|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of the American film industry's gross profits came from Great Britain in the early years of the industry?
2. What was created in order to satisfy the demands of the Catholic Church (among others) in the 1930s?
(a) Hayes Code.
(b) Production Code.
(c) Decency Council.
3. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
(d) Special effects.
4. What technological breakthrough hurt the film industry in America?
5. Why did the War Department in America ban some of the political movies made during World War II?
(a) The filmmakers inadvertently gave away state secrets.
(b) The visuals were too realistic.
(c) Films from the War Department had been leaked to Hollywood.
(d) The government wanted to keep Americans ignorant of the war overseas.
6. What event in America caused studios to realize that the movie-going public needed entertainment over grim realism?
(a) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Great Depression.
7. During the Golden Age, what now-famous aspects of films came from artists such as Busby Berkeley and Fred Astaire?
(a) Dance numbers.
(b) Sexual innuendo.
(c) Advanced lighting techniques.
(d) Comedy duos.
8. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
(a) Lev Kuleshov.
(b) Enst Lubitsch.
(c) F.W. Murnau.
(d) Fritz Lang.
9. What did the formation of the Patent Company force theaters showing their films to do?
(a) Force women to sit in the shadows.
(b) Allow people to steal the original reels.
(c) Pay taxes to the company.
(d) Credit all films to the Patent Company.
10. What was Harold Lloyd's trademark?
11. What was one of the biggest threats to the film industry in the 1930s?
(a) The war.
(d) Filming on location.
12. What editor displayed the emotional impact of crowd scenes on film?
(a) Sergei Einstein.
(b) Fritz Lang.
(c) Lev Kulshov.
(d) F.W. Murnau.
13. In what genre did RKO specialize during the Golden Age?
14. Which of the following was not one of the the Big Five studios in the Golden Age of the Studio?
(b) Warner Bros.
15. In 1947, what did the House of Un-American Activities Committee began to investigate?
(a) The roles of minorities in film.
(b) Labor laws.
(d) Nazi spies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which artist pushed the boundaries on sex and violence on film?
2. How large was the tax on foreign film earning in Britain after World War II?
3. What fear arose about an audience's viewing experience as films grew longer?
4. During the early days of World War II, why did Britain have trouble maintaining their film industry?
5. What comedy team became popular (and necessary) during the studio's push for pure entertainment in the earlier decades of the Golden Age?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)