|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1947, what did the House of Un-American Activities Committee began to investigate?
(a) Nazi spies.
(b) Labor laws.
(c) The roles of minorities in film.
2. Which of the following was not one of the main focuses of the film-making committees in the Golden Age of the Studio?
3. What was Harold Lloyd's trademark?
4. What percentage of the American film industry's gross profits came from Great Britain in the early years of the industry?
5. What event in America caused studios to realize that the movie-going public needed entertainment over grim realism?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(d) The Great Depression.
6. Through what did Jean Louis Meissonier project Muybridge's work?
(a) Rear projector.
(b) Glass lantern.
7. Which of the following comedians was not one of the silent film stars from the 1920s?
(a) Charlie Chaplin.
(b) Lou Costello.
(c) Harold Lloyd.
(d) Buster Keaton.
8. What was the standard amount of time devoted to creating a picture during David Wark Griffith's development of film?
(a) One year.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
9. Filmmaker Jean Renoir was the son of what influential artist?
(a) Vincente Renoir.
(b) Marcel LeFever Renoir.
(c) Pierre Auguste Renoir.
(d) Jean Renoir I.
10. In what style did the French produce their films?
11. What was one reason comedy shorts became so popular in the 1920s?
(a) The audiences did not need to follow a plot.
(b) The actors all had scandalous lives.
(c) The tabloid era had begun.
(d) The stories were presented in serial format.
12. What was created in order to satisfy the demands of the Catholic Church (among others) in the 1930s?
(a) Production Code.
(c) Hayes Code.
(d) Decency Council.
13. During the early days of World War II, why did Britain have trouble maintaining their film industry?
(b) Bomb threats.
(d) Denouncement of British films from Hitler.
14. Which of the following was not one of the Little Three in the Golden Age of the Studio?
(b) United Artists.
15. In the first several decades of the film industry, European films focused on the artists, while American films focused on the _______.
(c) Political statements.
(d) Sociological value.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Charlie Chaplin's film persona?
2. What early realization helped films develop both special effects and story lines?
3. What film helped open up the world to the power of British filmmaking in the 1930s?
4. How large was the tax on foreign film earning in Britain after World War II?
5. Who helped Edison open a Kinetoscope parlor?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)