|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Yakov's attorney?
2. When a newspaper writer reports all the factual details of the case, what does the government do?
3. How is Yakov feeling when he arrives at the courthouse?
4. After reading the indictment, how does Yakov feel?
5. According to Marfa's information, who does the current theory insist put Yakov up to the crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Yakov Bok and B.A. Bibikov.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
After arriving at the cave, both Bibikov and the colonel see roads leading away from the cave. Describe each of these roads and the reaction of each of these two characters upon seeing the roads. Then, compare and contrast these two characters using their reactions as the starting point for a larger discussion about how these two characters are different.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Yakov Bok changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Yakov's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Yakov leaves the shtetl, after Yakov receives his first indictment, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)