|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following directors was not one the greats in 1940s Italy?
(a) Vittorio de Sica.
(b) Vincent Minnelli.
(c) Roberto Rossellini.
(d) Cesare Zavattini.
2. Which of of the following was not one of the associate companies of the commercial conglomerates that helped keep the American film industry from floundering in the sixties?
3. Who was the comedic French director that rose to prominence in the 1950s?
(a) Vincente Augois.
(b) Robert Bresson.
(c) Jacques Tati.
(d) Luc Besson.
4. What movement is credited with the influx of women in positions of power in the film industry?
(a) Anti-censorship lobbying.
(b) Immigration rights.
(d) Civil rights.
5. What was significant about the economy in American films during the early to mid-eighties?
(a) Heavy financial losses.
(b) Several loans were received from the government.
(c) Foreign investors took an interest and guaranteed massive kick-backs.
(d) Massive financial gains.
6. What became the focus of American cinema in the seventies?
(a) Character development.
(c) Music as a story-telling device.
(d) Historical accuracy.
7. What is the other term for the Angry Young Man movement?
(a) Kitchen Sink realism.
(b) Chekhovian absurdity.
(c) Uprising Cockney.
(d) Pinter Pause realism.
8. What became the new standard screen ratio for films in the 1950s?
(a) 1.85 to 1.
(b) 21 to 5.
(c) 2.15 to 1.
(d) 16 to 3.
9. What region became renowned for their film adaptations of literary classics?
(a) Eastern Europe.
(c) Southern Japan.
10. At the end of the 1950s, how many homes in America had a television set?
11. In what year did the stock market crash in America, causing film investors to pull out of Hollywood?
12. What was the focus of Italy's films in the years around World War II?
(a) Theatrical adaptations.
13. In what year was the Production Code revised in the decade following World War II?
14. During the World War II, what types of films did the governments in Europe support?
(b) Historical dramas.
(c) Escapist comedies.
(d) Sweeping epics.
15. What was the name of France's sudden revitalization in their film industry in the 1950s?
(a) Golden Era.
(b) Film du Prince.
(c) New Wave.
(d) Cinema Noir.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the focus of Russian documentaries after World War II, as ordered by Stalin?
2. From what country did director Ingmar Bergman come?
3. What was the main focus in French cinema in the seventies?
4. How did the end of the Vietnam War affect the content of American films?
5. Upon what were the greatest works of entertainment in Britain focused in the seventies?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)