Civil rights.
(b) Anti-censorship lobbying.
(d) Immigration rights.
8. What was the name of the period in England from 1963 to 1970?
(a) Sex Pistol's Penance.
(b) Overt Cockney.
(c) Swinging England.
(d) Angry Young Man movement.
9. Upon what were the greatest works of entertainment in Britain focused in the seventies?
(c) Art galleries.
10. What country nearly wiped out the French film industry after World War II?
11. From what country did director Ingmar Bergman come?
12. Which Eastern European country became a strong force in the international film community in the sixties?
13. Low-budget films that had the look of home movies were not popular in which of the following countries?
(d) United States.
14. Who was the comedic French director that rose to prominence in the 1950s?
(a) Vincente Augois.
(b) Robert Bresson.
(c) Luc Besson.
(d) Jacques Tati.
15. During the 1960s in Hollywood, what was the main focus in the industry's mainstream films?
(b) International relations.
(c) Political awareness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of France's sudden revitalization in their film industry in the 1950s?
2. Which continent dominated the international film market in the sixties?
3. Which decade is considered the beginning of Japan's Golden Age in cinema?
4. Which European country's film industry was the most devastated after World War II?
5. What was significant about the economy in American films during the early to mid-eighties?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)