|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the World War II, what types of films did the governments in Europe support?
(b) Historical dramas.
(c) Escapist comedies.
(d) Sweeping epics.
2. What was the main focus in French cinema in the seventies?
3. Which of of the following was not one of the associate companies of the commercial conglomerates that helped keep the American film industry from floundering in the sixties?
4. What is the other term for the Angry Young Man movement?
(a) Pinter Pause realism.
(b) Uprising Cockney.
(c) Chekhovian absurdity.
(d) Kitchen Sink realism.
5. What was the focus of Russian documentaries after World War II, as ordered by Stalin?
(a) Historical dramas.
(b) Russian nationalism.
(d) Sweeping epics.
6. For what reasons did filmmakers simplify camera work in the 1980s?
(a) Eastern European cinematographers influenced American filmmakers.
(b) They were shooting a film that would translate well onto televisions.
(c) Several movie theaters shut down.
(d) They lost their technical budgets.
7. What became the new standard screen ratio for films in the 1950s?
(a) 1.85 to 1.
(b) 16 to 3.
(c) 21 to 5.
(d) 2.15 to 1.
8. In Eastern Europe in the seventies, what topic was generally avoided in their cinema?
(c) Historical accuracy.
9. What became the focus of American cinema in the seventies?
(a) Music as a story-telling device.
(b) Historical accuracy.
(c) Character development.
10. In France's New Wave, filmmakers experimented with mixing _____.
(d) Location shoots.
11. What was significant about the marketing tactics of the American film studios in the eighties?
(a) Trailer editing rose as an art form.
(b) Stars were marketed aggressively.
(c) Patriotism was emphasized.
(d) Youth was repeatedly pushed aside.
12. In what year did the stock market crash in America, causing film investors to pull out of Hollywood?
13. When Britain began to focus on literary and theatrical stage adaptations for their film industry in the years surrounding World War II, what renowned actor became particularly lauded for his work in this area?
(a) Alfred Hitchcock.
(b) Peter Sellers.
(c) Orson Welles.
(d) Laurence Olivier.
14. What was the focus of Italy's films in the years around World War II?
(c) Theatrical adaptations.
15. Due to the cinema's reflection of the American public's distrust of the government, what began to happen to the movie theater?
(a) Theaters became segregated.
(b) Attendance declined.
(c) Attendance rose.
(d) Security had to be enforced in the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the main focuses of American cinema in the 1980s?
2. As the studio system rose again in the 1980s, what area suffered?
3. What was the name of the cultural movement in Czechoslavakia during the sixties?
4. Why did 1950s allow independent filmmakers in America to practice their craft more openly?
5. What was encouraged by the New Wave filmmakers?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)