|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the prosecutor threaten Yakov while the two men are meeting?
2. Why does the attorney believe that they have a chance to win at trial?
3. What does the person speaking to Yakov through his cell door share with Yakov about the speaker's son?
4. For what does the prosecutor scold Yakov while the two men are meeting?
5. Who does Yakov turn to for an explanation about the missing item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Nikolai character at the beginning of the book after Yakov saves his life. What is Nikolai's motivation? What drives him? Then, discuss this same character when he provides false testimony when questioned by the police about Yakov. What is Nikolai's motivation then? What is driving him? How do the events that happen between these two personalities change Nikolai's character from someone the reader likes - or perhaps feels sorry for - into a character the reader begins to hate? Who is Nikolai at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Yakov has a host of visitors to his prison cell. Identify three people that come to see Yakov in prison. Describe the character, the reason for the visit, the end result, and the emotional impact that the character's visit has on Yakov. For each of the visitors, determine if Yakov would have been better off not meeting with the character. Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Yakov Bok changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Yakov's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Yakov leaves the shtetl, after Yakov receives his first indictment, and when the story ends. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)