|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yakov is preparing to leave for his trial, what does the deputy warden insist must happen before Yakov leaves?
2. Who does Yakov see during his frequent hallucinations while in his cell?
3. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what new crime does Marfa accuse Yakov of?
4. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
5. With what does the prosecutor threaten Yakov while the two men are meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Yakov Bok changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Yakov's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Yakov leaves the shtetl, after Yakov receives his first indictment, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Yakov, Nikolai, Marfa, Raisl, and the prosecutor.
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that Yakov has been greatly affected by the murder of his parents that occurred years earlier in the shtetl. Discuss how Yakov's past affects not only his worldview, but also his decision to leave the shtetl and his ability to cope with his incarceration. How does Yakov's past affect his mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)