|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell, what is confiscated from Yakov?
2. After receiving the information from Marfa, what is Yakov's initial reaction?
3. After Yakov's visitor runs screaming from his cell and material is confiscated from Yakov, what is he given in return?
4. Yakov begins thinking many evil thoughts after he stops keeping track of the days. Who does Yakov think evil thoughts about?
5. At night, Yakov has dreams of Shmuel. In his dreams, where is Shmuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "The Fixer". Why does the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the struggles Yakov faces, the overarching political climate, and the determination of Yakov to keep busy while incarcerated?
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Yakov has been greatly affected by the murder of his parents that occurred years earlier in the shtetl. Discuss how Yakov's past affects not only his worldview, but also his decision to leave the shtetl and his ability to cope with his incarceration. How does Yakov's past affect his mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
Essay Topic 3
Malamud uses this story to demonstrate how wrong it is to hate people for their religious beliefs and backgrounds. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when acting out of hatred? What do you learn from the author's discussion on hatred? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)