|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was significant about cinema in education in the 1970s?
(a) Universities were mined for potential talent.
(b) Universities opened up their own production companies for the students.
(c) Universities began offering film courses.
(d) Films were used as a teaching aid.
2. Due to the cinema's reflection of the American public's distrust of the government, what began to happen to the movie theater?
(a) Attendance rose.
(b) Attendance declined.
(c) Security had to be enforced in the theater.
(d) Theaters became segregated.
3. In Eastern Europe in the seventies, what topic was generally avoided in their cinema?
(c) Historical accuracy.
4. Which European country's film industry was the most devastated after World War II?
5. What was Italian director Luchino Visconti's title in his home country?
(a) The Duke of Modrone.
(b) The Baron of Venice.
(c) The Baron of Sicily.
(d) The Duke of Conti.
6. Which of the following was not one of the most respected Japanese directors from the post-World War II era?
(a) Akira Kurosawa.
(b) Toshiro Mifune.
(c) Yasujiro Ozu.
(d) Kenji Mizoguchi.
7. How did the end of the Vietnam War affect the content of American films?
(a) Audiences began to look more for "traditional values" again.
(b) Audiences demanded less censorship.
(c) Audience attendance in movie theaters declined, allowing the industry to experiment more.
(d) Audiences demanded more widespread diversity within the industry.
8. In what year did the Production Code become obsolete?
9. Which of the following directors was not one the greats in 1940s Italy?
(a) Vincent Minnelli.
(b) Cesare Zavattini.
(c) Roberto Rossellini.
(d) Vittorio de Sica.
10. What technological advance helped revolutionize cinema and the film-going experience?
(a) Surround sound.
11. At the end of the 1950s, how many homes in America had a television set?
12. In what year was the Production Code revised in the decade following World War II?
13. Low-budget films that had the look of home movies were not popular in which of the following countries?
(a) United States.
14. Which of of the following was not one of the associate companies of the commercial conglomerates that helped keep the American film industry from floundering in the sixties?
15. Due to the obliteration of the Production Code in the sixties, what type of films became popular in the seventies?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what genre did Yugoslavia excel in the sixties?
2. What style of acting became popular in films in the 1950s?
3. Which continent dominated the international film market in the sixties?
4. What became the focus of American cinema in the seventies?
5. What popular American film from the eighties was one of the most successful mixes of both animation and live action?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)