|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Flashback: A Brief History of Film Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early realization helped films develop both special effects and story lines?
(a) Cameras could be operated by one man.
(b) Reels could be cut together.
(c) Filming the weather was not intriguing enough for audiences.
(d) The films should be longer.
2. What did Griffith as a director discover that elevated films from being more than technical achievements?
(a) Special effects and lighting.
(b) Prohibition forced people into the theaters.
(c) Talented actors.
3. What did Meissonier's conversion of Muybridge's photographs create?
(a) A sound machine.
(b) A live-action special effects device.
(c) An illusion of movement.
(d) A projector.
4. During World War II, which director became known for his films that examined sex, greed, and the inherent sadism of humans?
(a) Billy Wilder.
(b) Alfred Hitchcock.
(c) Orson Welles.
(d) John Huston.
5. The Kinetoscope was developed by Thomas Edison and _______ _______.
(a) William Dickson.
(b) Eadward Muybridge.
(c) Norman Raff.
(d) Jean Louis Meissonier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Charlie Chaplin's film persona?
2. Upon whose model of mass production did the Hollywood studio system manufacture films in the Golden Age?
3. With what film technique did European filmmakers begin experimenting?
4. In what style did the French produce their films?
5. For what reason did many great artists leave Europe for America in the 1930s?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)