|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he begins blacking out, what does Yakov find comfort in?
2. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
3. Why does Yakov refuse to eat?
4. According to new facts that are being learned about Zhenia's death, who is being further implicated in Zhenia's death?
5. As Chapter 8, Part 4 gets underway, who is coming to visit Yakov in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Yakov, Nikolai, Marfa, Raisl, and the prosecutor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nikolai character at the beginning of the book after Yakov saves his life. What is Nikolai's motivation? What drives him? Then, discuss this same character when he provides false testimony when questioned by the police about Yakov. What is Nikolai's motivation then? What is driving him? How do the events that happen between these two personalities change Nikolai's character from someone the reader likes - or perhaps feels sorry for - into a character the reader begins to hate? Who is Nikolai at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, Yakov has to deal with two very different authority figures. Compare and contrast the relationship Yakov has with Bibikov and the relationship Yakov has with the prosecutor. Then, compare and contrast the two men. How do these two relationships influence not only Yakov, but also the events that surround the crime and its investigation?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)