|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Flashback: A Brief History of Film Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the main focuses of the film-making committees in the Golden Age of the Studio?
2. What visual effect did Abel Gance develop?
(b) Staged combat.
3. Why did the independent filmmakers head for California while the Patent Company existed?
(a) Griffith held a grudge against Laemmle.
(b) They were not legally allowed to make films without the Patent Company.
(c) A wealth of talent was discovered in California.
(d) California promised the filmmakers they could work without taxes.
4. What were the only restrictions placed on directors in the 1920s?
(a) They could only use one "star" at a time.
(b) They had to stay within their budget.
(c) They were not allowed to take a bigger cut of the movie's profits than the actors.
(d) They had to work subliminal advertising into their films.
5. Which director became renowned for his use of long takes to evoke a darker mood?
(a) Enst Lubitsch.
(b) Lev Kuleshov.
(c) F.W. Murnau.
(d) Fritz Lang.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first several decades of the film industry, European films focused on the artists, while American films focused on the _______.
2. What did Griffith as a director discover that elevated films from being more than technical achievements?
3. What aspect of the newly-heard dialogue in the Golden Age made audiences uneasy?
4. After what major event did film gain popularity in the USSR?
5. From what entertainment aspect did Orson Welles tap in order to innovate the ways films were made?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)