|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
2. One day, Yakov receives something from Marfa. What is it?
3. Where does the person visiting Yakov encourage Yakov to look for salvation?
4. What does Yakov's reading in Chapter 7, Part 3 do to his temperament?
5. When is the next time the prosecutor comes to visit Yakov?
Essay Topic 1
Several people that Yakov has been in contact with provide damaging information against him to the police during the investigation of Zhenia's murder. Compare and contrast the following characters in terms of their personalities, their "testimony", and their motivations: Proshko, Zina, and Nikolai.
Essay Topic 2
In the course of the novel, Yakov is involved with two very different women - Raisl and Zina.
a. Compare and contrast these two women. How are they alike? How are they different?
b. Describe the relationship that Yakov has with each of these women. How does Yakov benefit from each relationship? What struggles does Yakov go through as a result of each relationship?
c. Is Yakov better or worse off for having been with each of these women? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
There are many people who are incarcerated or at the prison while Yakov is in prison. Identify at least three people killed at the prison. Compare and contrast each of these deaths being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could - or should - Yakov have learned from each of these deaths?
This section contains 1,572 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)