|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the focus of Russian documentaries after World War II, as ordered by Stalin?
(a) Historical dramas.
(b) Sweeping epics.
(d) Russian nationalism.
2. At the end of the 1950s, how many homes in America had a television set?
3. During Japan's Golden Age in cinema, what country, previously considered a strong force in cinema, began to decline?
(c) United States.
4. Which European country's film industry was the most devastated after World War II?
5. Due to the cinema's reflection of the American public's distrust of the government, what began to happen to the movie theater?
(a) Attendance declined.
(b) Security had to be enforced in the theater.
(c) Theaters became segregated.
(d) Attendance rose.
6. What event in the sixties shifted the American film industry's focus?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) Deaths of the Kennedy brothers.
(c) Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Death of Marilyn Monroe.
7. What was significant about cinema in education in the 1970s?
(a) Universities were mined for potential talent.
(b) Universities began offering film courses.
(c) Films were used as a teaching aid.
(d) Universities opened up their own production companies for the students.
8. What country nearly wiped out the French film industry after World War II?
9. For what reasons did filmmakers simplify camera work in the 1980s?
(a) They lost their technical budgets.
(b) Several movie theaters shut down.
(c) They were shooting a film that would translate well onto televisions.
(d) Eastern European cinematographers influenced American filmmakers.
10. What was significant about the economy in American films during the early to mid-eighties?
(a) Heavy financial losses.
(b) Several loans were received from the government.
(c) Foreign investors took an interest and guaranteed massive kick-backs.
(d) Massive financial gains.
11. What were the primary goal's of German films after World War II?
(a) Correcting Nazi propaganda.
(b) Entertainment for the masses.
(c) Asking other countries for help.
(d) Promoting the country's worth.
12. During the 1960s in Hollywood, what was the main focus in the industry's mainstream films?
(b) Political awareness.
(c) International relations.
13. For what did the American film-going public demand in regards to the subjects of films in the 1980s?
(a) The lives of the young.
(b) The lives of the rich.
(c) The lives of foreign nationals.
(d) The lives of the very poor.
14. In what year did the stock market crash in America, causing film investors to pull out of Hollywood?
15. Which continent dominated the international film market in the sixties?
(a) North America.
(b) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of France's sudden revitalization in their film industry in the 1950s?
2. Which of the following directors was not one the greats in 1940s Italy?
3. Why did 1950s allow independent filmmakers in America to practice their craft more openly?
4. What was Italian director Luchino Visconti's title in his home country?
5. Which decade is considered the beginning of Japan's Golden Age in cinema?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)