|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what she sends to Yakov in prison, what new crime does Marfa accuse Yakov of?
2. For what does the prosecutor scold Yakov while the two men are meeting?
3. As Yakov prepares to go to trial, what does he see in his visions?
4. What are the papers sent in with Yakov's visitor?
5. According to Marfa's information, who does the current theory insist put Yakov up to the crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people that Yakov has been in contact with provide damaging information against him to the police during the investigation of Zhenia's murder. Compare and contrast the following characters in terms of their personalities, their "testimony", and their motivations: Proshko, Zina, and Nikolai.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Yakov has been greatly affected by the murder of his parents that occurred years earlier in the shtetl. Discuss how Yakov's past affects not only his worldview, but also his decision to leave the shtetl and his ability to cope with his incarceration. How does Yakov's past affect his mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
Essay Topic 3
There are many people who are incarcerated or at the prison while Yakov is in prison. Identify at least three people killed at the prison. Compare and contrast each of these deaths being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could - or should - Yakov have learned from each of these deaths?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)